Gdevelop is now fully open source!!

Indeed, Aseprite is excellent for sprite animation. The best that I have seen anyway. I paid for the latest version as I want to support the developer. Whereas Pyxeledit is killer for making tilemaps and is in a class of its own.

http://pyxeledit.com/

Also the recent Autotilegen is very impressive for making semi-automatic tiles.

http://autotilegen.com/

Already bought a copy of pyxeledit- its awesome!

Wanted to also buy one for autitilegen as it looks extremely useful… however 20 euros is a little too much for me atm. :slight_smile:

Btw thank you for sharing these interesting links!

Aseprite is nice, but it is absolutely unusable on linux at the moment. There is a bug that makes it lag like crazy.

It would be great if somebody writes implementation for pyxeledit, autotilegen, spine and spriter for gamedevelop- as automatisms or game objects. It will put it ahead of some of the mainstream proprietary game studios.

Try going to Edit->Options, and changing Screen Scale to 1:1 (or you can edit .asepriterc). Fixes lag on Linux on my system.

Thank you! This did the trick! :slight_smile:

If only BGE’s logic bricks would be as useful as GD’s events…

well, i dont know if this applies but since GD is now open source, it is written in C++ (correct me if i’m wrong), some of blender is in C++…
Is it possible to be inspired by or borrow some of it’s code and design? This is probably a pretty stupid thing to say, since bge and gd are very different.

I have no idea since I am not a developer.
Florian seems to have programmed it in a very modular fashion looking at the git readme.

Here are some of ton’s plans for BGE:

Or more radically worded: I propose to make the GE to become a real part of Blender code – to make it not separated anymore. This would make it more supported, more stable and (I’m sure) much more fun to work on as well.
Instead of calling it the “GE” we would just put Blender in “Interaction mode”. Topics to think of:

• Integrate the concept of “Logic” in the animation system itself. Rule or behavior based animation is a great step forward for animation as well (like massive anims, or for extras).
  • Support of all Blender physics.
  • Optimizing speed for interactive playback will then also benefit regular 3d editing (and vice versa)
  • Singular Python API for logic scripting
  • Ensure good I/O integration with external game engines, similar to render engines.

What should then be dropped is the idea to make Blender have an embedded “true” game engine. We should acknowledge that we never managed to make something with the portability and quality of Unreal or Crysis… or even Unity3D. And Blender’s GPL license is not helping here much either.
On the positive side – I think that the main cool feature of our GE is that it was integrated with a 3D tool, to allow people to make 3D interaction for walkthroughs, for scientific sims, or game prototypes. If we bring back this (original) design focus for a GE, I think we still get something unique and cool, with seamless integration of realtime and ‘offline’ 3D.
Ton Roosendaal
June 2013

I call for a redesign of BGE’s outdated logic bricks GUI. This is not a request for new functionality. it is a request for a more competitive and clear interface that is on par with gamedevelop and construct2 - both more accessible to beginners and advanced users alike. It just takes much less steps to set up logic, it is much more clear what is set up, easier to organize and debug.

. This would get blender more entry level indie game developers who do rapid prototyping. If you go to their forums you will find a lot of people requesting 3d from the devs of both engines. You will find c2 has a huge active userbase that is growing really fast.

Seems like a huge undertaking and there are not many people working on bge right now. More focus is put on the exporters (rightly so)

Well, Game Develop’s events are compiled into c++ which in turn is compiled into native code, so I dunno how it would work for BGE. They’d need to be compiled into Python or something if ported over.

Also I don’t like Ton’s idea about BGE. Not a little bit. Instead of integrating BGE more he should concentrate on making “api” that could be used to integrate any GE AND change license of BGE to something like MIT/BSD or AT LEAST LGPL with linking exception so commercial games could be done with it as well.

Also hiring some people from places like Crytek, Epic and Unity wouldn’t hurt, esp. if those people would concentrate ONLY on advancing BGE based on their experience.

I’m surely hoping Ton will see this post, but probably it won’t happen.

New version of gamedevelop is out!!

:smiley:

Game Develop 3.4.72 is available:

Game Develop is now open source!
New automatism: Top down movement (4 or 8 directions).
New russian translation: Thanks to Airvikar!
Multiple images can be dragged from the image bank to an animation of a sprite object.
Updated SFML library: graphics improvements, errors and memory leaks fixes on old graphics card.
Updated Pixi.js library: rendering of HTML5 games is 400% faster, improved CocoonJS support.
Added support for Intel XDK, to export HTML5 games to Android or iOS.
Minification of HTML5 games now faster with UglifyJS. Require Node.js to be installed.
The scene editor now displays the border of the window.
Fixed crashed when searching in events.
Fixed support of projects with filenames using Windows separator () on linux.
Various fixes.

For now, this version is only available on the forum:
http://www.compilgames.net/dl/gd34722.exe (Windows)
http://www.compilgames.net/dl/gd34722.7z (Windows, without installer)
http://www.compilgames.net/dl/game-deve … _amd64.deb (Ubuntu)

Please do backup of your game files before opening them with this new version: files saved with this version can’t be opened by an old version.

I’ve finally solved this serious memory leak issue, and added automatised tests (see https://travis-ci.org/4ian/GD/) that will make sure that such bugs won’t ever happen again

recent new games made with gd:

ProjectZ

groupIt:

source code:

vend dodge

Gamedevelop now also has a WEB APP version:
https://gdevapp.com/
It can run from a web browser on any device. It is optimized for touch screens.

Web app made games can be loaded in gamedevelop

Sounds like a nice update. Does it support Ouya?

