Industry standard hotkeys and controls, how did they become the standard?

If you’re using Blender without hotkeys you’re shooting yourself in the foot. Blender without hotkeys is like a car without a gas pedal.

That’s an Unnecessary, irrelevant post. There’s no app in existence today that doesn’t have hotkeys. Almost all of them provide for easy customization, including adding shortcuts which otherwise were missing in the default. Bottom line is users will always look for hotkeys/shortcuts. That’s why this should never be brought up when talking about standards, UI, workflows, etc. They’re easy to add, if they’re missing.

Might want to read the post m+numbers was replying to. Bot only was his post relevant, it was in reply to a user that doesn’t look for keyboard shortcuts and would prefer the functionality in button form :wink:

Well it’s the difference between spending 30 min. trying to find what hotkey to use or click a button or menu. I do use the general hotkeys (g, s, x, etc.) in Blender as those I can remember, the others not so much. :confused:

Hotkeys are just an accelerator. I totally agree that anyone serious about cg should be using them, but I also agree that they should be an optional thing. You should be able to find all of the commands either in the UI or via the search menu.

once you get comfortable with them more, you will see what m####### (I can never remember the numbers) is talking about with the gas pedal analogy. You can take off and fly with hotkeys.

Exactly :slight_smile: Speed is not an issue with me, it’s remembering the keys that is the issue. 3D is just a hobby for me so I don’t care how long it takes to do something in Blender. But having to spend a lot of time chasing down hotkeys makes me very grumpy. Both hotkeys and other interface options are equally important.

I just use the search menu to get the tool I need at times, complete tool access and all you need to remember is the name.

Hopefully, once the Pie Menus become standard issue in Blender (with sticky keys), the number of hotkey combos to remember will go down a bit, I think even the BF now recognizes the need for less hotkeys (mainly because there’s almost no space left for any more combos).