Fluids

Now I’m wondering if it was weight painting or dynamic paint I saw being…

Hi All

@Ghost, those are going to be some happy cats, are you going to be dragged into building it? :smiley:

Spent some time tonight having yet another go, I think I am starting to like the ocean but the sea spray is not convincing me, I will have to try another way to do it. Seem to have managed to crack some transparency in the water, but maybe too much glossy.

Shaun

Speedy I wish I could but that is not a option now. Her youngest son , mid fifties and retired, will handle that. And, like me the young man despises a half ass job. So the damn cats are in good hands. With a wheelchair accessible motel.

You are playing around like we do. The lightning is outstanding. Maybe you are trying to pin down just one aspect in your render to soon.

Theres a movie named for a ‘rouge wave’ squall line?, 3oo, perfect storm, @secrets of nature.

Wow, that’s a cool wave, Shaun. The ocean material is spectacular.

Yeah, I remember that feeling well. For countless times I clicked on an icon accidentally and everything stopped working. It took quite some time to feel comfortable with the GUI. But I’d say that such a powerful software simply must have that many controls in the GUI. And once I learned how to work with it everything feels super fast.

Ghost, that’s a nice cat house. Lucky cats you have :wink:

Hi All

@Ghost, this darn 3D crap we do, what looks good today does not look good tomorrow. :spin:

Those are some fortunate cats, you gotta keep us up to speed here when this thing starts, as I said before I know cats to have baskets so this will be a new one for me.

@Smokey, thanks for looking in here. Yes the movie that you are referring to is called White Squall, did not even think about it until you mentioned it just now, the artist that did that work was Travis Baumann.

@minoribus, thank you, maybe I will send that wave over to the Forgotten Harbour if those people need some excitement in their lives. :evilgrin:

Starting to be happy with the way it is coming together now, will want to add dolphins as Poseidon always seems to have these around him, not too sure if I should actually model them or just use some pictures as they will be very small. (maybe model a dolphin and use it as a spin off in another project, do really love those animals). These can also then visit minoribus’s harbour.

Added a few dolphins from pictures, just to start to see the kind of scale that I am looking at.

Shaun

Just outstanding!

Returning from a Blender break and trying to catch up on some of the projects. The wave is looking outstanding in #26. The splashes look very realistic IMO. I think it would benefit from finding a way to slightly soften the very peak of the wave running horizontally. Looks a little too sharp to me.

Are you still planning on integrating the water man?

@Ghost, thank you very much Sir.

@A.I. Thanks for visiting, The spray and a whole lot of the image is Photoshopped.

Thanks for the link, I have seen it already, that guy did a fantastic amount of work on that wave.

Not sure if you could get the particle system to do the spray correctly in blender, even the spray in the vid you linked was done after the animation was made. Looks like some sort of particle generator probably done in something like Adobe After Effects or similar.

Have a look at the breakdown here.

https://youtu.be/S9LtDzTeb_c

@harley, how you been man, have missed you on the forum for a while now. Thanks for looking in here. The top of the wave has bothered me too, thinking what might be the best way to get it a bit smoother, open to ideas.

And yes Poseidon is itching to get into the waves. :smiley:

Shaun

I think the upper part of the wave needs some transparency and/or translucency and/or SSS. As is, it looks as if the water was as deep inside the wave as at the sea surface.

Other than that, it looks pretty convincing to me!

Thorsten

@thorst, thanks for having a look and commenting. You are not the 1st to notice this or comment on this issue with the pic, and it is an issue.

I think that maybe the problem lies in the fact that it is not glossy at the top of the wave because the transparency is there if you look at the attached pic.

Shaun

You are right, perhaps the glossyness is missing. But if you look at this picture:

To me it seems as if the saturated, greenish hue in the mouth of the wave is a case for SSS. But I have never done anything like that before, so it may be wrong. Another option would be to try replicating the physical process in the wave, where the light path is refracted on the surface.

Thorsten

The foaming spray on the left side is so wonderful. How in the world did you made that? A short explanation would be very kind of you :slight_smile:

The wave crest on the right side and the geometry of the wave at that side is a bit difficult to understand. I wonder of it shouldn’t be a bit more blended towards the viewer?

But this is already fantastic and more realistic than the video you linked in #30.

The wave looks a lot more convincing now. Nice!

The foaming spray on the left side is so wonderful. How in the world did you made that? A short explanation would be very kind of you :slight_smile:

I second that… but what I’m impressed the most with is the foam itself you have going on in the water in general… it looks great.

The wave is looking great and it’s but a bit player. Have you tried a format with the main character yet.

Hi All

@thorst, have a look and see what you think now, did also up the SSS a bit.

@minoribus, thank you. I would like to say that it is all Blender, but it is not. The spray is all done in PS. I have altered the colour of the wave a bit, see if you think that the colouring now gives more depth as I think that this is what you are talking about.

minoribus I tried to do the foam in Blender, but the results were very unpredictable and if you managed to get what you are looking for with the very fine foam and splashes you end up with a files that are bigger than 1.5 Gigs, so the render times are ridiculous.

@rjshae, thanks man.

@harley, thanks, the sea itself with the foam is a texture on the wave mesh.

@Ghost, thanks. I have not put Poseidon in the scene yet, but I have been playing around with him. Still not 100% sure how I will end up making him. The earlier attempts with the fluid system as you know had huge render times with files upwards of 1 Gig, but the definition I am looking for was not there.

The thing with fluids is that you can continue to up the resolution, but it gets to a point where Blender crashes. So…conundrum.

Please have a look and see what you all think.

Shaun

I’m liking it and the dimensions of the frame along with the view is a power theme. Now here’s a stupid observation couldn’t he just be glass or ‘Those nodes’. With the right lighting and hdr who knows. Kind’ a in a hurry. This is going to be something.

First I’d like to say that this is a beautiful piece and I hope one day I will be able to make something like it.
I think the postion of your black cloud was better in 11.
along with how you had the foam made it easier for me to see your waves curve.
But I also love the lightning you have in the back of 17.
I would love to see how this piece gets finished

First I’d like to say that this is a beautiful piece and I hope one day I will be able to make something like it.
I think the postion of your black cloud was better in 11.
along with how you had the foam made it easier for me to see your waves curve.
But I also love the lightning you have in the back of 17.
I would love to see how this piece gets finished