Freestyle for Blender

Animation or not.

Animation. Animation. Animation…

don’t want to spoil the fun but this is not rendered in Freestyle it’s just the reference for guideline rendering. This is the actual Freestyle rendering:

http://freestyle.sourceforge.net/GALLERY/GUIDING-LINES/seatedman-guidinglines.php

cheers,
Bob

Freestyle = More better NPR in Blender. And please also add Flash and SVG output for Freestyle.

Hi!

First I would like to say I am really happy about this! A freestyle composite node is something I’ve been talking about for a while - I e-mailed Stephane a while back and we agreed it would make a great GSoc project! :yes:. Anyhow, I have a couple of suggestions.

• Preset modules are great for people not comfortable with coding Python stylemodules. It would be great if the node (it should be a composite node really) could scan a subdirectory of the Blender installation folder for all stylemodules (in case the user has added their own custom modules).

• Having played around with stylemodules myself, I know they are really easy to understand and edit to your liking! “Advanced” users should therefore have the choice between writing seperate style modules (as described above) or referencing the Blender Text window for styles.

• Temporal coherence would be a very very nice feature. Depending on how hard the integration would be as it stands, I think it should be made part of the GSoc project if not too unrealistic - there are papers for temporal coherence out there as I am sure you know!

Anyway, it seems that Blender may well get another awesome (unique?) new feature and Freestyle has a bright new future! Good luck Stephane!

Koba

Would the PyNode be useful for the styles?

Could styles be applied at mesh/object level via nodes so that different styles could be applied to different objects in the same render or render layer rather than at composite stage.

is composite node a bit too far down the render process?

Looking forward to someone taking up the challenge, so far only response to Stephane on the bf mailing list is talk of the possibility of a render api somewhere in the future and to start there. :frowning:

render api somewhere in the future and to start there
Yellow

by render api?Does that mean it would work the same way as Yafray and other external renderers?I do like the idea of having control over the process in the mesh/object stage though.

I’m still using Freestyle with Blender the way it is now,but can’t render sences over 1000 vertices…don’t know why.If Blender is going to do most of 3d scene calculation we are going to have a serious Freestyle gallery around here:).

How close to the effects of Freestyle can we get with the current set of material and composite nodes already in Blender? Are we re-inventing the wheel? Is adding Freestyle going to obsolete some node setups people already have?

Hi RONIN

The new render api I understand will make it easier for blender to communicate with external renderers, like aqsis, kerkythea etc. I’d imagine more like a plugin where all the render options appear in the render panel rather than from a python script.

But I guess just having the api doesn’t necessarily mean everyone will have lots of renderers to choose from, the code would still have to be done in each renderer to communicate with blenders new render api when it arrives.

How well each ‘intergrates’ with regard to passes, nodes and materials who knows.

I don’t think there is any render api documentation to follow at the present time and it seems really disappointing to hear talk of that making it an obstacle to implementing Freestyle.

There seems to be a distinct lack of interest on the mailing list, I hope things are going on in the background to make Freestyle in blender a reality.

Ammusionist:

I’m no coder and i don’t understand where Freestyle would have to fit in to blender but I’d imagined it to be implemented via nodes.

Guys I hope someone takes up the challenge, how much reworking of an implementation that would have to be done after the render api gets sorted is anyones guess, maybe we just have to wait another 12 months or more.

I’ve recently rebuilt my machine and changed distro, i’ve just tried compiling Freestyle from CVS and last release and it’s failing, so i can’t even use it as it is even though it was a bit flakey it was fun.

Bobtronic, yes I discovered that soon after. still very amazing.

i’m not saying that integration of this wouldnt be cool, but personaly, npr doesnt strike me as all that necessary. the reason i got into 3d is because i like 3d renders. if i want to sketch something, i am going to sketch it. however, i do know a bunch of people who would love to jump on this tech, unfortunitly, they currently dont know anything about 3d art. in fact, all the people i know who would like this tech, are completely oblivious to blender and 3d art. if you want to get thoes people using this, you need to make it as easily accessable as possible.

i do know a bunch of people who would love to jump on this tech, unfortunitly, they currently dont know anything about 3d art.

I think you’re right… I think that actually suggests that blender would greatly widen its appeal if you could do something like this. There are a lot of people out there who aren’t really so keen on the classic CG Pixar/Final Fantasy look… and those are the people who have been sceptical to get into CG in the first place. With the possiblity to do Freestyle type renders—and especially for animation—I think a lot of people would see Blender through new eyes.

I am actually over the freaking moon about this. I’m definitely looking forward to updates.

heh, well i like both npr &pr and off course it would make blender even more appealing! :smiley:

if i want to sketch something, i am going to sketch it
It funny you should say that.When I’m modeling,it feels a lot like I’m drawing.

I love 3d renders too,but does it always have to strive for the photoreal look…I don’t think so.

Yes,knowing how to sketch your ideas out is a good thing especially with 3d.
I draw children’s books an comics for a living an have no problem with this issue,and I’ve been using blender since the NAN days.
I’ll be the happiest blender head when my 3d renders look the same as my illustration style.

Example:

Been watching this a lot lately.
Akira’s Katsuhiro Ôtomo latest character designs in 3d.

http://freedom-project.jp/

http://i.yimg.jp/images/streaming/special/freedom2/pict_file_19.jpg
http://i.yimg.jp/images/streaming/special/freedom2/pict_file_01.jpg
http://i.yimg.jp/images/streaming/special/freedom2/pict_file_04.jpg

I couldn’t find any pics of the intro to the show, but it looks like a moving Japanese manga.

Now…back to that wonderful Freestyle integration.

@ Ronin, I just love these CM’s, absolutely amazing stuff! But yeah back to topic, I would be interested in an integration of freestyle. Keep us updated on things!

Would love to see this as part of blender! Let me know if you need testers :slight_smile:

hey the news is in blendernation,yessssssss!
welcome frestyle!

Been very interested in this kind of thing recently i found out about freestyle when playing with cinema 4d. lots of fun.
this would be a kool tool to use and with animations it would be even better!

I’m glad Freestyle is getting a lot of new notice,I truly believe in having it within Blender.If a developer doesn’t step up I’m willing to donate to the people who can.
You can achieve some good Non photo real images in Blender already.But edge detection?Compared to what other 3d applications can do just out the box?..It is so behind the times it’s not even funny.Freestyle can fill in this gap and NPR still has not reached it’s full potential in animation,even by users of other software.

I’ve tried to pull a look like SABINE HITIER’s Petit à petit http://www.sabinehitier.com/images/PAPLT.jpg,and failed.Freestyle on the other hand has a style module that colors your edges depending what material colors you chose on your object…Nice…That and a lot more.:).

Stephane,

out of curiosity,since you know your way in your own code,can Freestyle’s vert count rendering be increased?

Does anybody know if freestyle is able to render the thickness of lines based on distance from the ‘camera’? For instance in a crowd of people, the people closest to the viewer are rendered in a thicker outline. The people farther away would have a thinner outline.

Indeed, I realy hope this gets integrated. It has been on my wishlist for some time. At this moment I was unable to get the standalone version working on my mac running OSX.

Please let this be true!

Chears,
Beeckie68