[Input] Custom Blender Setup | Silo/Maya- esque

Fixed.
Edit:
BTW, there’s some more tweaks. For instance (all) Mira Tools now allow Silo/Maya ALT-Navigation

oljwood , and enyone else using this, make sure you download the latest version of blender from buildbot. Yesterday Campbell fixed a really important issue that impacts selections. All this was even more pronounced with this keymap and especially if you use a tablet.
Grab the latest blender build here:

I don’t animate much, so if there’s anyone using this and animating, I’m open for feedback, let’s try to make this consistent throughout.

This is a wonderful setup.
The combination of the keymap, the plugins and the pie menus is a big step ahead from the default blender config. It makes the interaction more fluid and a lot more productive. Plus the new keymap (the alt use, mainly) is, in my opinion, more tablet friendly than the default keymap.

BTW, with the last update i cannot constraint the axis to the plane formed by the other two axis of the manipulator (pressing shift before doing click in the axis). Maybe, this issue is related to the changes made to make possible to lock the manipulator when Alt is held.

jpalacios . Thanks, glad it’s working out for you

Makes sense, this is due to the tweak I had done this morning regarding #44. I’ll fix it when I get back home. I’ll post here when it’s updated.

Edit:
Fixed.
You can use ALT navigation on top of the manipulator without grabbing it, and SHIFT constraints transforms to other 2 opposing axis.

Fantastic. Much better now with the Alt navigation fixed. I’ve been using it for a while now and it was the only thing that was making me consider switching back.

I’m doing some rigging at the moment and there are some issues there. Mainly with it being difficult to scale without using the manipulator (sometimes I used it for mirroring across the 3D cursor).

Thanks! Now grabing Shift works! :slight_smile:
But now, it seems to be a problem with normal interaction in the manipulator (using left click only on it). I cannot interact with it anymore in this way. :_(

Updated. This time it’s fixed :slight_smile:

Thank you!

I have a suggestion to improve a little the consistency of the manipulator and the orientation pie menus shortcuts.
Right now, “Q” is the shortcut for manipulator menu, “Alt Q” invoke the pivot point menu and “Alt Space” is the one for the orientation menu. Could be possible to swap the shortcuts of pivot point and orientation pie menus? In this way the two related manipulator pie menus remain in “Q” and “Alt Q” and the pivot point menu will be Alt Space.
What do you think?

That makes sense, it’s more logical.
I think the reason I left it like that is because that’s how it is in blender by default, and the goal was to try to keep it similar to defaults as much as possible. No way to test that without disabling WazoPies … and that’s too much at the moment.

Anyway, I’ve changed it as you suggested, doesn’t seem to bother me from what I tried. It’ll probably make more sense for those who try this for the first time. I hope it won’t screw with the muscle memory for the rest :slight_smile:

Updated link from the 1st post.

Hi 0rangE, orbit doesn’t seem to be behaving like it used to with the 2.75 version. Did it change? When I focus on an object I can’t tumble around it the same as I could before.

Edit: Hmmm, I might just be used to Maya. Never mind, it seems nothing has changed with your config.

Small issue I’m having is that using the control key to snap to midpoint while using the knife tool doesn’t seem to be working. Snap preview looks right, but when I left click to make the cut nothing happens.

Good day…I’ve been highly resistant to trying a new keymap…after so many years of using Blender…when I use other 3D apps that I’ve learned their keys just are part of Them…no biggie…However I spent a rainy Sat. checking out your assembly of goodies and it’s got many +‘s…some cool addons that I hadn’t seen…not really looking forward to relearning …it’s just second nature now…did a lot of canceling the Rclick menu …guess I’ll see how receptive my brain is today…thanks for your time.
2cents…the W E R is cumbersome to cancel (unless I’m missing something)…Q > slide >click.or even Q > 8 is one too many…how about…Press and Hold for quick transforms and a Press > Press toggle the rest of the time…like that stinkin’ Modo (just kidding)…and the Rclick menu…maybe the list sections could start as simple button and then expand centered there…would take up less space…so you could make the menus smaller but still see things…I would like 60px overall…with the movement at 12px it is quick…
@adamnerva…turn off auto depth in Prefs

Hi Raden,
I 'm playing again with your setup and I really start to like it. I have 1 issue with proportional editing: I work always with a tablet and use page-up and page-down to increase and decrease the influence sphere, but these shortcuts seems to be broken ?

I have at some point integrated CTRL as a modifier into ‘Translate’ (that’s what I call Silo-Tweak, my hotkey CTRL+LMB). So now when you use CTRL+LMB to tweak, if you release and press again CTRL - you toggle snapping.
This also works with my other ‘Tweak’ CTRL+MMB. This one does not drop selection, also has the CTRL (release, then press again) as snapping toggle, but this one has much easier way to activate axis constraint with another MMB (while in the translate mode), or planar constraint with Shift+MMB.
(Just making sure you know of these extra features I have integrated, I use them a lot)

Anyway, I might have broken the knife tool when I was doing this. I’ll look into it today.
Thanks on the feedback.

Oh, BTW, I read that post on TheFoundry Modo Forum :slight_smile:
Thanks for putting in a good word for this. I honestly think this setup could change the way people coming from other applications look on Blender.

Frank the Smith . Thanks on the feedback. Unfortunately I can’t really change much regarding how PieMenus work other than what’s available through the interface. But overall I’m super happy with how Psy-Fi had developed and integrated them into Blender. I find them super quick to use, and it’s easier for me to remember one hotkey+8 gestures than 8 hotkeys. Especially once you start multiplying that.
Bottom line, I find Wazou Pie Menus extremely well implemented and don’t have a problem reaching for that ‘Q’ menu and doing a gesture to toggle the Manipulator.
Feel free to dig in and change this setup to better suite you needs. I’m hoping people can use this as a starting point to see what can be done, and the just cannibalize this to suite it to their needs.
I’m open to suggestions though :slight_smile:
As long as it’s a quick fix that won’t mess up my other stuff, or if I like it and want to use it myself.

Ranquin . Hey, that’s cool to hear you’re testing this again.
I also use the Tablet exclusively. I have the Proportional Editing influence mapped to the Scroll Wheel. I use an Intuos 3 6x11, and it’s got a strip that is mapped as a Scroll Wheel. This one is super old, and all Wacom Tablets since then had it. Try that.
But it is super easy to get the PageUp/Down back in, and if it was part of the default hotkey setup I want to get it back in not to confuse others that want to try my setup. I’ll have an update with that some time later today/tomorrow, I’ll drop a line in this post when it’s ready.

Thanks man :slight_smile: , I upgraded a few moths ago to an Intuos pro med. I should be able to map this feature :wink:
Still one issue I have: how do you position/align a group vertices to an axis ? I basically want to set all of their x positions to 0.
It used to be s x 0 as a standard keycombination.

Edit: nevermind bro, alt+s x 0 works as advertised :wink:

Your selecting and tweaking remappings are just fantastic.

Cheers
-R

Ranquin . I see you already found scale is remapped to ALT+s.
You can also align stuff very efficiently using WazouPieMenus ALT+x
Glad you like the setup :slight_smile:
If you continue testing/using this, I’d love to hear any additional feedback in a month or so.

Oh, yeah, update this thing!

Updated Link in the first post.

Update:
Knife Tool should now work completely with ALT-Navigation. CTRL for MidpointSnap now works (thanks adamnerva).
Proportional Editing Influence - Added default PageUp/Down into the mix (thanks Ranquin)

Awesome! Thanks for those updates!

Hi Raden,
the page-up/down key (proportional editing) seems not to work on my side. I’m using v 2.74.
Loving your setup !

Oh, that’s why, I had updated only the 2.75 download. Just the 2.75 has the fixed KnifeTool and ProportionalEditing Pageup/Dn
Try downloading 2.75 and then just renaming the folder that you extract to 2.74.
Chances are it will still work. Just make sure to back up your current 2.74 folder :slight_smile:

Edit:
Updated 2015 07 02, navigation was broken on latest buildbot version

Edit:
Updated 2015 07 07, Mira Tools updated.

Awesome, works great.