Does Cycles make the Internal Renderer useless?

I meant Unreal render by the way, yes Blender Internal still alive and I am using.

These guys do not know how to bake corners properly.

BI can still be seen as a having a lot of vitality when you note the NPR capabilities it has.

These NPR capabilities are things that can’t readily be done in a pathtracer and pretty much require a scanline solution (Cycles has a Toon shader, yes, but it can’t drive a shader attribute with a shader).

These guys do not know how to bake corners properly.

LOL, right you are

These NPR capabilities are things that can’t readily be done in a pathtracer and pretty much require a scanline solution (Cycles has a Toon shader, yes, but it can’t drive a shader attribute with a shader).

Right Ace, cycles toon shader is almost useless, if I may say so.

Not useless, I have successfully used it in multiple projects by way of controlling it with the lightpath node (only visible in the first bounce or so).

Without that energy control, the image will blow out in spots.

And that, my good friends, is the power and the beauty of choice. Blender has at least four rendering technologies – BI, Cycles, OpenGL, and Game – all compatible, all built-in, all ready for your casting-call. And then, on top of all that, it has excellent import/output capabilities. Plus “all the rest” of the necessary audio/video production line. All for the unbeatable price: “zero.”

Each of the built-in renderers has a fundamentally different approach to getting the same job done. You can mix-and-match these, even within a single shot or sequence, and you will often(!) find yourself doing just that. Because all of these systems use exactly the same geometry system, cameras and so-forth, all renders will coincide exactly. It’s really, really hard to beat such a combination. Talk of this-or-that being “dead” or “useless” is, therefore, superfluous.

“Izzat cool, or what?” :yes:

I would ask however, how much of the ‘realism’ in that was created by good 3d artists in existing 3d software, baking that realism with a non real time engine?

Not saying that the UE video isn’t nice looking, but I’ve seen some nice cryengine vids as well, and I would be more impressed with proper, moving and adaptive lighting and seeing how the glossy reacts in realtime then.

Heck, even the BGE can have you touring GI-lit environments with help from Cycles baking if the only interaction is walking around.

Though I do hear that UE4 may be getting a version of true, realtime GI in the next release, so the guy who made it might want to do a revision with no static lighting.

Looks like SSAO to me…

I didn’t read what others said, but I can say so each own has different features- cycles is photorealistic, but it renders slow. It is more useful for images, some short animations, like game cutscenes. Blender Render renders very quick. It is useful for movies, like 1h long and other stuff like that. You can compare yourself- what do you need!

well Blender Bake Is good for speed up render time but not on realtime like reflections, also I do not think Blender bake yet support instances bake lightmap,
for realtime I think Unreal uses Light Propagation Volumes and probably near future voxel-based like Nvidia realtime one,

I was thinking implementing something like this on Blender myself but it takes too much of my time, I do not have for now maybe someone tries to implement it, I see PBR activity.