Deformed text and curve based shapes render terribly. Will this be broken forever?

I’m still jealous of how much control Cinema 4D has over the text geometry without having to convert the text.

Jump to around 5 min, the really interesting part is at 8 min.

@@vklidu

Says the guy with the hideously artifacted avatar. And for Just being one wall crying child I sure did get a lot of help and attention from you and others over this issue. Guess it’s like that song, “Everyone’s a kid that no one cares about. You just gotta keep screaming 'til they hear you out.”

My point is this. It’s a shame when a program is so close to creating such amazing 3D text and curve results with such little effort and expending so little resources. Any other program you want to do text, especially if it’s going to be more than a few words, you’re going to exhaust an incredible amount of resources. With the 2D shape extrude and bevel resolution you get amazing results. Those results maintain until it comes to shading with ambient occlusion.

One decent work around is to remove the ambient value from the shading in the text or curve object’s material. That way you still get the shadows and casting from the text just not onto the text. Blender Dev needs to focus on overcoming this issue. It would explode Blender to the top of the 3D food chain. They need to stop releasing 40 new features a year and work on perfecting the most important ones. You can’t make G4, and Fox Animation Domination and Dove Soap commercials with text rendering like it currently does in Blender without allot of extra work and resources, but you almost can and that’s what sucks.

@vklidu

Again, not complaining. In fact amazed at the result you get on layer 2.

When I load up your blend and make no changes at all I see problems on layer 1 and 3 as shown below:

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=40970

@SpiralKing:
Avatar: yeah “hideous” that’s me :slight_smile: and you are black theme user :slight_smile:
(Fixed for black theme. I was thinking about change avatar to something more hideous).

Sorry for notes about kid, but I was quite full emotions from your one sentence after long day.

And I still don’t understand your style how to solve issues.

I totaly agree - any text improvements are more than welcome. And from my point of view I’m on your side - Dev cares about many exciting new features and several basic functions I lack too.

Anyway your point of first post was “black splotches all over the place” in render with AO enabled, when Curve deform is used.
So here is my last investigation to this “known issue”. Render BI, AO, Extrude, Depth.

Sorry, Maybe I’m blind or I don’t know how looks “black splotches all over the place”. We asked you for simple thing.
Now we are on a second page of discussion and we didn’t move to nowhere. Good luck.

p.s.: you get a help from me, because “to know” or “be able to solve” the problem can help me to in my work too.
In time of cycles I don’t see to much chances that someone will won’t to look for solutions BI. It looks to me all non realistic renders will done also via cycles. And what I tried - render with AO in BI doesn’t seem to be faster at the moment.

@Harley: yeah, I haven’t see this from sides I tried to rotate it, thanks for “clear example” - these are the limits of remesh :slight_smile: It’s about topology.

General notes:
Layer1 - ability to change easy text that client or copywriter change many times in WIP stage it’s still great preview.
Layer 3 - mesh with surface remeshed into a grid (net) is useful if you need “project” it to more complex surface like terrain or for cloth deformations.

Sorry, Maybe I’m blind or I don’t know how looks “black splotches all over the place”. We asked you for simple thing.
Now we are on a second page of discussion and we didn’t move to nowhere.

Yes, it would have been so nice to have known exactly what he was talking about four days ago. Just a simple example file would have saved a lot of trouble and possibly solved his issue.

All those workarounds work only so far until you run into problems. Idealy there should be more options for curve rendering in general (equidistant verts on boundaries, filling options, etc) like in that Video of Jakerlund, that would solve most of the problems we currently have and make it alot more usable for motion graphics type work. Currently being forced to convert text into curves to manualy subdivide long edges is just a pain.

Ideally there should be more options for curve rendering…

Yes, love the “regular grid” option and the ability to add “intermediate points” as seen at about 6:50 in that C4D video.