Is Adobe-photoshop essential?

Photoline, Krita, and Inkscape for me. Also nice is Photoline’s ability to link up the other two for a round-tripping workflow. And Photoline’s PSD import is excellent (especially in the latest beta: even smart objects and its editable content is retained).

Instead of Photoshop I would argue here that you might want to invest your money in an application such as 3dCoat and/or Substance Designer/Painter. Photoshop’s 3d painting and 3d mode is terrible and awkward.

My background: I used Photoshop professionally since version 3.5 - a very long time. And I dropped it 2~3 years ago, and I am extremely happy with my alternative workflow.

‘Krita is a nice tool, but photoshop is essential, in my mind. You know you can download a free version of Photoshop CS2 and use it legally, right?’

You cannot if you don’t have a legal copy you bought before.

yes you can: http://www.redmondpie.com/download-adobe-photoshop-cs2-for-free-legally-while-you-still-can/

So what do you do with GIMP and with photos.

Actually as stated PSD for learning purpose offers the most resources and one could argue it is also
the most feature rich app. Also in the industry it is more or less the standard. With GIMP you don’t get far on a resume - sadly.

Anyway the kid is curious about image work for textures and there I would use dedicated texture painting apps.

No, you can’t. Write a letter to Adobe!

If you are going to get Photoshop, Creative Cloud is inexpensive and much more stable than some old CS2 version. Instant updates to new tools and bug fixes makes it worth it if you are looking at using it for an extended period of time, but the fact that it is monthly make it easy to drop if you care less about keeping it in case you become more comfortable with a different workflow.

AS for the CS2 argument - we already had oodles of tread posts about that, no point arguing over and over.

not interested in a nuh-uh yes-huh discussion. if you have information you’d like to discuss, pm me.

Then make your search. It is legal for former customers.

Quite easy they gave it away for people who own a license. But it is not legal for people who do not own a license to use it.

The only thing is you can download it easily and copy the CS 2 SN. They turned off their servers so this was a needed
work around to keep those who have CS 2 running.

Dude, he gave you a link. Read it. It only takes seconds. Nothing magical about it. Other companies do it in exchange for your email address.

I didn’t bite. I’m no longer into lifelong commitment. Buying a proprietary app means you’re destined to upgrade it and spend money in religious fashion.

Judging by how many great pieces of art are out there made with Krita / GIMP, I’d say Photoshop is quite essential.

Then it is for you, too. Make your search, it is only legit for former customers.

If you can’t paint in GIMP, you probably won’t be able to paint in Photoshop either. Painting is a skill that is developed through practice.

For photo-texture type work, I can’t really think of anything I could do in Photoshop that I couldn’t in GIMP, but Photoshop has a lot better non-destructive editing options, has a significantly less clumsy workflow, and performs really well even at very high resolutions. Basically I can usually get something done faster with a lot less effort in Photoshop than I can in GIMP, but I can still produce high quality stuff with GIMP.

I’d grab an Adobe trial and see if you think it’s worth adding to your toolbox or not.

Well, despite his best efforts to be unhelpful, Alma is indeed correct.

Here is a link, in the spirit of sharing and generosity: http://www.techspot.com/news/51316-adobe-offering-creative-suite-2-for-free-but-they-didnt-mean-to.html

It is a pitty that on Win and Linux you have no other choice besides GIMP or Krita.

On OS X there are two very cheap apps that can do most of what one needs for texture painting.

I often tried GIMP but the slow speed is just what ticks me off Win and OS X.

What should I say? (sigh)
I told a fact (multiple times), you were too lazy to use Google to check it if it is true or to write a letter to Adobe, so that makes me an asshole? :wink:
To be honest I never met this kind of attitude on BA ever.

Cekuhnen, have you tried Affinity Designer? I never did and I don’t have a Mac now, but I heard good things about it.

it’s a matter of attitude, man.
I took the time to google it, I clicked the first link, I posted the information that I found that was accurate to my knowledge. I could have looked farther, but I found two different sources that said nothing about requiring a previous license.

You threw out a fact that seemed to contradict the facts that I had taken the time to look up, with nothing at all to back it up. How am I to know that you aren’t pulling it out of your ass? I did look it up, that’s where I got the link that I took the time to post. from where I am sitting, you are just hurling out opinions with nothing to back them up.

I was wrong, I followed a (common) misconception that was posted online and I didn’t fully vet it. My bad.
You were correct, but you were only interested in telling people they were wrong and that they should write letters to Adobe (seriously, you want me to fill out an envelope for this? it isn’t the 40s anymore). you made no effort to inform anyone on an issue that is obviously poorly understood. That is why you were acting like an asshole.

I don’t know if english is your native tongue or not, and I can understand that tone can be lost over the internet, but I want to inform you how your tone came across on this thread. I don’t care if you thought you were communicating with love and compassion to deliver truth to the masses, it came across as rude and abrasive. Now if you just want to give up on your communication skills because you are already right, don’t be surprised if other people call you an asshole in the future.

I’m guessing most good digital art is made by professional artists, who would be using Photoshop as a matter of course (or maybe Painter, like concept artist Ryan Church). GIMP/Krita users are probably (I’m guessing here) mostly amateurs (David Revoy being an obvious exception) who are not producing great art because they don’t have the experience. Not necessarily because of the tools.

I do and own it. I left adobe when they went with the Cloud stuff because since years Adobe does not add anything meaningful to AI or PSD.

Affinity Designer is now a good AI replacement . Here and there Ai has some more refined tools like text styles and path styles but AD is catching up fast.

For 50 dollars one would be stupid not to use it.

Also Affinity apps save in the same file while Photoshop and Illustrator use different files.

So you can open a photo file in design and edit the path stuff while in Photo you also have the great path tools of design.

and we all know how pathetic Adobe PSD path tools are.

Affinity started fresh from scratch doing the OS X apps so unlike Adobe they had no old infrastructure to carry on.

I love the fact that the files can be opened and edited in each app while each app offers either
great photo or path tools.

next year the publisher app comes out like InDesign.

Lets not forget that AI only got decent pen tools and artboard after they bought Macromedia
and yet still they failed to offer Freehands great pen tools and no master pages for art boards.

AI cannot even fill the text background. that is exclusive to InDesign. I am tired of Adobe.

Years ago people were laughing at Corel Draw vs Freehand.

But today I am happy there is a cheaper and FASTER app than AI.