Has Blender really made zero progress to attract professionals since 2.4x?

Yeah, alright. It’s shit. Having used both Modo and Zbrush, I’d disagree, but how could I argue with such thoughtful insight?

+1 Same here

Yeah, alright. It’s shit. Having used both Modo and Zbrush, I’d disagree, but how could I argue with such thoughtful insight?

Blender is not a shit. I’m among the few who said that recent blender tends to be competitive to zbrush from a sculptors perspective. If this sounds like fanboyism to some, it isn’t the right thread to explain further.
However, I wonder. Zalamander. How often do you use zbrush?
The main reason of blender problematic performance (multires) is not based on your more or less* helpful suggested settings. The structure of the base mesh is the most important, you probably aware of this. It is ridiculous, so, better avoid to compare blender with zbrush.
(* I use a good powerful ATI)

Being relatively new to these forums myself, I can tell you that currently the biggest mar to blender is the attitude of some people in general discussion. Instead of a well tempered and helpful community of artists, I’d say about half, come off as being bias and just nasty. Andrew Price is how I got into Blender in the first place. The first time I downloaded blender I thought it was like photoshop, and I didn’t understand why I could not just left click on the cube and draw a line :eek:

Since then, I have developed tremendously and since then I have to this date not found fault in Price’s techniques or assertions about blender, both good and bad. I do however see him get talked down to all to often by Blender’s own user base, and from people who do not have galleries anywhere near the quality of work that Andrew himself has created, let alone his tutorial archives which are all available for free.

This leads me to believe that the people talking down to him (and about him) probably don’t know enough about blender to understand Price’s podcasts and woes with blender in the first place.

Good for you that Andrew introduced you to Blender. Good luck on your journey…

About your comment about nasty people who lack the knowledge and don’t understand Andrew’s podcasts… I will give you your answer when I finish my porfolio works…

I liken the attitude of a fanboy to a customer in a restaurant where he says, “Why don’t you like the food?” to another customer, then tells the owner, “You’re doing fine, let him go. Screw him.” The owner ends up just maintaining his base and not gaining new customers. Which is bad business and certainly not the intent of the owner.

And until then we have the three line drawing pictures (one colored) that you have uploaded to your Deviant art profile to go by (the one listed in your signature) :wink:

Go make some awesome art.

Thank You Mad Minstrel.

It is the art that you make that makes you a professional, not the tool that you use.

I think this community really needs to relax.

Ice cream, anyone?

I’m a vanilla fan

I don’t have anything against Price, but I do worry about his assertions at times. The suggested namechange of Normals to ‘bump’ is one of those. It implies that even Price himself doesn’t quite know what the normals are and what they are used for, and I can imagine that this can make you lose respect a lot.

He did this before, with his big statement that the developers said that Blender Internal is going to be removed within a year(never said by any dev, in fact, Ton stated that even if there were a glimpse of consideration for it the BF, they will shout it from the rooftop, like the considered BGE-viewport intergration).

It’s a little frustrating to see someone who rightfully has the respect of so many Blender users state such inheritely faulty things. That is to say, because you initially trusted him, finding him saying these things can affect the ‘trust-o-meter’, and make one much much more skeptical of all his statements.

As for the topic title, I think Blender does attract industry proffesionals plenty. If you make money with something, doubtlessly you’d want to find ways to improve your workflow, and Blender, updating so much, and being free, is easy to check out for this. The question is whether the proffesionals consider Blender useful enough to become a part of their workflow.

Also, agreeing with Psy-fi. Less anger please, viewport performance, on which there is constant work(whether it be Wilkins gsoc or implementation of more efficient algorithms such as subdiv and dynatopo), is not something to lose so much energy over.
(Unless of course, you’re trying to lose weight by argueing over the internet, in which case I actually recommend taking up something different.)

Well said, Therahedwig.

