Maya LT to be sold on Steam.

Thats not necessarily up to date. They added back mel scripting, obj export and I believe the cap is now 120k. The only way to currently access those changes though is to have a subscription as opposed to buying it in a perpetual fashion atm.

What are our reasons to get Blender on Steam in the first place? Steam is for PC (mac, windows, et al.) users, and PC users can already get Blender from Blender.org. Would it just be another repository for people to notice and download Blender, or would it entail some other, more unique benefits between the Blender and Steam communities?

if it is done like with Krita, it could mean another way of getting a bit of money into the developer fund.

More exposure is a good enough reason for Blender I think.

How about some tighter DOTA support and perhaps cloud save features for a fee?

50 bucks a month and they call it “indie”. :smiley:

Shameless autodesk

Indie != free. If a game dev already familiar with Maya and if Maya LT has all animation/modeling tools available, it might make sense to pay $50 per month.

Whatever decision Steam might make is strictly a business decision for them. But I think it speaks volumes that “Blender is not a hobbled-horse.” Obviously, workflows and asset-libraries that were composed for and with Maya are not going to go away nor lose their value, and this (and many other things) will drive demand for Maya for many years to come. But, somehow, I think that Blender does not need to follow suit. Blender is already freely available without restriction, and, let’s face it, “everybody by now knows what Blender is, and is tracking it keenly.” Blender has joined the ranks of its peers.

Maya probably had good reason to make the deal that it did. But, Blender has no need for such deal-making.

I disagree. People that have dabbled in 3D space for a while probably know that Blender exists, but a lot of them have not tried it because it`s not the industry standard. When they look up which software have been used for some game or movie, usually Blender is not there. In most schools 3D is taught with Max/Maya - while Blender is installed on PCs in my uni, we never turned it on. Lectures were taught in Max and Maya.

The same can be said about your average Steam user, they see Modo, Maya and other tools on the platform but Blender is not there so it might as well not exist for them. If you take a look at what Valve use for DOTA2, Blender is not on that list too. Yet people still use Blender of course, otherwise there would be no donations to Blender foundation from Steam platform.

If the donations from Steam platform enabled to hire two developers to work on gamedev related features, why the hell Blender should not be released on such a popular platform? It`s not only extra exposure, it could vastly increase donation amount so we can get more devs on highly requested features.