GSOC 2014 QuadRemesh. How do you think it should be the user interaction?

Yes you are being negative . No you are wrong, having a remesher is not just useful it is also a brilliant option of many cg purposes. Either none of you guys properly used remeshers in other apps to full extend, or you have way too high expectations. Remeshers are fast, practical and provide a lot of options. They save time, and you can use that saved time for other things.

Even having a remesher that is slightly better than the current remesh modifier is a great step towards better modeling/sculpting in Blender. I hope that this project goes forward and it is implemented in a way that requires minimal user interaction(due to speed issues in other areas of Blender)

This is your point of view kkar,but … a slightly better remesher give us not so much.
My espectations are in line with the current technology,sometimes it seems that people here want things only for the taste of saying “hey,we have this!”,without thinking how it will work.
When Brecht implemented years ago lscm unwrapping,it was really great technology…

I am sorry to say that your assessment is wrong and you are not able to see the true use cases. Let me phrase my experience here first so you see where I am coming from. I have 18 years of professional 3d modeling/sculpting experience. I modeled/sculpted thousands of all kinds of objects (characters, spaceships, creatures, you name it, for all kinds of projects. I worked on sculpts that were over 50 mil polygons ). And I found that remeshing is immense help. Obviously remeshers in common apps started picking up after 2008, until then I had to do many of those things manually. The remeshers (be it retopo or just plain remesher like in Meshlab 3d) naturally wont replace human intelligence/experience, however they “help” and they save my time.

We should diffrentiate remeshers from automatic topology tools. An auto topo tool conforms remesher features however a remesher might not be a proper topo tool. A remesher in this context is a tool that provides a streamlined version of the the mesh that is applied to. So this is more of a direct help for sculpting and might provide a cleaner/workable version of a badly distorted sculpt mesh . However an auto topo tool will go even more and will create a mesh that is even useful for animation (in most cases) or rendering purposes. In any case a remesher with a basic feature like creating a clean quad mesh is very useful when working on a sculpt directly, that eliminates frequent mesh cleanups during sculpting(if one can easily/consistently transfers details also like in Zbrush or Mudbox)

The only time it is useless when it is implemented in half ass way and when it is implemented as a research tool (ie the current remesh modifier in Blender) or whey they are not implemented in a streamlined way . Even so the remesh modifier is good help in certain situations however it is very limited in use. I prefer to keep it if I have a chance.

Again,people here think always that others are noob… I have ten years experience as modeller,rigger,and also animation.
I really know how to make a mesh,how it should be deformerd,I was the first here to speak about remeshing(in 2005 if I remember well).
I used practically anything for remeshing,also application like graphite made by researchers (inria).
So,your experience really will not change my point of view,sorry.

Anyway,let’s move forward,it’s really don’t help debating who is better.
I think everybody agree here that the user interaction should be minimal.
Required mainly for improving the results,or,if impossible,it should be easy to do on medium/large meshes.

Well sure, not trying to change your opinion. And I do not think that others are noob either, however I have to state to my experience to back up what I am talking about. I have a lot of experience in all areas of cg (model, sculpt, rig, render, programming etc) and this is not my fault. I happened to work in crap loads of projects. How else would you know what my experience is ? I think that you are taking it the wrong way.

The issue is to get a usable remeshers/topo tools in Blender and it has nothing to do with persons.

That is your take. I do not need a who is better game. I have my own proven experience and skill set you have your own. If you want to state your skills/ experience , show your work etc that is plain cool with me(in fact I prefer it), helps me evaluate your words better. I personally look what what people do rather than what they say.

How about using bones as reference to indicate the mesh flow? One does not need to create full rig however couple bones,depending on the model might be enough to indicate flows, considering that we already have heat mapping with bones. My initial recommendation was to use reference curves. The grease pencil is fine but it might not be in the scene at all times. A modifier is dynamic so it is preferable that we take advantage of the dynamic nature of modifiers when the performance permits.

Hey apinzonf
For your last modifier(laplacian deform) i work like this
mask in sculpt mode -> hide by mask -> edit mode ->unselect all -> unhide -> add vertex group
so, I am wondering if it will be possible to make it simpler this time, like
mask in sculpt mode -> vertex group from mask
that would help alot since i expect to work with denser meshes in QuadRemesh

@ apinzof, your branch does not compile under ubuntu14.04 64 bits.

http://www.pasteall.org/52277

I’m wondering if this will be the equivalent of Zbrush’s zremesher.

Been looking forward to Doris Fiebig’s next sculpting tutorial and it has arrived. She’s a huge Zbrush user and is now using Dyntopo for sculpting, but she has to go back to Zbrush for retopo work.

I’m relatively new to sculpting and Dyntopo got me hooked. And my sculpted samples remain unretopoed. It looks like I’ll be forced to buy Zbrush.

Almost definitely not. The method being coded for GSoC doesn’t do much in the way of advanced remeshing. Rather, it calculates “flow” fields based on user defined extremities, creates a cross section to generate a grid, and then deals with any ngons left over by the process by doing a triangulation post process. It’s pretty “naive” as far as remeshing algorithms go, and the student himself said in the other thread on the topic that he has neither the time nor knowledge of the underlying operations to create a more robust method such as the one in ZBrush over the course of his GSoC.

what is the status of this project any video