is this render realtime? ??

There is only one way to settle this - BPR has to make a similar scene for BGE. Good thing there are tons of HDR, texture and models available online for free and can be used with Blender and BGE.

@Motor

I don’t think it’s the tools,
I’m sure this is possible to some extent in BGE

but just like anything else it all comes down to the user,

The guy who made this is probably an arch viz guy trying to submit an entry to the ronen beckerman unreal engine 4 arch viz competition.

I’m sure that the guy wouldn’t have a problem doing it in BGE or even bryce 3d(okay that’s stretching it too far).

That remains to be seen, since I haven’t seen any archviz done in BGE (and BPR constantly claiming BGE is as good as UE4)

At the beginning of this tutorial, you can see some arch viz and in theory, since it is already baked, you can put it in the BGE

Baked… UE4 has real-time GI, and a lot of arch viz folks lately have been using it.

Also, it’s nice to do it with real-time techniques as you can fast forward time of the day and client can see how interior / exterior look like.

Really? :rolleyes:
BGE is great, but it’s honestly stupid to think it’s on the level of UE4.
Doesn’t matter who thinks that, it’s not true. UE4 is up there with Source and Cryengine in terms of power, and not even Unity 5 can reach that(although it comes close).
Combine UE4’s power with the marketplace(I admit UE4 marketplace is a pipsqueak compared to the Unity Asset Store), customizability, scalability, ease of use, and support(again, pipsqueak compared to Unity) and BGE cannot reach that at all. Also Epic hands out a treasure trove of assets to you free.

Lol, don’t ask/tell me - ask BluePrintRandom and he will prove you wrong :smiley:

fair point,

Although i’m still very skeptical with this “REAL TIME GLOBAL ILLUMINATION!”, it sounds like something out of a dream.

Yes very baked. I think similar effects are possible or almost possible with the BGE and python, using very high res cycles baking - so you would have to wait several hours for the light map to bake before it would be viewable in the game engine.

UE4 has had a technique for quite some tim*+e called “cone step mapping”, and more recently maybe more, I haven’t looked at the cutting edge shaders. The light-map system (called lightmass) is tightly integrated with the shader system, so easy to use the same lighting parameters for real-time components as for baked components.

I think they also use light probes for dynamic (moving) objects to give them realistic shading when they move from indirect shadowed regions to lighter regions etc, these light probes would be more than just a static cube map baked from the light mass, they might be very down-filtered or contain spherical harmonic information. The shader system is very flexible.

So to be honest … I wouldn’t bother with cone step mapping for most games, maybe console if the computation budget permitted … and the light probes might be possible in cycles with some custom shaders and a render set up to bake to a cube or a sphere to create a cube map using cycles baking and osl to compute custom values to write into the textures if you were writing SPH values or something (i don’t know what the shader wizards have invented recently).

Yup,
I agree with that to be honest,
If I had to chose between UE4 or BGE, I’d pick UE4,

Because it has more resources.

But let’s not dismiss the BGE.

I love python more than C++

and UE4 doesn’t have python support.

See? There’s something to be proud of.

Someone made it in UE4 recently:

And I am not sure if this one is in git repo already or not yet:

Well there has to be some kind of flaw that’s stopping people from using it,

because Vray is still in business because of how fast their brute force GI is

And one of Cinema 4D R15’s main bullet points were about how fast the new GI is

Why isn’t this an industry standard?
Why isn’t any CG artist demanding real time GI for cycles,mental ray,vray,etc?

Because it’s not true multi-bounce simulated GI. It does not use path-tracing to determine how light bounces around the room but uses elaborate methods to approximate it.

In short, it trades accuracy for speed to get it to run in real-time like everything else when it comes to real-time applications and game-engines.

Vray and other render-engines are still relevant because they are accurate and are able to reach a visual fidelity that real-time applications currently cannot.

There you go.
Just the answer I was expecting,
thanks.

I am not that great of a artist, but skills go a long way,

btw - I have not said a word about BGE, I was just interested if unreal - FLAT * was real time (I never heard of it)

You can’t have accuracy and performance at the same time. So, if you want to do real-time stuff that looks almost as good as pre-rendered scene, then you go for real-time solution, even if it’s not completely accurate.

http://www.realtimerendering.com/blog/cfp-hpg-2015/

I beg to differ.

[quote=“Fax,post:4,topic:647865"”]

Is this just fantasy?[/QUOTE]
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from the BGE.

There you go, off topic again about the bge Btolputt,

if you love it so much you should merry it :smiley:

sigh Some people just don’t understand the classics…

Bohemian Rhapsody