Hornet Vespa Velutina

Amazing work. Thanks for the timelapse. I just miss a little bit of sss/translucency to the subject, but anyway, still great work. Thanks.

:yes: This is what I call realistic render…nice work…

I like both the insect and colors! Nice work!

Wow, great modeling and texturing work.
You must have used a particle system for the hair? Did you find that difficult to implement?
I haven’t tried working with the hair system that much.

If anyone would like access to high resolution 3d reference images of several insects, primarily Odanates, look here:
http://www.utinsects.org/vol.html

I’ve been building these for several years now. You are welcome to use the photography for textures.
We would love to get a copy of anything modeled and textured. My own modeling skills are not quite up to this level, at least not yet :slight_smile:

This is a perfect example about a lot Blender’s tools possibilities and strengths. Same as GodOfBigThings and other mates say, if you use DOF to create a Macro Photo style the final result would be awesome.

Brilliant job, agree on the comment on the wings though. Hard to tell from the angle.

I don’t like this insect but shapes and colors are so cool

A much maligned insect, is the wasp. It’s a shame as it’s an incredible useful member of the garden. It lives off lots of insects and grubs that gardeners don’t like. Of course it can have a nasty habit of building its nest in inconvenient places.

very beautiful picture

Great work a few thoughts on it:

It is very clean looking model, perhaps too clean, if you are going for photo real. I would try adding a little AO here and there and roughing up the textures a bit, if you see the reference it is a little more shiny too.
The wings are too solid looking but at the angle of the render it could be a attributed to a fresnel effect, if they where more glossy.

Overall a very pleasing model and one most of us would be very happy to have in our folio.