Is Firefox becoming yet another self-destructing FOSS app.?

@Ace Dragon: The thing is for a corporation sometimes it only appears as though they’re putting the bottom line above users when those at the helm are thinking more about the future. You know they say it takes money to make money and from a business standpoint I think sometimes a company finds themselves in an environment where they have to push out some overpriced cheap crap in order to shore up the funding for something better later down the line.

It’s certainly not the most desirable of situations a business can find themselves in, but they’ve gotta do what they’ve gotta do to stay alive. This is really the type of situation you find coming out of markets with fierce competition, those markets that are largely or virtually monopolized usually just put the bottom line above users plain and simple because they can get away with doing it consistently.

As for putting ideology above users. I think this is a different realm entirely because we’re talking about ethics here and really a major part of ethics is sticking with them not only when it’s easy, but especially when it’s tough. This means aligning with your ethical views whenever there’s a choice between your ethics and essentially anything other than. So when you’ve got users demanding something of you that requires something that falls outside of your ethical alignment then you must choose your ethics above the users otherwise not call yourself ethical.

The choice as to whether one desires to be ethical or not is, like any other, a choice that belongs solely to the individual and I’m not saying that it is good or bad to choose one path or the other, simply pointing out what I believe to be true. Important to note, though, that it is only what I believe to be true, meaning it is not necessarily true.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” -Mahatma Gandhi

P.S. One of the interesting things about ethics is that one could be one of the most heartless and ruthless businessmen and still be considered ethical if what he does aligns with his personal ethics. Just being ethical doesn’t necessarily denote someone is some type of saint because ethics are relative to their respective owner.

If one chooses to be ethical they must take care to be mindful. The mind can play tricks on itself, one of the pitfalls here is that the mind sometimes tries to trick itself into believing it is taking ethical actions when in fact it is not. It is all too often that a person is their own greatest enemy, they will lie to themselves and twist their own reality so as to avoid seeing a truth they wish so not to see. This is, in my belief, not particularly evil, but instead it is the brain trying to avoid pain.

By any means, I’m not saying it’s my opinion, it’s just a mention of one of the common sentiments on the internet in general, the same with the one for FOSS.

I think that the sentiment is certainly not always off base, but at the same time I think consumers all too often fail to see past their own needs to consider the needs of others.

Try Opera (the Chromium-based one, not the old one). Everybody thinks it’s this obscure browser that isn’t compatible with anything, but let me tell you – it’s the fastest most reliable browser out there. Firefox: crap, IE: crap, Chrome: meh. Try Opera… satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. -End commercial-

Damn guy like most of us I tried Linux and various browsers years ago. Then I migrated back to Microsoft because it simply works for me with the least hassle.

@theoldghost: Personally I use both Windows and Linux. I run Windows for ease of use and compatibility reasons, meanwhile from Windows I have VirtualBox running Ubuntu with the Xfce desktop. My firewall blocks all Windows applications, save for VirtualBox, from sending/receiving network data. While I’m sure the setup isn’t perfect, it does a great job of giving me the compatibility and ease of use Windows offers while maintaining the security benefits of Linux. Anything I do on-line is done through Linux which provides an extra layer of security shielding my Windows host OS from spyware, adware and virii. I keep the networked options allowing shared folders and such in VirtualBox turned off and transfer any files using a custom Java application I wrote called @Chat, which is available for download on my site.

As for my browser, in Ubuntu I use Firefox and have no complaints. Under Windows I use both Firefox and Internet Explorer, not for browsing the web, but for testing changes I make to my web-site off-line and viewing off-line API documentation and whatnot.

Had this laptop since Jan. 2010 and still runs like new. Heh, the Windows system tray still only has icons for the original factory installed applications, such as volume, power and wifi icons, plus one extra icon for Quicktime, but that’s it. :slight_smile:

P.S. Occaisionally the system tray has an extra icon when Adobe pops up telling me that it cannot connect to the internet to update itself. Yeah, Adobe, I know. Ain’t broke don’t fix it, haven’t seen a PDF that didn’t work yet sooo…