I need social...

@atr1337 I suppose that makes sense. I’ve always been more than able to force my way through my anxiety and suppress the anxiety attacks, like my grandfather did since there was little to no medication at the time, without much resistance. But when it comes to social anxiety I never win. I very rarely speak about it with others, so it’s difficult to put to words, so I’ll say it this way: one year around Christmas time, my dad asked me to go to the shed around ten at night, and gave me a flashlight to see. I remember plunging out into the darkness alone, as the shed was at least thirty yards away, but I did it, even as a littlun.
So what I’m trying to say is that fear can be broken, and bravery without fear is just ignorance. But the one thing I have found worse than treading where I can’t rely on my eyes, or facing legitimate dangers, is speaking to other human beings.
The way you rationalize social anxiety makes sense, and I’ve made little effort to understand why it’s so much like being physically beaten by every word as I speak to people. I thought for a time that perhaps it wasn’t fear that immobilized my own language, but instead disdain, as I must confess I am horrifically pretentious… but I discarded that thought on the knowledge that I can barely speak to my own intellectual equals or superiors. This is partly why I’ve returned to BA for the first time since 2013… because I know that many people here are like minded and, obviously, share very similar interests. Perhaps that is also why @cgwiredvision asks for assistance here as well.
Anyhow, forgive me for not being at my most ready when speaking of social anxiety, for, as you’ve certainly assumed, I do not frequently share with my peers. But nonetheless, an interesting discussion. I’m certain we’ll be speaking again.

I don’t think people fear public speaking more than death (in a way that they would rather die than speak in front of people). Public speaking is just something most people can relate to, whereas death is not something most people have come close to.

I just read about pineapple sage, its natural blood pressure lowering hypertension treatment, and a anti anxiety and antidepressant , and is all natural and,can grow in a green house…

I want to check it out myself.

@Morio: There was an episode of Seinfeld where Jerry, during the stand-up part, cracked a few jokes about people being more afraid of public speaking than death saying “I guess that means if you’re at a funeral you’d rather be in the casket than give the eulogy.” :slight_smile:

@BluePrintRandom It’s worth a try. I can’t personally say I’ve found anything that works better to quell anxiety than through sheer willpower, but that doesn’t mean it won’t work.