Ouya runs Android, so in theory yes- it does :slight_smile:

Well in theory, but Ouya uses different sdk, so the controls might not work.

you’re right. That might need some extra work to get going. I am not entirely sure how exactly ouya’s input system works and if it requires extra work to get it to work. More importantly if that extra work lies with gamedevelop, intel xdk or ouya’s devkit?

If anybody knows please share :slight_smile:

Here are some breaking news! GD is getting a new tile object and a tile editor, inspired by the one in rpg maker:

its already on the git server for anyone to look at :slight_smile:
The developer claims its almost ready too.

cheers

New bug fix version is out today:

New russian translation: Thanks to Airvikar!
Fixed crashed when searching in events.
Fixed support of projects with filenames using Windows separator () on linux.
Fix layers not hidden in HTML5 games
Various fixes.

also there is a tutorial on porting GD games to Android and iOS for anyone interested:
http://wiki.compilgames.net/doku.php/en/game_develop/tutorials/howtouseintelxdk

This kind of statements get in my nerves. Learning a programming language IS something everyone can do it.

Coders do not fall out of trees.

Learning a language is not hard. Learning to create complex software is hard and that applies wether you use a programming language or not. Actually the reason why software like this is not used for very complex games is because its actually easier to do it with a programming language.

you can say the same about BGE :slight_smile:
It is such an elitist thing to say. Learning your first programming language can take literally months.

What I meant is that you will not need to learn SYNTAX. It is damn easy to just jump in!
You still need to learn some fundamental programming skills in order to use this software. It is visual programming.
And you still need to know some math and have common sense in how logic is set up.

But you know what it is great for? It is great for teaching the fundamental ideas of programming to people who are interested in learning programming.

So actually this can be used for education. It is good for rapid prototyping.

There are currently many indie games on steam and many games on the app store that have been made by similar software to this one. Multimedia fusion made games, game maker, construct 2, tons of rpg maker games too.

Learning the syntax of a language and the theory behind programming in general is not easy. It might have been for you. But not everyone has the patience to learn a programming language. There is a lot of digging through documentation. Nobody tells you where to start. And you are learning a new language. Literally. If you dont learn how to structure your code, there is going to be a lot of trial and error in the start.
Yes it is probably faster once you learn it well. But untill then you can not just dive in and get something working quickly as you will with a visual programming tool.

I can teach a person literally to start creating a game with python in 1 second. Actually the illusion that is simpler without using a programming language its that , an illusion , its not simpler. It also depends on the tools you are using , for example like Blender is not for those that want something as simple as microsoft paint , the same way there are simple game libraries and there are complex game libraries.

Simplicity and easy of use comes with a price , lack of power, while power comes with price of complexity. You just choose your poison.

I am not against the idea of not using a programming language , afterall a language is an interface. Instead of using your mouse and clicking stuff you type. So there is no reason why something else cannot be used instead to achieve similar results.

So no apps like this are not simpler, there are diffirent. And yes you can jump to something like python immediately because python start with such basic concept that are unavoidable that means you will be doing the same stuff whether you like it or not.

For example how you repeat an action ? how you call an action slightly diffirently each time ? how you examine a condition ? where you store your data ? how you manage your data ?

These are the type of things you will learn with a syntax of a programming language and are concept that are so fundamental not just to programming but any kind of software you create.

These are not programming language concepts, there are logical concepts. Afterall programming languages are made not to create games , make applications that the realm of programming libraries, there are made to solve logical problems.

I invite anyone to read this book even briefly to see exactly what I mean --> http://inventwithpython.com/

Sure something like C will introduce you to more technical details about manual memory management, but then if you game is very demanding graphics wise then you should be worry about memory management or if you dont want to deal with use something like Python.

If you dont dive in from first minute of learning a language to creating software then your way of learning is really bad. Practice is extremely important way to learn. Reading books means nothing.

Uhm, in addition to what blurymind said:

I can code in c++, I have written my own games from scratch in java, I have used dozens of different engines.

But still I am looking at this with vivid interest, because sometimes it’s just nice to have a simple quick way of making games.

And yes, a little more empathy for people who are starting out their interest in game design. Learning programming can be extremely intimidating, because it’s both a new language as well as abstract concepts.
Using something like game-develop allows people to learn the abstract concepts first. When they have an idea of how to manipulate the computer, it’ll be easier to visualise how to use written programming to do so.

EDIT: I guess my point is that it’s just less intimidating. And not everyone has a tutor or dares to find one.

I took two programming classes in school spanning over two years, I can now code a basic calculator in C++, yay…

Trust me, I would love to learn to program but I spent the better part of those two years trying to understand how functions work and I still don’t. Not everyone can learn a programming language dude, I know that from personal experience :stuck_out_tongue:

It really depends on the language, Python for example is a lot easier to pick up and code with than C++ for instance (in part because it doesn’t even need to be compiled). It really depends on what the language the engine API is derived from.

In this case Ninth Jake kind of picked an example from the harder end, I’ve heard a number of people say that trying to make C++ your first language is nothing short of madness.

Sure, learning a programming language is (for most of the common ones), a piece of cake. However, doing something productive with that knowledge is not something everyone can do. I used to think that people who claimed not to “get it” (the majority of folks I know outside development circles) were either making it up, lazy, or just not interested. Turns out that programming is easy for those of us who “think” in a given way and difficult for what my wife calls “neurotypical” folks.

Coders don’t fall out of trees, but not everyone who picks up a “Learn Python in 21 Days” textbooks is going to have the right mental framework to turn that knowledge into a productive skill. I know a great many things about game theory & probability… not very good at using those skills at gambling though :wink: