Map generator from texture (first tests)

live preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd3pdNRqxVQ just switch to 720p for better quality, read the video description

Maps from my software + just a simple node setup with standard values and finally - renders from Blender:

Open in new tab from bigger preview.

Really nice :).

I would love try this when it is available.

It will be available soon (maybe this week).

To all who read this thread: Write in which platform you are interested (Windows or Linux)

i’m still on wind 32
but would definitively like to test this if available !

thanks

Windows 7 x64 for me.

I have many win XP pro 32 and 64, win 7 and win 8 at work, also small renderfarm with Debian GNU/Lenux 64 on server and with slaves running Ubuntu 32bit.

This realy looks like it could be a powerful tool. Q. Will your program allow for saving to Diferant formats? PNG, Jpeg ect ect? and will it maintain the orig image size, or might it suport changing that on output? Example : input RAW .DNG at 1024x1024 but output a PNGa files at 512x512 if disired?

In any case. great work here. and thanks!

sorry but by the way i forgot to mention i don’t build blender i only use SVN !
so hope it is not only a patch and you can have SVN to test this!

happy bl

Linux (Ubuntu) here! In fact, in which language are you coding your app ?

Linux please. Thank you!

But, Why not both? not multiplatform language?

it will be standalone software (…if only i have more knowledge about plugin development :yes:)

currently for testing purposes it support only JPG and PNG - I wonder which formats to choose… about changing the file size on output - it is a great idea so i will add this to my todo list. thanks!

it’s C# but I wonder about rewriting the code to c/c++

I asked about platforms just out of curiosity :slight_smile: It will be multiplatform but Linux version will be released later

…and still i have some things to accomplish (generating seamless textures and better recognition of details) + speed optimization

well i think if this has to become a patch for blender you should go with compatible C++
but not certain which one
check on blender org it should be shown somewhere or ask question in python forum!
it may happen that i get some bmp image but i can always open and save with paint program as jpg!

but can it read different type of jpg like 16 /24 bits or new 32 bits for instance!
or the other one Jpeg2000 i think!

thanks

Definitely Linux, preferably 64 bits. Finally a worthy competitor to CrazyBump, it seems. But Crazybump is only for those pesky Windows users, of course!

I am interested in it for windows.Windows xp and above.

is there any way that i can download this?

Incredible app and the result i see are really amazing.
As for compatibility i guess i have win 7 x64 and i guess again win7 x86 version could work on 64 bit machines …

App is not yet ready… it will take a while

Thanks!

I was not happy with previous results (especially normal map algorithm) so i develop a new solution that gives me more control (level of details, shape enhancement etc) and is way faster than old one. The main goal for me is to recreate original shape as possible.

New results (normal map + specular + ao) now looks better without displacement map:

The stones texture has some issue with disjointed or dead-end borders here and there, but as someone who tried to do the same type of map extraction using a node setup in the Genetica texturing software, I will say to you that such a thing is not easy to solve unless you found some way to do some sort of shape analysis using a sort of AI that can interpret the photo the way a human does.

As far as I know, there’s only a few solutions (like Crazybump) that manage to get close to the right result, but then I hear that not even Crazybump can solve every case.

Can you point out where are those areas? …because for me the error rate in THIS cases is 0, about Crazybump - yes it works well but in some cases I have even better results