Let´s Play your Blender Game | Episode 1

Here´s my critique of the Games from BGMC 22. Congrats to the winners and everyone who entered :smiley:

Of course. My game had to be the cover game for the critique video.

loved the video! And I’ll turn down the volume next time sorry ahaha, I always use a really low volume for mixing stuff so I didn’t realize how loud it was.

Lots of useful critique! Checkpoints is definitely something we should have looked into and maybe turning down the digestion rate :slight_smile:

Yeah, if your game has progress (not just continuous random gameplay) there should be checkpoints.

I’m afraid after dying in the lobby of undertow I just watched Kenrick’s video to see the rest of the game. I didn’t have time to restart from scratch multiple times.

BTW if you’re doing reviews of blender games my first game Blender Battletech is my most popular;
http://gamejolt.com/games/blender-battletech/76068

Though my favorite is Crazy Bomb Ninja;
http://gamejolt.com/games/crazybombninja/73673
Which was a BGMC winner. :slight_smile:

Neither of them have checkpoints though as the gameplay is not progressive, but instead the idea is to play again and again and try to get a high score (Crazy Bomb Ninja actually uploads the high score to the gamejolt page).

CG Sky: I really like the review video you made, And I love most of the effort that my fellow game designers put into their games. It’s very inspiring :slight_smile: that said, next competition I’m going to join in…

happy blending

The video was very well done and felt focused.

I had a hard time to not feel satisfied when you gave notice for the way the game guided the player were to go by its level-design. The way this was one was possible by watching a lot of videos which were similar to yours. The easiest to notice is first off the three lights in the distance, then the road. But then I had some that were more discrete, I believe the most discrete were that the ice area made were shaped into an arrow pointing in the direction of the dress.

The method I used the most to guide the player were to use the color orange, which stood out from the rest. All the snow-figures with the carrot noses placed in such ways that from the behind people shouldn’t the notice of them, but when they are in front of them they should unconscionable go towards them. It was tricky at some points to hide the nose from the players, since it were an open world.

The spiders were added for to avoid the player to just hold the forward key and stay awake to avoid the spiders.

I’m curious about the game-breaking bug. Were did you find it? I had it in the previous version which didn’t have the polygonal graphics. In the one you played it’s possible to finish the game.