DXF import script for Blender 2.5

Thanks Migius, I’d like to try it, but Firefox complains that the connection to the webpage is not secure :confused:

the same effect here. my trick was to accept this outdated certificate.

when is 2.6 going to be out ? can’t wait :smiley:

nobody knows… april 2011?

Migius,

do you think there’s a possibility to export DXF from Blender, with the option of turning off all the edges that are not visible with the naked eye?
here in this video that i’ve posted , you can see that from minute 2:55 the chair is in a top view without seeing the back lines. Practically all that could be seen is the outlines or the shape of the chair but the legs from beneath cannot be seen.
This is very useful in architectural elevations and such.

what do you think ?

is it possible to export the shape and the lines that are viewed form the camera mode, without unseen lines?

There is “HiddenLine”-feature in DXF-exporter.py (for 2.49). It is a very simple implementation -it only filters out edges of back-oriented faces for 2d-projection-mode.
A better hidden-line-remover was developed for Vector_Renderer project. Unfortunately not completed yet, no activities since two years.
Hint: it looks like Freestyle for Blender offers similar functionality.

i mean, when i import the dxf file into Qcad or Caduntu, to be able to see just the contours of ( in the video) the chair, not any constructive lines or such.

i think is a vector that (i believe that’s the name) i need not a visual artistic enhancements.

by the way, how can Freestyle for Blender be installed? , i don’t find any download link

and by the way , in the video, what you see is actually a blueprint, from Layout application, a nice feature of sketchup pro, that allows you create your blueprint with whateva’ views or perspective you want, with the style you select, and it’s all vector, the objects are easy dimensioning.

I will write this for DXF-exporter sooner or later. Probably later, cause i am very busy with CADtools project now.

by the way, how can Freestyle for Blender be installed? , i don’t find any download link
Look at http://www.graphicall.org/builds/ for Freestyle-build

thanks Migius,
you do awesome plugins i saw your Cad tools on your website, and since i started working with beldner from 2.50 , i would love to see them working with the new API.

also, when you finish the DXF exporter, please do right on this Thread, and give us the good news! :smiley: an please don’t forget about this very useful feature, of exporting just the visible lines, without any additional hidden geometry lines, that i have been writing you about.

(if you didn’t understand what i’m talking about please sat, and i will do a little video demo with sketchup, better than that youtube video :wink: )

thanks again, mate, and keep up the good work :wink:

Hi,
thanks for this plugin. I’m an architecture student and I’m trying to focus in opensource tools.
I cannot get this plugin to work properly.
If I choos file->import->autocad nothing happens.
Then I tried to call the plugin from console, here’s the output:

bpy.ops.import_scene.autocad_dxf("/Users/sanzo/Downloads/Mies.dxf")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<blender_console>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Applications/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/2.55/scripts/modules/bpy/ops.py", line 159, in __call__
    ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), C_dict, kw, C_exec)
TypeError: Calling operator "bpy.ops.import_scene.autocad_dxf" error, expected a string enum in ('INVOKE_DEFAULT', 'INVOKE_REGION_WIN', 'INVOKE_REGION_CHANNELS', 'INVOKE_REGION_PREVIEW', 'INVOKE_AREA', 'INVOKE_SCREEN', 'EXEC_DEFAULT', 'EXEC_REGION_WIN', 'EXEC_REGION_CHANNELS', 'EXEC_REGION_PREVIEW', 'EXEC_AREA', 'EXEC_SCREEN')

As you can see I’m using 2.55 on Mac OS X snow leopard.
any help?
Thanks in advance!

Hi sanzoghenzo,
welcome on BA-forum!
/it would be nice if you write some details about you in your profile here/

the importer script should work on 2.55, (at least it works for me.)
Look at this introduction to add-ons installation on blenderwiki:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.5/Manual/Extensions/Python/Add-Ons

hope it helps,
migius

Hi migius,
thanks for the quick response.
EDIT:
I just tried to start blender with debug active, and I got this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/2.55/scripts/addons/io_import_scene_dxf.py", line 2080, in invoke
    wm.fileselect_add(self)
AttributeError: 'WindowManager' object has no attribute 'fileselect_add'

After a quick search, it turns out that the correct method is add_fileselect().
Changing the line makes it work without problems.
Cheers form Italy!

sanzoghenzo,
thank you for your report.
I will upload there the new version today.

edit: no upload yet, because i found some critical bugs they must be corrected before release

This is most excellent. I am very pleased to have DXF import in Blender 2.5.

It seems that the some of the TextCurve attributes have been renamed recently. I had to make the following changes to get this script to work with the latest SVN trunk.

io_import_scene_dxf.py
1028    cu.text_size = size          >>    cu.size = size
1029    cu.word_spacing = spacing    >>    cu.space_word = spacing

I just downloaded the script and enabled it. There was an error as I import a file, ‘WindowManager’ object has no attribute ‘fileselect_add’

fire46,
sorry for inconvenience, there is still the old version.
I found some critical bugs and i am trying to fix them before transfer the script to official release.
I will announce it here, it will be v.0.1.3 for Blender 2.56 beta.
migius

hi ThomasL,
i have spent some time updating your script, by the way learning new API
If you agree I will move your script into official release now. (updated for 2.56)

edit: the updated version 0.1.3 is uploaded here:
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/contrib/py/scripts/addons/

Hello, just found and fixed a liggle bug - the arcs were not built completely, I have here a lot of drawings with 90-degree arcs parts. Always the last vertex of arc was missing. I fixed it this way:

line 274 of the script from svn:
w = dphi/(theCircleRes - 1)

this ensures that the arc is complete - although I am not sure if this is correct, because this changes the sampling angle, while correct would probably be to add1 more vert(I didn’t find the spot where to do it…)

Actually, the correct line is just 6 lines lower and it needs

for n in range(theCircleRes + 1):