Deliver in 1080i 50 DNxHD 185 4.2.2 ?

Well it looks broken to me. Tried all flavours of bit rate and checked interlace to see if that affects the file output, all nope.

Ok ! Thanks ! At least I’m not so dumb :slight_smile:
And about .mov , I wasn’t aware about that, clients tends to like .mov , but I agree that it’s not the safer choice :smiley: And I’m not on a Mac…

I’ll try to fill a bug report about DNxHD exports, it’s great to be able to export to this format from blender.

Beware that (IIRC) the VSE on exports at 8bit(?) so you may be loosing quality before the codec choice. Its a shame that Blender doesn’t render MXF while it does seem to read it ok…

Hi i am having t the same problem. wjatever it ry i am unable to export to dnxhd no matter what ettings i use. its the o0nly intermediate codec that blender exports to. has any on been able to figure out tyhe reason/ can any who has been successful give screen caps of exactly thesetings used? if at all . it would really be apreciated.

Hmmm, its been some time but I had a sneaking suspicion that DNxHD was removed?

it is still available in the ffmpeg codec choose dropdown list.

perhaps

Tried this the other day and you can select DNxHD but it refuses to render

I am sorry to bring back the answer from nearly very top to your attention again:

use DaVinci Resolve to turn images generated in Blender into movies. After serveral attempts to use builtin editing I have landed on this solution and here is why:

1. the workflow is much faster. There is no way to first create images (CTRL-F12 in Blender) and then with one magic keypress create movie out of this. You have to go manually to render settings, change some settings and then press CTRL-F12 again. To re-render: the same actions required. If you have Resolve open paralelly on other screen you never need to touch render settings. I simply press Ctrl-F12 and switch apps to Resolve.

2. DaVinci Resolve is free, easy to install, and really powerfull. BUT it is VERY EASY to compose blender output there: it magically understands that sequence of images is actually a clip. So you only need to add 1 item to the bin, put it onto timeline and deliver. 3 mouse drags and a few clicks.

3. You can paralelly have Resolve open with Blender rendering in the meantime in the background and preview how you movie will look when you have it partially rendered. That’s awsome, many times saved me a lot of time because I could stop rendering and make some necesary changes. TIP: first render only every n-th frame and make movie already asking resolve to fill in missing frames. If ok than wait for the rest of the frames.

4. You can color grade blender’s output before turning it into movie. Really important if client needs his logo in correct colors despite lights in the scene.

5. You can create different versions for a clip using 1 single set of renders.I always render intros in 1080p50 and add 5 output jobs in Resolve: 1080p50, 1080p25, 720p50, 720p25, SD interlaced. With 1 click I can produce all version simultaously. I don’t need 4k but you can also produce only 4k50fps renders and use it for all other resolutions.

6. You can even create 30fps or 24fps from 50fps set of renders or even from one 25fps set of renders. Thanks to resolve’s neural engine it can magically ‘blend’ 2 frames or even create new frames not existing in source material. It can save you rendering time. Once I did create 50fps output from 25fps renders. Almost unnoticable artefacts in the frames added artificially by Resolve.

7. All the problems above vanish. You can deliver in whatever format customer needs.

One addition: to achieve 6 (use neural engine) you have to set an option to use ‘optical flow’ in the retiming optiohs. Google for “Resolve Retiming Neural Engine Optical Flow”