MIDI Driver, music-driven animation creator

Hi,

The first results of the script 0.72 modified for the Mac looks fine. I ran the script which went well. I will test it all the way somewhere tonight.

That would be great a guitar blend tutorial…

Thanks a lot…

greatz

Hello,

At last I found some time to create some exemplary blends with a guitar setup, sorry I took so long. Blends are available here (guitarPlain.blend and guitarFinal.blend). Be aware, that my knowledge of playing the guitar is mostly based on Wikipedia :stuck_out_tongue:

Merry Christmas (or whatever you celebrate now at your place) everyone!

THANK YOU! I have been looking for a script that did this for THREE YEARS!

Thank you! Well written manual and examples too! Great!

SirGagarin, I have made a complete music piece on a piano using your script:

http://vimeo.com/22090053

Next, I’ll work on a mesh and animated armature to “play” the keyboard.
Thanks.
-Jack Harris

Heyhey. Any news on the 2.57 version? Would be great!

Hi there,

After a long break, caused by some unfortunate project, I’m slowly getting back to the Blender business. Thank you very much, that despite lack of news, you’re still interested in the fate of the script.

First of all, I would like to reassure you, that I didn’t give up the development of MIDI Driver for branch 2.5. However, the release of a new version won’t come soon, as I got a little lost with the new API. Therefore, I will have a couple of questions to more experienced script-writers in the forum:

• is there any complete API documentation covering all functions like the one for 2.48 or are we left only with that?
  • does new API allow creation of a separate window/panel exclusively for script’s use?
  • is there in the 2.5* API something similar to the old BGL drawing functions?

I will probably have more questions in the course of script’s development.

So, one may ask, when the new script will appear? I will risk the statement, that before Animusic 3 :wink:

Stay tuned.

Thanks for replying!
It’s just because I’m getting a yamaha CP-1 digital piano (with midi) and I could do amazing vids with it. Record audio from the analog output, and midi over usb, then animate the piano in Blender, add guitars etc… Would be AMAZING…

does new API allow creation of a separate window/panel exclusively for script’s use?

I THINK you can use the python libs for that. Can’t you create a Qt window?
I just know some about it, just started python, I know C++ and PHP better than that :stuck_out_tongue:

Ruben

Just a little hello and thumbs up for the fine work and hoping you’re still thinking of a 2.5 version. I’ve already got several ideas for this script! Cheers!

I’m brand new to Blender, but have been working with music for 2.5 decades now. I remember when the general MIDI standard was released. (yay for dating myself). Anyways, I have started learning Blender in great anticipation of being able to use your script. I watched your video on YouTube and was quite blow away by the animation you assembled.

Please release a MIDI driver script that will work with 2.5x when you can, I would love to be able to play with it!

Thank you so much for all of your time and hard work.
~ Jason

I learned on Blender 2.59, but since MIDI Driver only works for 2.4x I searched for and downloaded 2.49. After I got used to the difference in the interface it wasn’t very difficult to start achieving the same results between the two versions. With a lot reading and experimentation I’ve managed to create my first MIDI Driver animation sequences. Now to get down to modeling and learning more about how Blender works so that I can really get into creating some fantastic models and scenery for my ambitious little project.

I’m still looking forward to a version of the script for 2.5, but until then 2.4 it is!
~ Jason

I appreciate your fine work on the midi script. I hope that you are able to move it along to work with the more recent versions of Blender. It will make an important contribution.

yes , yes and yes. Actually bgl must be more or less the same if not more opengl functions have been added. Blender scripting is very mature and with 2.6 around the corner well, there is no point in planning a 2.5 addon is there ? :wink:

Do you make Animusic 3 ? I loved animusic 1 especially the Maya arena or whatever was called, with the lazer beams etc. Amazing art , truly amazing.

Question for anyone familiar with MIDI Driver:

I have an animation Ipo that I want to start a second or 2 before the note starts. How do I achieve this? I’ve tried playing with the settings, but the one setting I haven’t tried and don’t understand is the “Pause Ipo or Action name”.

Hi there,

JasonWard: To achieve what you want use the leading key option (see the script’s manual: “Changing leading key” section, page 13). The idea is following:

• count source Ipo keys, which have to stand before the note (count simultaneous keys on different Ipo curves as one)
  • take the number of keys from previous step plus one and input it in the leading key slider (fourth field in the animation entries)

And that’s all.
If you want to shift the animation to other place than the existing keys, simply add new key to the source Ipo in the desired position.
I’m aware that current method of source animation shifting may be rather confusing. In the new version I’m going to use the number of frames from the beginning of the source animation instead of number of keys.

The pause Ipo option simply adds a specified Ipo to the animation whenever there is enough distance between two notes (at least equal to the duration of the source Ipo). It is aimed to automatically add something that would occur during a pause, like taking hands away of the instrument. To be sincere – the feature not as useful as I’ve aimed it to be – one can live without it.

Cheers

Just loading pianoFinal.blend Alt A (Bl 2.60) lets the bones play the piano … :wink: so much to learn …

Thank you SirGagarin and the entire Blender community for making my vision a reality. I am proud to present my first true animated music video, “Tiny Bouncing Objects 2.0”

I am still very new to Blender, only downloading and learning it within the past 3 weeks. I made extensive use of MIDI Driver to create this animation. I’ll continue to learn more about Blender and how to use armatures and other fancy features to combine them with MIDI Driver for another fantastic music video soon. In the mean time, please enjoy my very first Blender project.

@JasonWard

Wow! First Blender project?! I stand amazed :eek:

http://statusicons.cgcookie.netdna-cdn.com//user-offline.png
@SirGagarin - akshully, some people would say that God did leave a manual - the Bible.
But since that idea subverts your thread it’s probably best we stick to Blender and midi …

:smiley:

ws

@Hammers

Well thank you! Blender is an amazing program and thanks to the vast array of help documents and tutorials the Blender community has provided for us newbies, it is moderately easy to slip into if one has the interest and time to learn how. =)