If Plan 9 met South Park - It's Project Tinfoil: From Outer Space!

I think the YouTube stats are starting to look pretty good. In the dashboard it says 147 views (I count 184 on the videos themselves, I mean, the pages where the public sees the videos. If that makes sense) and 260 minutes viewed. Retention on the episode itself, is below average to average, with an average view duration of 3:27. Without sound and voices that seems pretty awesome. Retention on the trailer is average to above average, with an average view duration of :47 seconds (out of 1:06, a few seconds of which is title). If that’s not good news, I don’t know what is (well, above average to high retention would be better still, but this is a budget animation style from a nobody after all).

If this keeps up Tinfoil might actually amount to something.

XeroShadow - Well, they either make babies or they don’t. It’s more funny if they do, but I’ve got a lot of wiggle room in how that happens (if it does happen.)

Beau - The drawings are real drawings done with pencil, ink, and paper. They’re colored in GIMP and exported as .png on a transparent background. Some of them are also 3D objects created from .svg paths exported from GIMP.

In most of the shots the characters are multiple objects with seperate limbs, heads, facial features - whatever is necessary.

As far as voice acting goes, it depends on what level of popularity Tinfoil achieves by the time I get the shot on the UFO with Ein and Von Neumann finished. If it’s popular enough, I’d like to crowdfund professional talent. People should get paid for their work, and it’d be nice to have all the legal stuff squared away the way it’s supposed to be. I don’t want to go longer than that without voices though, and will try the amateur route (again) if it comes to it.

It’d be great to post to multiple sites, but I’m facing a serious bandwidth limitation. It took 12 hours to upload the sketch-to-shot video. I’ll be lucky to keep YouTube updated 2-3 times a week. I did put most of the animation up on Vimeo before starting the YouTube channel. No one watched it (except for a few people I sent there myself). Maybe I could tag it better, I dunno.

Facebook - if only it weren’t so - evil. I might do Twitter but I also need to make animation sometime. It also opens up the possibility of offending groups I never imagined existed.

Thanks for the advice!

That’s good when people are seeing it for that long. The average attention span for viewing video is just 2 minutes. When the other elements are placed together, it just may take off.

i loved the trailer, but only saw 10 seconds of the 12 min video. It’s a great idea, but you need audio. Since you brought up south park, look for their pilot of sorts, frosty vs jesus. it is primitive as hell, but has audio…

if you have to, use your own voice, even if the character voices are totally exaggerated and silly. that works for basically every animated series ever made.

XeroShadow - I got another thumbs up on the trailer overnight. I had a thumbs down for a while but it went away. I’ll try to get another drawing video up in a day or two (but those don’t get many views).

Smoother - Believe me, I see your point. The average viewing time on the episode is three minutes, and I’m sure it would be longer with audio. But I’ve already tried to work with amateur talent. The person I was talking to would go a couple months at a time without communicating with me. I understand that they have to take the jobs that pay the bills, but I also understand I’m not getting what I need that way. I emailed a couple other girls after that, even offered to pay, but no dice.

The only voices I can do are the zombies. Maybe I could rap the opening theme or sing Crack-n-Farter’s role, but you should think many many times before asking for that :eek: I feel one million thumbs down coming . . .

I’d like to try crowdfunding pro talent, when I get the scene with Einstein and Von Neumann on the UFO done. If that doesn’t work out I’ll look into amateur talent again.

Couple more making of videos.

I posted the trailer over on Newgrounds and got a much better response than on YouTube. Tinfoil does fairly well when people see it. Getting it in front of people is the hard part.

More finished shots on the UFO

Glad that you are expanding to other parts of the net.

Tell me some other parts to expand to :yes: I need a few more sites that will work as well as Newgrounds. Deviant Art sure isn’t doing anything.

Your work is coming along! Looks great.

Have you posted on Behance.net yet?

I would suggest Vimeo and Dailymotion but only if you have an account with those sites

beau - Motion Graphis Served or Behance.net? Behance.net looks like it is a portfolio site?

I may start looking into voices and sound in the coming weeks or months. Are you involved with that?

XeroShadow - The trailer has been on Vimeo for a couple months. It isn’t getting any traffic there - only people I’ve sent there myself. YouTube is about the same. Only 3.7% of the traffic originates with YouTube. The rest of it is coming from this thread.

Between this thread and Newgrounds I’ll probably be over a 1000 views in a couple days. Of course that doesn’t mean everyone loves it, but it’s also not nothing.

Motionserverd is aggregated from Behance, which is a portfolio site. BUT, the bonus there is at least getting your work in front of eyes… and maybe they’ll share it with other people. Also - you’re showing your work in progress - behance loves that stuff. I don’t know how many would like it on youtube… those are mostly end-product users, (I am sooooooo over-generalizing there.)

What about Funny or Die?

And yeah - I did the voice over on my own clip (posted on here) over the weekend. I’ve got a recording studio - usually use it for recording all of my hits. Which is to say, it’s rarely used.

LOL Just outstanding and I’m looking forward to more.

beau - I’ll look at Funny or Die. I’m not going to use Behance because it insists on publicly displaying a location. While I don’t think I’ve peeved off radical Islam yet, you never know, so why make it any easier?

theoldghost - Thanks mate, there’s more on the YouTube channel and more coming to the YouTube channel.

Now on Funny or Die -

http://www.funnyordie.com/account/projecttinfoil/media/440812

Can it reach 80% funny and 100k votes to achieve Immortal status? Well, probably not, but what the hell there’s a link for you.

Another animation clip.

Who can guess the identity of the hand? It’s pretty much who it would have to be.