Maya 2015 LT Stole features from blender?

mails Gabe Newell

I didn’t knew that 3DS max had this, this changes a lot.

So are you now accusing blender of stealing this idea ? Or are you accepting this thread you started is just silly

I’m not. Just at first it looked like Autodesk took an idea from blender, and that’s quite good. It means that blender has something that maya didn’t. I’m not accusing anyone.

Who has the time and effort for filing a lawsuit? I think it’s very boring and there are no benefits at all.

I guess you don’t work for The Mouse. Disney has a whole phalanx of lawyers ready willing and able to do just that. Lawsuits may bore artists, but lawyers eat that stuff for breakfast.

Specifically as this thread started, lawsuits are pointless and thus boring (not that the nature of their work is boring).

The most simple case in a court may cost about 800-1000 euros, for more complex cases the amount increases dramatically…

All of this money rather spent on donations to help Institute deliver a better Blender, rather than throwing this money on the garbage can.

Well lawsuits arnt out of the question. Patent trolls may lose in court but they do cause stock prices to rise and fall, and also halt production.

Apple patented rounded corners. (How the hell they were able to do that is beyond me)
Candy Crush TM’d ‘Candy’ but only got it to stick in 1 country.

Anything to trip up a competitor and slow them down. Its almost normal business practice these days for these megacorps.

Robocop (the original) was a warning of dooooooooom!
(and Disney is just plain evil. They rarely have OC, they just use public domain and then slap a copyright on it)

It is an Open-Source good buddy.

oh yeah. i dont mean that whoever owns Blender would or even could sue.

Those other companies though, they hold on to their intellectual properties fiercely.
Disney and Apple -will- sue, and what pisses me off is that Disney just does ‘interpretations’ of old fairy tales that dont have any copyright protection, slaps a (c) & ™ on it and then reaps in all the rewards.

Apple I just plain dont like. I dont and didnt like Steve Jobs. He knew how to make money but I would never say that he contributed to technological advancement.

anyway, thats way off topic so I will say no more.

There’s nothing stopping AD from looking at Blender’s source code and implementing something similar in their programs. Since Maya/Max are written in C or C++ or whatever, directly copying the code wouldn’t work, so legally you’d have to prove that they took the idea from Blender and incorporated it into their programs, which would be extremely hard to prove.

Is this pattended by anyone? :smiley: