[Discussion] What is the hardest part of making a game?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002/504/402/2009a427f0bae1a6b46d0512e2f736ff_large.jpg?1409292225
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1663270989/project-perception-neuron

@ theoldguy, then it would be a mocat suit, nya-ha-ha!

1. make the anims simple (minecraft did this)
  2. do more with less (I can do in 16 pixels what some cannot do it 128x)
  3. learn from other programs (unity taught me some things)
  4. keep gameplay mechanics simple (you’ll save time)
  5. use other resources (opengame art is good)

that being said, I cannot create music, and python code gets a bit messy. Currently I’m working on a set of modules to reduce the amount of code written. I’m naming it baysik and it will be added to continually. It is usable, but may still need some cleanup (and I need to write the wiki).

Yeah, code get’s to be a mess.

@ theoldguy, then it would be a mocat suit, nya-ha-ha!

LMA0, good one, I get a laugh every time I think of it.
I was making a game for my 6 year old where him and I had to find his lost cat, (splitscreen 2 players, 2 joysticks) but he didn’t like it, and would rather play my monster hunt game. :slight_smile: So that’s where that whole, cat thing, came from. :slight_smile:

Cat is unfinished.

Yeah I like Unity.

Problem with keeping it simple for me is, the industry has raised the bar so high with graphics and animations, that my games look laughable in comparison when I show my games to others.
But I’ll keep working at it.

that being said, I cannot create music

Aha, I can, I play guitar and bass, but writing the right scores, and adding the right sounds is a bit tricky for me. So, yeah, that’s hard also.

Problem with keeping it simple for me is, the industry has raised the bar so high with graphics and animations, that my games look laughable in comparison when I show my games to others.

What I’ve realized is not to try and compete with them for realism. For instance the images on the first post. It isn’t a high-detail, absolutely stunning looking thing. But what it does do is fit with the style of the game.
So long as you’re consistent style-wise, and it looks passable, no-one can complain. I also make sure that any game I pick to make doesn’t involve animals or people. Because they involve a lot of work to get looking right. Hard surface modeling is a lot easier.

That said, I have been trying my hand at things like water and fire recently:

All the textures you can see there are done in the node editor. Developing them took me 3-4 hours each (for the 3 textures). But with ones like the water and fire, they’re going to be used in a lot of places. Also, the box-mapping for the cave itself has also already appeared in a lot of stuff I make. Nothing here was UV-mapped, which, while in this case hasn’t saved any time, when I reuse the systems established here, it certainly will.

Music’s also great fun. I generally spend an hour a day bashing my hands on a piano or trumpet. Occasionally I’ll sit down at my computer and enter music into LMMS, but I’ve never really finished anything there.

Nice work Sdfgeoff,

:slight_smile:

For me it’s staying focused on one project. The only games I’ve finished were either very small or well-planned with heavy pressure from peers.

Deciding on the name is a close 2nd.

Motivation and dedication to finish a sizable game project. In recent years, any attention I would otherwise have to the BGE has been drawn off to the Cycles render engine, as I tend to be an artist first and foremost when it comes to creating and I just tinker and expand on my game projects now and then.

It’s also very tempting to start new projects, but I have too many unfinished ones at the moment and I should probably work to complete one or more of them before I do.

But you finished something, and thats the main thing, It is a horrible feeling when you think back on all the projects (speaking from experience) you have started , only to delete them. All the hours in Blender, Photoshop, Unity, and IDE’s all down the pan, sure you acquire skills - but not the satisfaction of completion.

So well done to you for finishing them , no matter the size.

I also make sure that any game I pick to make doesn’t involve animals or people.

What!! No zombies or monsters??? Blasphemy. :slight_smile:
Just kidding.

LOL yeah I avoid stuff I don’t want to do too, Like Python, for instance, I know I should learn it, but thanks to the good folks here I have all the scripts I need to make a game. And know just enough Python to get me by so I can modify their scripts to fit my needs. .
Animation, on the other hand, is something I want to get better at. I want monsters, animals, people etc in my games. So I’ll push myself until I get it passable. :slight_smile:

That’s some really nice looking water. In Unity, it’s built in, all you have to do is add it. Same with fire. But I would rather use Blender.

Music’s also great fun. I generally spend an hour a day bashing my hands on a piano or trumpet. Occasionally I’ll sit down at my computer and enter music into LMMS

I have Garage band on my Mac that I never use. I should play with it and see if I can come up with some music for my video games. I usually just record myself with Audacity (Guitar/bass) plug the computer into an amp, then play along with it.
or hook up with other musicians via Craigslist. Should be able to come up with something that might work in a video game.

Too bad you and I didn’t live closer, we could jam. :slight_smile:

All the hours in Blender, Photoshop, Unity, and IDE’s all down the pan,

I don’t delete anything. 10 years worth of blends, PS, and stuff on an external HD, about 14 GB. :slight_smile:

I agree with that. Even if a project doesn’t go anywhere I still end up with a lot of resources I can keep for future projects. And since my project genres only run to sci-fi, WWII or fantasy, I have three sets of resources I can dip in to whenever starting a new projects or getting back on with an old one. In many areas they overlap too, WWII natural terrain can be reused for fantasy or sci-fi, first person shooter enemies can be rendered out as sprites for a RTS… etc…