Datablock Tool

Yeah, I know very well what kind of mess you can find in the lists, so thank you, I have to try.

paolo

Thanks for looking at this.

I have always wondered if there could be a way an addon could ‘listen’ for when an object is appended or pasted if it has materials which already are named in the existing in the file, either a) apply a default action, or b) offer a user the choice between:
1)Make duplicate materials for the new object
2)Use existing materials and apply these to the new object
3)Update materials in the scene with those of the pasted object.

For me, this would be the logical and sensible way of dealing with this, but in the meantime, this addon is eessential!

Thanks for your work.

Rob

Hello, it seems that it is broken for 2.76b.
Thanks anyway.

EDIT: I managed to install it :slight_smile:

I’ve been maintaining this separately since the original developer hasn’t touched it in years. Version 2.1 is available now https://github.com/brickmack/Datablock-Tools-2

2 Likes

Thanks for support it and keep it going. This is the spirit of open source software :wink:
I think you should submit it to master. It would be great to have this in blender 2.8x

1 Like

Never done that before. Is there an updated version of the submission guide somewhere? The link there for the addon catalog is a dead link to the one for blender 2.6

Thanks for sharing this.

I’m having trouble getting it to work in 2.8. No matter what I do with Clean Images Datablock operation, I get the error that " ‘Mesh’ object has no attribute ‘uv_textures’ ". Here’s a demo file:

imagedbkbugdemo.blend (942.7 KB)

I was kind of hoping this could be used to clean up lots of different kinds of orphaned data, including orphaned data not attached to typical objects (like unused world HDRIs, images buried in node groups that take multiple save/reload iterations for Blender to finally realize they’re orphaned, etc.)

Features that would be nice would be hash comparison, so that it wouldn’t replace poorly named variations that weren’t actually identical, and support for replacement of duplicated node groups.

Same here. Will wait for a reply :slight_smile:

Where is the sound?
No idea what your doing…

I’d love to try this add-on in 2.83, but it doesn’t seem to install when selecting the .zip file and pressing Install Addon. It copies modules to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons but nothing shows up in Blender’s preferences. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks

I was able to get it to work, thank God! I had to copy the .py file inside the .zip folder and then manually paste it into C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons. After doing this, and hitting “Refresh” in add-ons section of Blender’s preferences, it showed up as normal, then I just had to enable it with the checkbox. As a note to users, this add-on only acts upon selected objects, so make sure to select what you want to affect first before using its “clean” function (found under Object > Datablock tools > Clean Materials Datablocks). Incredibly useful addon!! A huge thank-you to Vitor, Mackenzie, and Brickmack for all your hard work!