Engine Roar

i have linux on a 32gb usb stick. full instalation, not a live version. works perfect and i got my pc to go wherever i am. i also use windows, but only when there is no linux version of the program i want to use. gimp starts so much faster on linux. and i hate windows doing thing in the background and i dont know what it is doing. my hdd runs all the time on windows.

Engine Roar (Test 0.05)
Damage to the machine.

It looks pretty, but the lag is just horrible. You may want to switch screen recorder and/or optimise game!

Engine Roar (Test 0.05)

Now I use the program “Recordmydesktop” video is now without much lag :slight_smile:

Changes:

1. Damage to the machine.
  2. Lod optimization.
  3. Test 5 opponents.
  4. Improved track “Dump”
1 Like

Wow… Looking better and better!

Very professional work, apart from the lag, everything looks awesome!
It also reminds me of FlatOut 2, a really cool game. Keep up the good work :smiley:

Amazing visuals, you should start working on that lag :wink:

I see you enable normal on diffuse texture for ground. That makes the normalmap look pixelated and drops framerate aswell. I would take the texture, copy it, open in GIMP and do Filters -> Map -> Make normalmap(I don’t remember if this needed plugin, but I think that it didn’t) and it will generate it for you. Export as the TextureName_n.png or something like that and open as another texture for ground. in Image Sampling(Texture tab) enable normalmap and enable normals below. Disable normals for the diffuse color:)

Engine Roar - CONQUEROR

Progress / Changes:

1. New Track - The Concrete Road
  2. New сar - CONQUEROR
  3. Improved menu
  4. Screensaver!

]

It does require a plug-in to make normal maps (at least in my version of Gimp…v2.8)

What I do to make normal maps, at least this works well for things like terrain:
-Greyscale your diffusion texture. Adjust as needed.
-For ground/grass/dirt/etc, I usually take a duplicate of the greyscale image, set it as a layer over the other, set it to Multiply, and give it a healthy dose of Tileable Blur. This gives the whole height-map a bit of semi-accurate bumpy topology on top of the finer details.
-In Blender, create a plane, subdivide it a whole lot (I usually subdivide it a few times, then use a subSurf modifier to get further subdividisions). The bigger your texture, the more divisions you’ll need.
-Unwrap the plane (so your texture will fit it the way you want).
-Give it a Displace modifier, set its texture to the height-map you made in Gimp. Adjust settings to your liking (remember, less is more!)
-Bake the normal from your displaced mesh onto another plane, and save the baked normal map!
-You can also use this to get your AO map too, if you want that.

Sounds like a chore, but much of this you can set up in a .blend file and re-use it. Just swap out the displacement texture, and re-define the dimensions of your baked image if necessary.

Puup, for recording you should use “Simple Screen recorder”. It is the best/fast recorder for linux. Try it :-).

BTW, very nice work. I will contact you to test the new joystick vibration support that i’m implementing (if you can, of course)

Great work but what is causing lag, is it your rig or poor optimization ?

I’ve tested latest concrete road file and it is ~20 FPS on GeForce GT 610. Not bad at all for the high detail. When it comes to optimisation, I may help in the part of materials where they should be managed well and texture atlases are needed.

Engine Roar - KELSEY

Thank you! I use '‘RecordMyDesktop’. Think that it is the most faster recorder for Linux. I know about “Simple Screen recorder” and I tested all programs for recording.

We will do support joystick, if possible )

Thank you! Perhaps the problem in CPU but game working good.

Your modeling and texturing skills are awesome! Keep to this style. One thing I would change if I was your is the maps/environment. This game is crying for MadMax like environment - post-apocalyptic look.

what does your profiler say % wise?

what is eating your fps?

What do you mean?(rating?)
I put 60 and all working good. GeForce GT 730