I would also like to add that I still find it weird and disturbing that some people think there is this magic elite group of industry professionals out there with superpowers, and if those were only be working with Blender, it would be sooo cool.
I have no doubt that you wont find really that many people working with Blender in the Hollywood VFX industry. (Even if I know that there are in fact a few who do.) But yeah, chances are you won’t find that much Blender “in the industry”. For various reasons.
But who cares?
Following the recent events of shutdowns of Oscar winning studios “the industry” doesn’t sound like a nice place to be.

But there are PLENTY of freelancers, small studios, single artists who make a living with Blender. How is that not professional?
There are even companies that have nothing to do with VFX or art whatsoever who use Blender to create their company showreels, visualizations and what not. I know, because I train them! Believe it or not, there is a market for Blender based company training here in Germany. Might not be a big market, but it is definitely there.

Also, just to give an example, I have several colleagues here in Leipzig who make a living with Blender. We might not produce high end blockbuster quality, but we can live from it.
And there’s plenty of other examples for business models like that all around the globe!
Have you never looked at all the talent that you’ll find at the http://www.blendernetwork.org?

So are all these people making a living with Blender not professionals? Because it doesn’t come from Hollywood? Or what?
I don’t get it.

Well said sebastian_k.

To add a bit to what you said…

On his twitter, he corrected that mistake. That said, believe it or not, Maya also uses an aptly named “Bump Mapping” input area for normal maps… then inside the settings for that input area you have to select tangent space normals. Even then its not called normal mapping. While I dont agree with the Maya choice of words, even if Andrew Price didnt admit that what he said was in error, it would have been considered industry standard terminology as far as Maya is concerned.

To touch on the rest of what you said, I agree completely. The issue here is many users get emotionally involved with the discussion and topic in general. Emotion clouds reason and its hard to have a rational discussion when emotion or the emotional response wins out over reason and objectivity.

For you and I, Blender is free. For others their artwork and animations net them enough income to make 3DS Max, Modo, Maya and whatever “free” as their work pays for the programs rather quickly.

So now, try and envision a world where all software was free and money was not an issue. All of them were open source and free just like blender is. Now, which one do you want to animate in? If you would not choose Maya, then you do not know enough about Maya.

So after you rigged and animated in a free and fully functional version of Maya, are you to then send your files over to Blender to render? A program that does not support alembic at this time (as far as I know). That is not a logical work flow, especially since Cycles does not support the full range of render passes for compositing. You will probably want to render your Maya animations in a render engine that has all render passes and is fully integrated with Maya, or, work with an engine that easily reads Alembic. Maya to Modo for example is an easy work flow because of this. This is in part the kinds of decisions that professional studios, big or small, have to make early on.

So I have do disagree with you sebastian_k, professional has nothing to do with whether something comes from Hollywood or not. It is the difference between people who can generate modern day movie quality work and photo realistic work, fast and efficient with a polished work flow vs a skillful hobbies who can create animations that are on par with mid 1990’s shows like Farscape, Babylon 5 and Lexx. The people who will pay that really good money are not satisfied with that anymore.

Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

I don’t think that you can have an intelligent discussion with someone who is suggesting that animating in Blender is some how preferable to animating in Maya if both programs were free and you had proficient skills in both.

I am done here. Goodbye.

I do all my works with Blender. If professionalism is to make money for a living, then my answer is not zero progress to attract professionals.

Edit: you can use any software professionally, basically it means you just have to use it (Blender + Yafaray + Paint.net).

You know, you shouldn’t just do these assumptions. I have no interest to work in Maya. I once was forced to work with it in a studio, and it was crashing like no other tool I ever used, I didn’t like the Interface nor the workflows. I see no reason to work with Maya, when Blender gets the job done just fine.
If that’s too much for you to understand, then yes, goodbye.

I worked in Maya for four years professionally and experienced very few crashes, so I think experience with that kind of thing varies. Actually, I experienced more crashes in 3D Max than any other app I’ve ever used. Having said that, after moving to Blender in 09, I have probably experienced as many crashes as I ever did with Maya.

Given the option to use Maya for free now or Blender, I’d stick with Blender, as I feel comfortable enough and fast in the program. I’d say Blender has attracted “professional” users, whatever the h*ll that means.