Exporting OBJ and FBX physically break edges - no love for the game making community?

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Translation, thank you. That one feature alone will be a boost for Blender on the game asset front.

This is the beauty of the Blender forum and collaborating with people that can code :wink:

Looking forward to this - the last wall to reject Blender seems to be soon gone …

Well its certainly a tall wall, and rightfully so but its a huge step in the right direction, and its one of those over looked features that will pull in a large assortment of people.

Next up, Undo in object mode and or a history/attribute stack (wishful thinking).

So exporting mesh into ASE for example (or any other format for that matter) after add-on was used to modify vertex normals on a mesh, Blender still recalculates them?

This is the beauty of the Blender forum and collaborating with people that can code

Yes indeed. We ask, they serve. :smiley:
Well… nevermind. I wish I knew a little coding (a little LOL)…
A big thank you.
What I mentioned on multires though, what IMMO mentioned, is. This modifier can’t bake on the base mesh, It asks for a second subdivision level. Not very good. We need very low poly base ~500 faces, so to have a ~2000 active mesh for baking. 500 faces provide excellent performance for multires sculpting but in most cases it’s rather impossible. I became a little expert to retopo on so low polys. Good for sculpting, not quite good for animating. Too low.

That’s awesome! Thanks a lot for fixing this!

I don’t have Maya here so I can’t check if it works, but when I export I usually tick the “Objects as OBJ Groups” and that usually solves that problem. I know this at least works for Marmoset and I think ZBrush too (not sure about that one though). If anyone’s interested here’s the rest of the settings I use for game-art export.

Hi, quick follow up on this, since I didn’t get around to adding smooth-group support this week (2.67a bugfix release ended up being more of a distraction then I expected).

Think I’ll be able to get it done this week still, its not really that big a task (a day or so).

Hey, great - looking forward to it!

I did a double take to see this issue finally come close to be resolved. I’ve been contacting Howard on and off over this for probably a year. Just being able to import vertex normals, lock them and use them for rendering would open up a whole new branch of possibilities in with the CAD world for Blender. Sadly while it was mentioned in the meeting notes it doesn’t show up on the targets list? Just a rudementary support (no editing) for a start would make a lot of people happy.

Thanks in advance Campbell. :slight_smile: This should mean blender users will now be able to use tools like handplane which requires smooth groups.

Im glad to hear that export of hard edges is comming. Especially when we plan to add Blender to the game development pipeline in company. Hard edge export is on of the biggest blocks. Amongs other things, usable normal baking, but it is for other thread. Im really looking forward to this and cross all my fingers to make it :slight_smile: Good luck

any news about hard edge exporting?

I’m guessing he’s been mostly tied up with 2.67b release. He’ll get to it eventually though, ideasman averages like 15 trillion commits a day. :stuck_out_tongue:

I understand that :slight_smile: He is doing great job here. Anyway is there any serious thread about serious feature requests? Something like “focused feature request?” :stuck_out_tongue: I would like to see some serious discussion about developing blender for 3d artists to fulfill industry requirements. Nothing like “I would like to have colorful ui” or something, but serious requests from people in game industry.

Serious requests (meaning you have the time, resources, skill and money to implement them yourself or hire someone) go to the bf-committers or bf-funboard mailing lists.

Well, just like how there’s the advance toon rendering thread, where basically everything useful regarding NPR rendering is being discussed, you could set up a thread about Game-design focused modeling.

You could start with linking this thread and the thread about normal editing functionality. Or you could start listing all game-design industry standards, and then start checking them off as Blender supports them. If you can do it with enough rationalism and I guess, most importantly, enthusiasm and goodwill, it should become pretty productive.

Thank you for nice reply. So I assume there is no thread about it. So lets start it :slight_smile: I would like to see and do believe that one day Blender will be a full tool for game industry, as well as other sectors. Therahedwig, you actually hit the nail on head. The rationalism.

Any updates? :slight_smile:

I sincerely hope this makes it into 2.68. My fingers are crossed! :slight_smile:

Sorry for the delay, got caught up with other stuff.

Added the API command to convert sharp-edges to smoothgroups this afternoon,
after which - adding support into OBJ was trivial.

Addons commit r4577 - http://markmail.org/message/7di2oadr4eh57lto

Will check on FBX export next, Ill make sure these get into 2.68