Idea: Blender Add on manager - "UPDATES" panel and Blender cloud accounts

This is a really nice suggestion, and there is one addon that already has implemented something simliar: LuxBlend!

I just got the confirmation that something along those lines is in the making for the Blender Cloud :cool:
More details should be unveiled soon, probably next week.

That’s good news! :slight_smile:

Either I am too stupid to find it (which I definitely don’t rule out), or there hasn’t been such an announcement. In the meantime, I found something that could actually work and is allready out there: 0install (www.0install.net). It should be adaptable to our purposes with only little tweaks, is open source (I am not sure if it is directly compatible with GPL, but I think it could have been L-GPL). It could make stuff even easier if software is hosted in a distributed way. What do people think about it?

I just got the confirmation that something along those lines is in the making for the Blender Cloud
More details should be unveiled soon, probably next week.

Oh that’s good news!

0install is interesting, but as i interpreted is more like a client side feature, not integrated to the system, that we want.

We are way past next week now and no news from bf… :slight_smile:
Today i saw that a gsoc student has expressed interest in picking this up. We will see what BF answers.

I hope they dont limit the feature to blender cloud and have it available only to a walled garden

Good the idea of the addon update if manual through an update button.
I don’t like the idea of sync blender with the cloud or any other news/ads/cloud/whatever service IF you don’t have an option to disable it.
It’s something I always hate in software.

Google blender addon registry (it’s on GitHub)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not an official addon by BF, but it’s a good start! :slight_smile:

Any news on this ever being included to trunk?

here’s a working prototype for github addons by matpi:

There’s another way of individual addons install/updates also by 1D_inc & nikitron, also saidenka’s scramble addon & chromoly’s ctools.
personally I’m not sure which is best method for external addons, I guess it can depend on the addons author & how many addons they have. As for Blender Cloud, I’m sure Sybren will figure it out. Time will tell.

Yes. Now. I demand this.