Lemon skin challenge

If any one wants just the disp map, here it is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]340491[/ATTACH]

Now it’s a lime.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]340497[/ATTACH]

On the displacement/bump maps, it seems to me that a synthetic approach is probably better than trying to adapt a real image of lemon skin. I had trouble with real images - getting them to tile without artefacts.

Strikes me that we should be using pure colours and letting the lighting etc take care of the differentiation in tone. All pretty elementary stuff I imagine but, all the same, not trivial to get absolutely right.

Time I put some work back in … but don’t hold your breath. I have a busy weekend coming up.

But thanks everyone - worth 10 tutorials

no uvs on it just displace mod with clouds texture displace

trying to learn blender to where i dont have to use UVs hate unwrapping

The displace modifier will have problems pinching at the poles, the area is just too dense, regardless of the mapping.

Shouldnt have used a sphere.LOL
your setup would work with the nodes.:slight_smile:

Try it out. Put your modifiers and/or materials on the lemon polysphere from the blend I posted. Your material looks pretty good, but so much of the feeling of a lemon comes from it’s geometry/texture.

My computer wont download any thing all i can do is upload i’ll have to model it.
i’ll just make a cube and subdivide it
it look like what you did

This post is a test for an issue with attached images…

super quickly and only like 20-30 samples. but you get the idea. its just a mix of diffuse yellow, glossy white and sss orange on a subdivided sphere with some voronoi f1 displacement to give the bumps.

just a note to people working with sss: the “scale” value is super important, as it can make a massive difference in how the scattering looks. similarly, altering the various RGB values under “radius” makes as much of an impact on the transmitted colour as the “colour” value itself.

Fabulous … best so far (in my opinion)

That is really nice shteeve. Blend or nodes?

yes shteeve’s is the best so far.

The remaining work is probably in getting the shape of the bumps correct. The real lemon isn’t just straight craggy, it has some small pores surrounded by larger bumps.

I like these shading research. SSS, all procedural, mixed Voronoi for bump and color, displace modifier for irregularities.

https://db.tt/5iVpxEid

Marco, you are the man.
Amazing

I’m very impressed by all of these results - but if I’m going to be picky I’d say that it is the correlation between the bumps and the small pores (as Kemmler has pointed out) that is key to the way lemon skin works.

Interestingly, I think it’s probably the same problem when it comes to skin - larger cells each with a hair follicle in the middle.

MarcoG_ita: Your result is beautiful (much better than I am capable of right now) but I guess we’re looking at random bumps and random pores without any correlation.

I’m so pleased to have kicked of this thread. On the face of it, it’s a simple problem but there’s a whole lot of stuff to be learnt from doing it.

@michalis - too kind, thanks as always mate!

@omnivorist - darker dots and bump pores are in correlation, i used the same procedural map for both, but one goes into bump, one into a color mix node. I agree though is not obvious enough and the voronoi cells are a bit different from real lemon skin, the Voronoi map i feed into could be improved a lot. I think a cellular map ala 3dsmax would help maybe. I should play to get the voronoi more round-ish, sparse and tiny.

#34, marcoG_ita - Wow, that’s just awesome. Amazing test!
Any time I see such crafty renders I’m so envious :slight_smile:

This is an attempt I made a few time ago, and never finished (the displacement and details of the inside are bad)
For the skin I used a Displace deformer with a Stucci texture, and this image for the bump:

paolo

@0rAngE - thank you! same here when i drop to dynotopo thread! :smiley:

@sourvinos - that bump is doing really well, is that Cycles or Maxwell?

I adjusted the procedural map to get it more dotty, darker dots are a bit harsh still.

https://db.tt/VbVVWcei