Face Rig

Haha. Nice to see something from you tyrant. A couple things: first is I know you’re going for a toony look, but the ears just aren’t working for me. They seem to be rather thick without much depth. Bridgman’s planes of the ear, my friend. Also, I don’t know what about, but something about the bridge of the nose seems off. Also, the neck might be a tidge too thin, although that really comes down to stylization preference. Overall it’s looking nice.

@Graphix It’s a bit late of all that mate I am also not doing any thing realistic this is strictly stylized in the Disney,Pixar style . The ears are “Pixar ears” if there is such a thing as "Pixar ear"s but if you look at Helen or Violet’s ears than you will see that design.

I have already at this point created about 80% of my shape keys, there are like 30 of them so I am not changing the Basis shape at all. I am fine with the ears and neck actually but wish I had made the head straighter, lips thinner, more variation to the teeth, pulled in the nostrals in deeper and sculpted the indented part of the ears a little deeper. I also think my eyes were to small for this style of character after looking at screen shots of Elsa and Rapunzel.

The big goal is the rig so I need to focus on getting that right and chalk up the other errors as lessons of the next head.

Amazing! Love your character… The best is doing topology before rigging for character that would save time rather than doing sculpt-retopology-rigging… That is what I m doing…keep up with your progressive forward to follow up your progressive! Good job…

It’s time to bring this one back to life and finish it.

@mycatnameistux (a very late reply) …it’s always sculpt-retopology-rigging(shape keys) that is the standard practice.

You sculpt first because it is easy to change the shape of your model and try out new concepts and ideas. Topology is the technical side of modeling that is there to make rigging easier. Before zbrush and other sculpting you always had to do your topology while working on the form of you model this was a slow and difficult workflow.

My advice to anyone if you can seperate working on the form from working on the topology then do it. Sculpt first then work on the topology.

Only on blenderartists do I see a lot of people still starting off by making detailed organic models polygon by polygon this is just stupid to me especially because Blender has dynamic topology you can start of with a sphere or cube and have an amazing character in a matter of hours.

Then you can work on the topology with tools like polystrips(Blender), zbrush, 3dcoat or Topogun. With the form already figured out this can be an incredible fast process. I did re-topo this face by hand but the topology totally my hours up was about a 4 to 5 hour job. I’m planning on buying polystrips for my next project so I think I could knock it down to a 2 hour job for a face.

Any how…My inexperience in making shape keys almost had me giving up on this model she has about 80% of the shape keys I originally wanted. I think I will just start making my interface and trying to figure out a hair style. I want to use all that I learned here for a complete character.

Playing around with my skin shader and cycles…

If you go for shapekeys, try to separate them as much as possible.

about the smile, corner of the mouse have to get wider and higher, there should be a plit overing the upper lip and falling on the lower corner of the lower lip. Check dipecable me girls references, these are cool.

if you go for true rigging, use unparented bone chains with strech to and damped track constraints.
make some copy tranformation constraint on the controlers.

have a look to the pitchipoy meta rig. Seems crazy at first look but is very obvious once you’ dug in