Lotus Esprit

Yay! Some advancement!
Made some wheels for the Lotus. Next I’ll continue with the body. Gotta make some modifications to it. :smiley:
Textures I made with Substance Painter. Render in Blender Cycles.

Attachments

What a great thread. The body is very clean and these wheels look perfect. Can we see the calipers up close?

Thanks! I’ll upload the brake caliber render when I get the materials correct. Substance textures and Blender Cycles don’t always work so well together. Just learning the differences between specular/gloss and roughness/metallic and trying to get the Substance export correct maps for me.

Excellent job.

You are doing great! That tire looks so, so real! :smiley:

I am not a big fan of cars but this looks like my kind of car, those hard edges and the simple straightforward look to it. Keep up the good work looking forward to seeing the complete version. :slight_smile:

Good job and w.i.p. :slight_smile:

It gets even better!

Tweaked the setting both in Substance and Cycles. Now it works quite well actually!
Also here’s the brake caliber too! These look used as the final model is going to be a track car.
Edit. And it seems to work well with only hdri lighting too so all should be good. Only some reason the “brembo” -text is black.

Attachments

1 Like

Those are some sexy calipers. I love what you’re doing with the specular/glossy map.

Thank you!

Changed the tires a bit as I found better reference images. And did some bodywork. Behold Lotus Esprit GT1 track car!
The modeling is unfinished and the only textured partion is wheels/tires so far so the render looks very black and silhuette as an artistic solution. Very Batman-like if you ask me…

Attachments

Looking good. Excellent choice of a car

Added mighty rear wing!

Attachments

Looks amazing so far! I can’t wait to see whats next :smiley:

Thank you!

Did some tests and a little comparison between Substance Painter and Quixel DDO.
Substances pros:
-Fast
-Easy to learn
-Well documented, a lots of tutorials
-Standalone
-Good and fast 3d viewport

Cons:
-Don’t officially support Cycles (needs a bit tweaking to get it working)

Quixels pros:
-Relatively more tweakable because Photoshop
-(a bit) Better and more constant material library (bare metals etc)
-Feels a bit more professional IMO
-Supports Cycles

Cons:
-Needs Photoshop to work
-A bit slow and heavy time to time
-Bad documentation, not too many tutorials

And I mean it feels so badly documented that Quixel feels secrative about some of it’s features and somewhat unfinished software. At least it is quite stable right now! And it got 3D viewport in newest version. That’s a big plus as Substance Painter have had it some time.

Quixel’s result looks a bit lighter and “realistic” as I didn’t have to tweak setups so much as Quixel supports Cycles. Of course I could adjust Substance Painters materials or tweak Cycles nodes to make it a bit lighter. Hope the Substances Cycles support is on it’s way.
Both are good and you can get awesome results with both of them!

Substance:

Quixel:

Attachments

Keep up the good work, lovely

Epic man. One of the few cars of this body style that I fuck with. Can’t wait to see it finished. I’m working on my first car model right now and it’s quite challenging, so I’m happy to see someone else positing progress shots.

Looks SUPERB, just only one thing mate … this tire is real? From a Lotus car? The matrix looks simple-weird if U know what I mean. I know the original car is old (1975 I think) but still think that symetrical are not usual. Other than that it looks AWESOME!

Sincerely, Jan

This is fantastic! I’ve always been too scared to tackle a car but seeing this including your utterly amazing materials work with Substance makes me want to give it a go. I’m just beginning to tinker with Quixel so need something meaty to test my skills out!

I’m not sure on the tyre tread either, I’ve never seen tyres like that before. Apologies if it is correct though! :slight_smile:

Thank you!
Car modeling can be tricky but you have to start somewhere so go for it! It teaches a lot.
The tire and tread is from reference pictures. Some kind of track tire for rain as it got some tread (I don’t know the exact model, but it’s from 90’s). The second option would be slick track tire and it’s not so interesting to look at…

Now the tire material works too! Not too shiny. Quixel texture maps need some tweaking too but are a lot easier to get to work. Also the carbon ceramic brake disc looks a bit more like it should look.

Attachments