Do you know some scary scifi movies?

I mentioned Pitch Black in post #12! :stuck_out_tongue:

That would be Ghosts of Mars (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228333). Not exactly a Carpenter master piece… but also not as bad as many make it out to be.

Prometheus however is a movie that I would never ever recommend to anyone ever, especially not if you’re a fan of Alien. If you’re just after the visual inspiration, stick with the trailer. That was indeed quite awesome. But the movie itself was just an insult. I taste bile whenever I even think of it…

Well, 3pointEdit, I overlooked that, sorry, was a late-night-post :slight_smile: and thanks tier777, that’s the one.

Oh right…Carpenter-The Thing, Cronenberg-The Fly, Clive Barker-Hellraiser.

I really liked “Sunshine”

Of course aliens, prometheus, blade runner has a dark vibe, the dark city, the thing, the fly, original godzilla, gattica is kind of got a creepy vibe.

Scary is hard to pin down, i can say with certainty though that “alien” and “aliens” are not scary at all. Event horizon is a little but a truly scary movie leaves you feeling uneasy even after it is over, fear isn’t blood guts and gore, it’s far more subtle. “starship troopers 2” could be considered a bit scary, but not hugely so. In the end one of the scariest sci-fi films i ever saw was a realy rather rubbish film called “UFO”, it had a bad plot and lacked cgi but depicted the most terrfiying thing possible. In it you don’t see the aliens, you barely see their ships and barely see death or gore, but you do see what happens to a suburban British town when the power goes down, the phones cut off, transport fails, infrastructure stops, the shops shelves fall empty and order collapses. That did leave me thinking for days afterwards about truly scary thoughts. So for fear, try and filnd that film (it came out 2012 ish and i think it was straight to dvd, it must be british in origin and it features some small roles from one or two half-famous actors). For a good film go for a normal sci-fi with lots of cgi, or with hard sci-fi accuracy , or even better BOTH. Would add, prometheus is a good film, but not very scary. I found the best thing about it was the depiction of the futuristoc human technology, very nice visual style to the ship and how it fits with the ground vehicles and other hardware.

Altered States (1980) is one. The story is about Eddie Jessup, a scientist obsessed with discovering mankind’s true role in the universe. To this end, he submits himself to a series of mind-expanding experiments. By enclosing himself in a sensory-deprivation chamber and taking hallucinogenic drugs, Jessup hopes to explore different levels of human consciousness, but instead is devolved into an apelike monster.

Then there is another recent interesting one called The Mist (2007). David Drayton and his young son Billy are among a large group of terrified townspeople trapped in a local grocery store by a strange, otherworldly mist. David is the first to realize that there are things lurking in the mist - deadly, horrifying things - creatures not of this world. Survival depends on everybody in the store pulling together, but that is hardly possible, given how human nature is. As reason crumbles in the face of fear and panic, David begins to wonder what terrifies him more: the monsters in the mist or the ones inside the store, the human kind, the people that until now had been his friends and neighbors.

Another very popular sci-fi horror flick is Aliens (1986). This one is an extremely popular one, which is but obvious as the director of the film is James Cameron. Ellen Ripley is the last surviving crew member of a corporate spaceship destroyed after an attack by a vicious, virtually unbeatable alien life form. Adrift in space for half a century, Ripley grapples with depression until she is informed by her company’s representative that the planet where her crew discovered the alien has since been settled by colonists. Contact with the colony has suddenly been lost, and a detachment of colonial marines is being sent to investigate. Invited along as an advisor, Ripley predicts disaster, and sure enough, the aliens have infested the colony, leaving a sole survivor, the young girl Newt. With the soldiers picked off one by one, a final all-female showdown brews between the alien queen and Ripley, who has become a surrogate mother to Newt. A must watch.

How about some oldies but goodies?

Galaxy of terror is a damn good roger corman horror flick notable for a few things. It has Robert Englund in an early and very ironic role given his later career. It also has a young edward Albert in his pre star days, classic horror movie icon sid haig and SF vet ray walston. Also it was the first movie that James Cameron got to work on as an assistant, and he made some valuable contributions.

Planet of the vampires may have no actual vampires in it, but it is perhaps the only good SF movie italy ever made and shows a lot on influence on later SF and horror films like alien. Also some sections of the human starship look a little like the design of the later enterprise in star trek. It was directed by legendary director mario bava and is pretty atmospheric.

Quatermass and the pit is a classic hammer horror/sf movie that really shows why hammer was so respected in it’s day. It’s a rare mix of sf, horror and an intelligent plot and dialog, please catch it if you haven’t. Released in 'murca as “5 million years to earth”.

Lifeforce, from the early 80’s has some sf horror elements in it, combined with one of the most beautiful women in history preforming extensively in the nude. Might want to fold an especially absorbent towel in your lap to catch the drool. Also starring patrick stewart in what may have been his most embarrassing role.

Phantoms, based on dean koontz’s novel, is a more recent and effective SF horror movie, notable for having screen legend peter o’toole drop the F bomb in his merry british accent.

Host movie?
There are two of them.
And of course the american is what you’ll find. Not bad at all, however a very different movie. Not a remake or something, completely irrelevant and certainly not a scaring Shi-fi.
You probably mean this movie

I just saw Under the Skin the other day. Great film with a wonderfully bleak and tense atmosphere and some pretty horrifying images. Not much dialogue in the film, but Scarlett Johansson gives a really impressive performance.

It would be The Thing and Alien Abduction

Outlander is a pretty good one.

Riddick- and my all time favorite that absolutely freaked the you know what out of me- Cloverfield. I think it’s realism that sells the scary. There’s no dramatic theme music and it literally puts you in the center of some of the best action sequences.

Yeah it was good.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Tapatalk

James Cameron’s Alien.

The Thing(1982) was one of the very few horror films to be able to pull off over-the-top gore so well, most horror films that try to be so gratuitous usually aren’t very scary for that very reason. John Carpenter managed to ratchet up the tension, and paranoia to an exquisite level. Outside of its own fanbase, I feel like the film is very underrated and is a lot more intelligent than it is given credit for.

Galaxy of Terror(1981) wasn’t really scary to me, but it does kind of have a cheesy early 80’s charm to it. Also, I believe it is the movie where James Cameron and Bill Paxton met which effectively means that it gave us Private Hudson from Aliens. so, there’s that.

Well said! We can be subjective when it comes to this though.

I’m going out on a limb here and saying shin Godzilla counts as decent sf and has some horror to it. And utnis a good Godzilla movie, maybe the best since the first.

slither was really well done.

Prometheus was well done,