If you can't make anything worthwhile -> Don't blame the BGE

@ Kamiyana - another reason would exporting features to jmonkey (you said) would reduce its quality

What? How?
Exporting does not take hours to do. I could import 300 models into my project in less than half an hour with jmonkey or even unity.

Jmonkey reduces model quality and again, choice.

Kamiyama: its a personal choice. You are right in that Unity is a more complete gaming package right now-but here are some of my reasons for liking Blender:

Blender is free, Unity Pro is not (Free is fine but assets like Playmaker still cost).

I like the portability of Blender (120mb compared to Gbs with Unity). Blender is also easier on my PC (its not old, but not top of the range anymore)

I like Python- I can use Python features beyond that of the BGE api, and its easy to learn for a beginner like me. I dislike Javascript and C++ (a bit to confusing at the minute for me) and no-one uses the Python like Boo (hardly any documentation for it).

I like the logic system / Hive system too. Simple and effective. Unity has paid for solutions like Playmaker which are great, but cost.

Although I love 3DSMax, having Blenders modelling tools right next door is nice.

Some features in Blender are not available in Unity Free (render to texture, which I use a lot). For a while shaders were a
Unity pro only feature (in the early 3x days)- again free in Blender. Hopefully Martinsh will sell some of his shaders on the Asset store as the shaders in Unity are not great.

But then, I’m a hobbyist and not trying to publish anything so I can overlook rough edges I suppose.

And with them considering making the game engine part of the main blender, all this features will/can be added

Unity free can publish to android.
Also jmonkey works I think with java- not javascript, I know those are wildly different.
How does jmonkey reduce model quality? what can it do? Your model is a bag of triangles with a couple of textures assigned when they go in.
@nathan: Blender cannot build a reputation on what it is going to do.

Hahaha! Importing time taking hours! LOL are you kidding? Inside unity it is almost instant, esspecialy if you use .fbx.
Nathan,your posts are not well thought.

Look guys, I thought the same about unity a while ago, I have tried it several times untill now. But after many fails(with blender…) and impossibility to do what we(team) wanted, we simply switched,that s all.‘You dont know the man untill you spend some time with him’

I have to agree, Unity has great import tools.

We are waiting, how many releases does bf make in a year.
We are waiting

I am not talking about unity and where did you see specify the time it takes.

I am not refering to android. Besides, android gaming is far from beating pc gaming

Actually you were. Our conversation was about jmonkey and unity. I apologize if I did not make that clear. But yeah, you can keep waiting- how many releases does Epic Games make of the UDK in a year? it is monthly. And it’s only getting better. So we can keep waiting - but this is not a race of catching up because other engines are getting better all the time as well.
That’s your opinion on PC. But there are other betterengines that support pc-mac-linux, web, android, ios, ps3/4, xbox360/1, wii/u, etc… So why limit yourself to blender?

Because i can expand it:eyebrowlift:

Why would you? Why reinvent the wheel if another engine that let’s say is open source already supports it?
You have to REALLY want to work in the bge to put up with it.
Besides have you ever built blender and compiled it?

Like i’ve said over and over again, because i want to.
And besides, i’m not a perfect blenderer

If i do find out that i can’t put up with blender (after really, really searching), then:spin:

Are you new to using blender to make games?

A little bit

Nathan2222> not trying to sound overbearing, but I think you have got yourself in a bit of a knot over this. Depending on your time zone and age, get some sleep / grab a cup of tea / grab a beer *delete as appropriate as this is a discussion that will just go on forever.

My advice: if you are new to making games, do some research and try as many engines as you can- find out each ones weaknesses and strengths and decide what suits you best now and learn. Once you have some knowledge build on it and then make informed decisions. Years down the line you may change your mind about what you like or need.

Just keep an open mind.

Right- back to my game!

@nathan:OK, so you’re not really experienced then. You’re not really at liberty to argue the viability of blender as a game engine. So a challenge: Make a working menu ui that works with a joystick.
But still you can do a lot with the bge- a lot that you have to do. As in you have a lot to do.