highpoly to lowpoly baking for cycles renders, tests and discussions

I can see the video now , nice , that’s only the glsl view ?

michalis you bake that with new cycles bake, but render in BI right? (shadeless) i get it.

similar things used in movies, for matte painting/ camera projection to save rendertime for backgrounds. makes sense.

sanctuary, thanks, so basically ao is used in the diffuse colour map, i seen this done in games, it makes sense.

thanks.

Thanks, not jsut BI, it is GLSL shadeless. Casted shadows and GI already baked. Combined/ cycles bake branch.
A silly test. The original is ~180k fast dyntopo sketch. This is why you see these triangles in the back.
One combined map only.
AO, normal maps etc for animated figures only. For environment and static sculpts… no. just combined. I think so.
What I really love about the new cycles baking.
No active maps in the UV editor, not this nonsense any more. Just name your texture/path, resolution and other properties and bake it.

i haven’t used cycles baking yet, I was going to wait for it to be in master. but it seems this approach can get me some fast renders, all within blender.

Download one, what are you waiting for?
For such turnarounds, it already works and already has a simple and effective UI. (much much better than the usual BI nonsense)
Tangent normal maps still need work (dalai is our hero!!). However, world and object normal maps are simply gorgeous.
Bake from multires and to active are supported. A new (for the blenderusers) custom cage is also supported.
Dalai goes for the real thing. A serious development.
Good bye BI… it’s about time.
A new fresh GLSL now… and that’s all.

A new attempt
combined texture again, GLSL, shaded, emission as 1. Mist (dark), a little glossy and bump.

i don’t understand, sorry, noob here.

you used a combined texture from cycles, but also added a glossy and bump on top of that?. (similar to what games do with diffuse map, but separate glossy map) ?

maybe a behind the scenes screenshot?

I will try and use the technique over the weekend. had power cuts today :(.

or maybe I can test it on my hand sculpt I did recently.

I read through some of the cycles bake thread. I’m interested what could be done with lightmaps for a presentation like this. Theres some technical stuff I don’t know about baking yet though, any links to a good resource?

@Ng
Sorry, I didn’t make myself clear.
Just one map. Combined. Shadow casting, GI, texture (boxmapping), cycles quality, are adopted on this map. Glossy could be there (if a glossy was in use when baking), but better not. It will look very wrong when camera turns around.
So, we have the combined baked map.
In BI environment (GLSL) :
A new shader for our mesh (our multires mesh if you like). Low poly for rendering / 3dviewport. Textured viewport / GLSL.
Assign the baked combined texture.
Texture influence like this

Under geometry, add a little bumpiness (NORM ~0.2). It will affect glossiness.
Add a light on the scene (just a little)
Add glossy, just a little.

Ready to go.
It is the easiest way for a nice presentation of your sculpting. (there are other ways, depends on what’s your aiming)
An empty inside the sculpt, parent to the camera, insert a key as rotation…, move the timeline, rotation Z 360, assign new key (rotation) for this, fix move in graph editor… blah blah…
Piece of cake. (when we have friends on line)
(trusted friends, always) :slight_smile:

many thanks, will definitely try this :slight_smile:

yap!, this would be great, realtime viewport stuff. i’ve collecting stuff on the net about blender GLSL rendering, maybe time to dabble on this sorcery.

and cycles baking in trunk and that viewport specular on cycles please!

i believe “trunk” is now “master” right?

something about the change from svn to git. i’m no programmer, just asking…

lets call it master trunk. seems legit.

On master then.
Cycles baking needs a little more work.
However, Doris started this thread.
On how to present low poly versions of our sculpting.
Easy, fast rendered turnarounds, cycles quality,

You know what I think?
A project.
An exhibition
A walk around rooms, full of our sculpts. A real time animation.
A team project…
he he
The more I think of it, the easier it looks.

i’m already working on short film to showcase my sculpts :slight_smile:

but its just mine. selfish. lmao.

Yeah selfish
Well, it could go like this:
To start a new thread, our sculpting shows.
What I had in mind, to build a simple place, nice lights etc. For the show.
Everything baked of course.

That’s an interesting idea Michalis, some kind of virtual museum

lol no, I had this idea for a while, even contacted renderstreet to help me render it. it wasn’t going to be glsl type thing at all.

good luck if you do the project with others. :slight_smile:

LOL
Why ng?
Mine will be near the WC doors. Promise.

sorry, confused michalis, why what?

I think its a great idea. go for it. I just have my own plans is all i’m saying. :slight_smile:

Why do we have to flip the normals from BI to Cycles? Don’t tell me some pedant has set it back to the way it was done originally that was backwards to every other software on the planet :frowning: