"Glass Half" - a new Blender Foundation open movie

Hey all,
For those of you who are subscribed to the Blender Cloud (and don’t mind spoilers), there is a bunch of preproduction stuff from the project online now.
This includes some early scripts and storyboard, concept art and the current animatic.

Back to work…

Thanks for posting this, Mr Director! :slight_smile: This looks like great fun. The mysterious annotation at the bottom of storyboard page 3_2 is especially intriguing…

Storyboard 1_2 is a duplicate of 2_2 tho.

Yeah, that’s just a note I made about a movie someone wanted me to watch. (still haven’t - can’t comment)

Hmm… I think that’s a cloud glitch. Maybe try again? I’m not getting that problem.

*** POST CONTAINS SPOILERS ***

Download is getting the wrong file. Viewing on cloud is fine.

I like the animatic a lot! Though I feel bad for the guy who just likes ducks. Nothing wrong with Hondecoeter.

Is any of this material locked or is it still in development?

*** POST CONTAINS SPOILERS ***

It’s all still in development. The scripts are early versions with multiplying complexity that I ended up abandoning. The storyboard is also early. The current version of the story is in the animatic, but that also still needs tweaking (particularly the end).

BTW, I should say that the characters in the animatic are well and truly placeholders.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the broken storyboard link. It’s fixed now.

Here’s a glimpse of an early shader test. This is a viewport render:

Looks really nice!

Ooh interesting. So is the idea to render the film using the viewport render, or is this just for previews?

Liking the style. Looking forward to seeing them animated :slight_smile:

Too early to say if it will work, but we’re aiming for viewport only.
Of course, if it doesn’t get the look we want, we’ll use other options.

Loving that look so far.

I love the characters. Especially he has the kind of pseudo intellectual look that fits perfectly :slight_smile: . (When I imagined how he moves, I gave him a stiff neck. No idea why I did that…)

Hoping to see the files on the cloud!!!

Looks exciting, freen. Following with interest.

Looks great, just don’t make it like tears of steel where the visuals take priority over story… seriously you don’t want that.

Of course! Cloud updates coming next week…

Looking good! :slight_smile:

Hi!

my first blender internal viewport nodes can be found in the blender cloud now!
https://cloud.blender.org/open-project/glass-half/assets

The idea is to build different materials by putting these together. That way everything is modular and you don’t have to muck around with the blender internal material editor (ugggh). I also put last week’s blendfiles for the motion graphics tests online. Check it out, tell us what you think and enjoy! :slight_smile:

https://cloud.blender.org/…/glass…/weeklies/2015-08-28/andy/

Really liking the mixed ones-and-twos thing Hjalti is doing in his animation test.

And the animatic is shaping up nicely! (Poor duck guy.)

Really REALLY liking the viewport NPR node shaders - the effects you’re getting are awesome. Would definitely recommend anyone interested in NPR shading checking these out.

And those motion graphics. The modifier stack you use to get the dots in the happy curves is simple but really clever.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, you’re welcome! Of course if you have any suggestions or improvements just poke! :slight_smile: