Judgement day for WinXP is here; Will you choose Microsoft or the land of Tux?

Bite him hard, most definitely. Heh. Yeah. I dunno about Win8, as I said. I just heard it’s been cleaned up a lot. And as for Linux, the only reason I wouldn’t suggest it to the average user is because it’s harder to get regular applications to run on it. I know there’s Wine and all of those. I know Linux has open source versions of every office program in existence. I know Linux is bridging that gap, but the average user who is native-Windows likely doesn’t have the patience to switch, convert, set up, whatever.

So sure. Win7, or give a try for Linux.

I’m upgrading to Win 7. It’ll be the last Windows version that I’ll ever use. If there were more Linux solutions now, I’d dump Windows all together soon but…

I’m almost certain that I’ll be able to ween off of Windows by 7s’ EOL.

The day is here, WinXP is set to become a very dangerous platform to work on if you’re connected to the internet.

For those who can’t afford Win7, Win8, or a new machine, the only option will be to migrate to the land of Tux (if you can handle the possibility of needing the console). It’s too bad that Mint and Ubuntu hasn’t yet gotten to the point where downloading and using any given application is as neatly packaged and easy as in Windows, otherwise they would have a good advertisement to welcome the remaining XP users.

Further evidence that WinXP is indeed getting out of hand. Sure good thing that the community is keeping tabs and informing others of the inherent issues regarding this piece of software.

Personally I am not trusting the “Win8 performs as well as WinXP” story… might count if you have 1+GB Ram, but that is not the case on my laptop here.
I wont touch my machine until I have money for a proper new desktop, and this will be fired by Linux Mint Debian Edition then - at least the first month, if I dont manage to get used to it in that timeframe, I will bite the sour apple and get me some Win7.
But I am not going to mess with my only machine, just because MS decides to ditch a product that runs on 15-25% of all web-connected computers… doesnt matter how many decades before the end was announced, if the numbers in the present tense look like that, they should show responsibility and continue supporting it. Another reason why I really hope that I will be able to live with Linux only. Also rolling releases ofc, I dont want to change one update hell against the other :slight_smile:

And, no matter what Microsoft might say about “end of life” for XP, I am quite sure that they will find it necessary to continue putting out security-updates for it. The risk of not doing so is simply too large.

Microsoft’s in an awkward spot right now, because every new release of Windows, including 8, has been snubbed in favor of … XP. They’ve only given rise to “I’m a Mac, and I’m a PC” ads on television. The mere fact that this coincided with the point at which MS put Marketing in charge of user-interface design is, of course, coincidental.

Actually, Windows 7 now has up to twice the marketshare as XP, I use 7 and it’s probably the best OS that Microsoft has created (the issue might be is that most of the PC’s you find in stores has Win8 on it instead).

People moved on and either upgraded or didn’t and made do. Not much more exciting than that. Everything is related to marketing, but at the same time, you can only patch a tire so many times before you have to change it.

I think the only difference here is that the switch from XP to 8 is quite intimidating, and frankly, irritating for many users. XP was similar enough to it’s predecessors that most people didn’t think about it much. I for one do not like Windows 8 and refuse to upgrade to it. I’ll stretch my use of 7 out as long as I can and wait to see if they get the next version right.