Doc Brown from Back To The Future

Update on the remote control. It around 11k tris so far.

Modelled in Maya Right?

It’s Blender. I use a maya interface theme. I love the look of maya so I’ve kept it ever since.

Worked more in Zbrush.

Update time. Kinda done with the high poly so I started to make a low poly from retopologizing. I also did a quick render of the un textured mid res Zbrush Model in Blender.

Wow, this is looking very good, Speed0! The time spent studying the face has clearly paid off, the likeness is terrific! Even just seeing the low-poly placeholder hair on him in post #24, it is instantly recognizable as Doc. Outstanding work so far! The remote looks great as well.

Your sculpting is spot on accurate.

Thank you both very much! I think I’ll be doing a series of these likeness portraits for practice. Right now I’m thinking about Walter White and Frank Gallagher from Shameless, two of my favorite tv characters. First though is to finish Doc. I set up a basic SSS material and some nodes. I will be using Blender Internal as I don’t care for Cycles (I know thats odd) but I prefer Internal.

Heads been in the oven. Here is the low poly (2k tris) with Normal Map and AO done in Xnormal.

Working on basic texture. For the diffuse map I mixed Ambient Occlusion with Cavity and layered them together.

Retopoped the high poly clothing. I still have to UV map and bake details down.

This is looking good, Speed0, combining AO and cavity into the diffuse texture is a good approach and it emphasizes the depth. Did you make the cavity map also with xNormal or do you know a way to do it in Blender?

The last image looks like a stereoscopic one. I see blue an green edges around the image. Or did you experiment with chromatic aberration?

Thx minoribus. I was just messing around with some Lens Distortion Nodes. As for the Cavity Map, what I did was take the Normal map from Xnormal and desaturate it in GIMP. Then adjust the levels so his pores and wrinkles come out.

Update: I baked out the clothing detail. I just put down a base color. Here is the model with GLSL.

I still have to bake out his zipper and the accessories. Then make some poly hair.

Wow! That’s great.

I see a lot of people using Zbrush, why? Easier, more complete than Blender?

Thx. Ya with Zbrush you can push your poly count into the millions (Doc was over 4.5 million) without slow down. For me it has better sculpting tools and I like the interface.

I baked out Normals for the Zipper and applied that to a plane. I also started to make three types of polygon hair that I will use.

Attachments