[Dev] Which bugs are slowing you down?

I came across a serious bug with the frustrum culling while working on the draw call batching:
https://developer.blender.org/T40257

Can any other developers help verify this?

@Mahalin
I’ve responded to your bug report.

@BluePrintRandom
That issue is described here and here.

Should I post the parented compound objects not receiving impact as a bug?

can anyone suggest a work around?

To be honest, I think a video doesn’t say much. A blend file illustrating the problem would be better for others to investigate. Remember to keep it as simple as possible. I’m sure the devs will appreciate it.

Step 1, have a scene with 2 rigid bodies, with a compundable physics bound,

Step 2 parent one rigid body to the other, and then bump the child, there is no rigid body anymore, it is still impactable , it just recieves no impulse.

Is there a way, so colliding with child delivers impact to the parent?
I have been looking into the collision callbacks, but don’t see anything I can use.

A blend file is still what you’ll need if you want to add a bug report to the tracker and be assured anyone will take a look at it.

blend and video

here is blend,

and a simpler video

Attachments

CompoundParentingPhysicsBug.blend (518 KB)

@ BluePrintRandom: Thanks for the blend. Disable Compound in the Collision Bounds settings of the child. The Compound option should be enabled on the parent only. So I don’t think this is a bug.

but in the game
you don’t know who will be parent,

is there a way to turn off compound using python?

No, but maybe this option should also be added in the future. Added comment to T35680 Read Physics type from KX_GameObject. For now you could always replace the object with one that does have it enabled.

so in my script, rather then parenting the object, spawn a “non compound” version of the same item, transfer any properties etc into the new item, parent it, and delete the old?

this will work, but is a little bit of a pain,

https://developer.blender.org/T40340

Reported - Physics origin bugs, and add object.compound flag.

@ Moguri:

I’m afraid I have to add two more to my most wanted list. I think it’s pretty crucial that this gets fixed in order to use the full extent of the integrated Levels of Detail system.

Note that this bug has crept in somewhere after 2.70a official release, so it might not be so hard to fix.

This one would definitely slow me down because it would be ridiculous if animated objects would flipper every time the mesh is updated by the Levels of Detail system. Note that this bug was always around.

Thank you again.

^^This,
I have encountered this very bug, but the blend files that illustrated it are incredibly complex and very large.

The only work around I found for preventing multiple controller deletions was to tic the “All” button “set all state bits”
Without doing that, all the issues you listed will happen.

Also, name each controller you add,

I may be the only one who uses it, but the boolean modifier does not work like it used to in 2.68. My project makes heavy use of the modifier, I still use 2.68 when I need to, but I would rather not have to switch back and forth. I will post a blend if needed, as well as a bug report if it is something new.

You might want to post another thread for this, and perhaps in a public area of Blender as opposed to the game engine section, since it’s not used in the game engine.

Understood, you think it warrants a bug report?

I don’t know; you might want to post a thread about it first to see if something changed that others know about. Something simply being different from how it was before isn’t a bug.

Both of these are now fixed.