GSOC 2013 MOARZ texpaint stuffs

xrg, thanks a lot for the feedback, this is a perfect example of what I need :). Also great image. All your concerns are on my todo list. Also, thanks to others for the palette suggestions. I have a few things in mind, we’ll see how they will work out. Another woot woot commit that will interest painters who use tablets for sure is this:

http://projects.blender.org/scm/viewvc.php?view=rev&root=bf-blender&revision=57622

The feature still needs attention because the system masking can be erratic at times. I’ll be working on that next

Wow! krita in blender. I will test that.

Right now each brush preset has it’s own colors. So if I’m using one brush, set my colors, then switch to a soft brush, I have to reset the colors. I think the colors should be a global setting that is just shared between the brush presets.

I think that it depends of the purpose the brush.
If you have created brushes with colored texture as pattern; maybe you don’t want it to heritate the color of another brush.
I think that it could be an unified settings option like strength ans size in Brush menu.

Even with the palette addon, the ui is not so easy to use because of the location in the shelf. Color palette should be right there under the color picking area, so you can see it and pick quickly.

I agree.
But a color palette can take a lot of space. I like the way the add-on allow to create as many rows and columns as you want.
Color palette settings could be in one panel and palette displayed in brush panel. I don’t know if UI could handle a tab in Brush panel.
But we should be able to hide a palette.

I understand about the location - unfortunately, we already can hide it sort of with the A key - my problem is that the panel is at the bottom of the tool shelf in paint modes and would probably be better suited if it could be closer to the brush controls. I found that some addons when enabled push it further down the shgelf, and I guess I need to go back and shut those off for now.

Psy-Fi, that is a beautiful thing now with the masking texture and pressure, I am going to have to download frequently I think. :smiley:

To fix that use island margin bigger than 0 when doing smart UV, or correct the margin later in UV editor using pack islands with bigger margin, and paint with a bleed setting set to a few pixels.

You can rearrange the items in the tool shelf by drag-and-dropping. LMB click and drag on the striped area by the item name.

@PLyczkowski, thanks for the tips.
Frankly, too many stuff to set when doing painting, it is very easy to miss 1 or 2.

I just added a patch by Fredrik Hansson that adds about 15 new blend modes. Test please! Also, last builds should have no problems with masking when texture mask pressure is used.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Awsome!

Hi Psy-Fi, I’ve upladed a video with a propoced continous trace behavior:

Strength: 0.75
Blend: Mix
Stroke Method: Space

I know Airbrush get a similar result, but it’s not the same. This bahevior is in MyPaint for example, if you want to test.
Basically its the same as Airbrush, but the ammount of ink is in relation with the brush movement (If the brush moves “adds ink”, if the brush stops don’t add more ink)

the last version I’ve tested is the current blender/trunk, so maybe its already implemented in your Branch.

P.S: Thanks for the pressure influence for mask patch :smiley: I was about to point that at too. I like when more than one have the same idea :slight_smile:

Heheeee! Did you check the “Accumulate” checkbox under the colour wheel on recent versions?

This all sounds great and looks good, but you had me at symmetrical painting :slight_smile: Why we didn’t have that before is beyond me. You creating it makes you my hero.

Genius!! :wink:

nbishop did some work on ptex in blender… 2 years ago and it was then abandoned.

it worked , but could not bake to uv and was extremely unstable. But it worked.
I hope one day someone gets it in trunk. Maybe in a few more years…

Part of the reason why it was abandoned is because finishing it would put users in a situation where they can create and edit a Ptex file, but can’t render it (as BI did not have any support for the format).

If one was to finish the implementation, then one would need to require full support for the format in BI, Cycles, or both, it’s somewhat pointless to have Ptex in Blender if you can’t use it in Blender for the final result.

OpenVDB is coming soon. Alembic has been discussed in the mailing list and deemed desirable, but no implementation has emerged (they’ll probably take a look at it after the depsgraph is upgraded). This is the sort of feature you need real studios to test out in production, single artists can’t help much. OpenSubdiv has an incompatible license and there’s nothing we can do about it on our end.

And ptex is just a shame. I hear it’s not a great fit for GPU rendering because of ridiculous memory overheads, but that was in the context of hardware rasterization and I don’t know if that applies to a CUDA/OpenCL implementation.

Anyway, back to MOARZ :wink:

There is an unwanted behavior when you paint over intersecting, non-connected faces, leaving jagged pixely lines. Would it be possible to fix this and not have those few black pixels at the intersection?

New blend modes work great. Sword test; blend file is here if anyone wants it. Only issue I really had was that the color picker doesn’t work when using masking, but afaik it’s always been that way.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=54023

Timelapse video for people that like to watch digital paint dry.

Nice clean video there, xrg. Nice illustration of some of the features Psy-Fi is putting the work into (kudos for him implementing them!)

Looking forward to playing with this when I get a chance this week. Damn shame layers aren’t on the agenda, cos they would really punch the painting toolset into the stratosphere (I understand the work required for them and all, so my regrets are not targeted at Psy-Fi!)

Painting in general, and Blender’s paint system in particular are mysteries to me. XRG, that was amazing! My guess is that since there is no layering system in Blender’s paint system then all of those changes were permanent?

Well, it’s not entirely true that there is no layer system at all in blender. By going to GLSL mode, the material texture stack can essentially act as a layer system, which you can later bake to a unique colour map.

That’s right, but the amount of setup necessary to add, merge or even switch layers while painting is quite daunting. If these three operations could be streamlined into single clicks, it’d be practical to use.