how important is maths for a career in cg?

Anyone asked what level of “maths”(“math” if you are American)? Are we talking quantum physics, or 25 divided by 5?

+1 to that!!

Americans say, “math.” Brits say, “Maths,” with an ‘s.’ :slight_smile:

Considering that there’s algebra, trig, calculus, functions and relations, logic, and statistical, they may just have a point, too.

It’s well known that both “math” and “maths” are acceptable. Americans say "math, English say “maths”…no biggy. We say “color”, they say “colour”, same thing. The question here is whether or not he needs to know advanced math…and the answer is a resounding NO.

These “maths” that are necessary to understand how to setup a cycles shader are OK a guess.
:smiley:
hey, Vicky, it’s a joke, right?

no need of maths - don’t waste time.develop visual taste and analyse what captures peoples emotions.maybe sketching to understand form,light etc…
edit:you can get more relevant info on what background is needed from your local animation teaching institute.

@michalis: What is a joke depends on someone’s school system! :slight_smile: Me personally, I went to an average American school, where I learned how to add, divide, multiply, a circle is 360 degrees, etc. at a very early age. If that isn’t taught these days, that is a joke indeed! :smiley:

And it would hurt him to take it anyway? :slight_smile: I mean, we have no way to predict what this guy’s future will be and if he finds later in life that he does need it, it’s going to be a lot harder to learn. I’ve been there. I dropped out of high school, then in my 30s wanted to get a degree in computer science. Didn’t work; although math(s) was/were easy for me in high school, I just couldn’t cram it into my brain by that point.

So, the bottom line is, if you think you’ll have any need of math(s), learn it as young as possible. And even if he never uses it, it’s not like it’ll warp him into something unrecognizable as human. :slight_smile:

And please don’t take this as a personal affront. It’s really not intended that way. I just want this guy to know it’s best to take this opportunity while it’s presenting itself.

I didn’t say abandon math altogether(is that even an option these days?), he’ll be just fine learning the “usual” math that almost everyone learns. I’m assuming his school teaches algebra, trig, etc., at least mine did. Calculus was an elective for me, and I elected to not take it, but the rest he should learn in the “normal” high school route. Again, I’m making assumptions about his school, but I hope things haven’t changed much since I went(please don’t ask when that was!). I don’t see a need for ‘Good Will Hunting’ math in the world of CG. :slight_smile: No offense taken Ron! :smiley:

@VickyM72: Glad to hear it. I really didn’t want to start a war.

But since Mr. @pranavjitvirdi doesn’t seem to be forthcoming with any more info, and he was kind of vague to begin with, I have no idea if the class he’s considering is actually advanced or not. He said acc. (which I’m assuming means: accelerated) to the level of American education. For all I know, in his country, that could mean algebra instead of arithmetic, or trig instead of algebra. He doesn’t indicate which country he’s from, even. :slight_smile:

Lol, by “acc”
i mean according to the amarican education system, the syllabus for the next two years is the same syllabus they teach in high school in america. I thought people were somewhat familiar with the american system so i didn’t indicate my own countrys system.

i got more than enough advices to make my decision so i stopped asking any further questions.

Sorry if that caused any confusion. And thanks for all the advices :slight_smile:

LOL. Good to hear from you again, pranavjitvirdi. :slight_smile:

I’m actually not familiar with the American system; I’m Canadian. Even here in Canada, when I went to school, things were different from province to province. Now that the education system is modernized, I have no idea what they teach, or when.

Glad you got what you needed.

As everyone on this forum surely knows, maths is used a lot in 3d applications.

In cycles you have the math node, which has a vast amount of capabilities when it comes to creating shaders. And i’m sure that understanding exactly what is happening when you are using different maths settings to mix together shaders/textures etc is going to be very usefull. I’m sure there would be less ‘trial and error’ involved in the shader creation process at least.
I would also say that a good understanding of mathematics is a very usefull tool to carry in your belt, not just for CG but life in general.

I found myself baffled by the math nodes when i first encountered them because my maths skills are not great. but after a bit of research and learning, things began to click into place.

And Even if you decide not to study maths at a further level, there are brilliant resources online to help you with any subject of mathematics you may be curious/need to learn more about. That’s how i do it, i learn as and when i need the information.

You guys telling him to go for it might be missing this bit: “i was planning to do two projects these next two years but if i take math i would have to cut down my free time i have for blender.”

If you read that and still think ‘oh, this person hoping to enter the VFX industry as an artist should really take that math-class’, I think you’re giving him poor advice. With advanced maths he’ll certainly have a better shot of going into the technical side of arts, but I’m advising him as if he wants to do art, not scripting/programming.
In which case, working on your art is much more important than taking on extra maths above and beyond what you get in your regular classes.

Hahahahaha, sorry, it’s just funny some of the posts and the question which you asked.
I’m going to just call you Mr.Prana because that’s easy.

Let me explain the situation here.
Fact is that if you are at an Algebra level, you’re pretty much set for life, including CG. Beyond your Algebra, simple Algebra really, there is very little you will ever and I mean EVER would possibly benefit from the more advanced areas of math. Albeit it is still VERY important stuff because math is the backbone of a lot of things and fields. It’s just unlikely you’ll be needing it yourself for your tasks… ever. To clarify, you WILL use math a lot, but almost never EVER the more advanced stuff past simple Algebra.

For CG, you need to know
your numbers, times, etc.
addition
subtraction
multiplication
division
decimals
fractions
geometry
and how to read and interact with simple graphs.
That’s about it.

If you passed 8th grade, trust me, you’re set on the math. You do not need to know more. It can’t really hurt (It could if it sucks time up you could put to better use) but at the same time it’s likely not to help, at all. Unless you are personally going to be scripting addons or 3D programs then you wont need more advanced math for CG.

Should you ever need some more advanced math, it’s likely going to only be a small tidbit that you could easily learn when and for what you need it for. It makes a LOT more sense when you need it in the real world as opposed to the worthless junk they make you do on paper.

HA! it’s funny isn’t it? only if i or anyone else knew why

well it won’t be that bad… i mean i probably can do those projects later on when i am in college right? until then i can practice my skills or whatever. I’ll keep doing some short projects to avoid boredom.