Cycles Volumetric Rendering

I don’t fully understand first part of quote, right now you just get black bg? the second part I missed in easter egg thread, sorry, the reason I made this thread was so I don’t get lost in that one, lol.

what If I want a hdri to effect my scene and objects in the scene as well as volume, I still just get blackness?

you suggest I just use a volume object, then…what is the purpose of a world volume then? sorry if dumb questions, I just don’t understand.

Hi Ng I am not speaking for Dingto who is really the expert, but I think from what I am seeing that there are a couple of issues here - cameras inside the volume as has to be the case for world volumes, and the computation of the amount of scattering of light from a source that does not have an actual location in space to measure distance from. Progress is good on the camera issue but the world lighting is still being fixed. So you can have a scene that has a world volume which is very useful even without the abliity to have an image background.

So yes night scenes and indoor scenes look like they are good to go with a world volume although density has to be down very low. And they are slow. Somehow the flow of builds has dried up as well so no idea how fast things are moving.

A quick test using the latest build.

Glass surface - volumetric absorption with density being driven by voronoi texture

Hi guys,
I was looking for how to create the nebula gas long time. I think found the answer.

(Render time: 3h40m, 4Cores 3.2GHz / 8G RAM, Linux mint / No composit / 2.69.8)

(Gas’s material node)

I used alpha into density to transmission, is this right way to use?

@amorph: Nice nebula. Maybe use a higher subdivision / more details on the volume though, looks a bit sharp (edges).

Also I am quite surprised here, I’d expected more volume tests to come in. :wink:

What version do i need for volumetric renders ?
Can i make fog /haze for outdoor renders?
Can i make some clouds for example ?
Where are some decent tutorials , how to use it ?
etc…
:slight_smile:

A glass marble with a red core running through it:

With a bit more playing around - i’m sure it would be possible to create the twisted glass colours like you see in traditional marbles.

Alright,so thats it?
There will be any new commits in 2.70 or any futher development its going to happen in 2.71?

Don’t quote me - but I think Thomas and/or Brecht might still be hoping to make some refinements in World Volumes…

Feature wise, we will probably not add more for 2.70. Some fixes/enhancements are possible though.

Volume rendering is a fantastic feature, especially on GPU. I have been playing with it (blender_master_d490e86_win_x64.7z), but have found it fickle for my computer, so I was holding out for some refinement. Don’t be discouraged! Please continue development of volumetrics :slight_smile:

I posted this on another thread, but just to encourage I’ll repost here…

Thanks for all your work… we Love it!

2000 samples using volume absorption for the light beam and lamp.

Attachments

I imagine they are all still rendering! Notice how quiet it’s been around here lately?:yes:

In response to NRK’s explosion, you don’t have to doom yourself to the sharp edges.

Just create a couple or more spherical gradient textures and use those to build a volume with which you multiply a texture over.

Cycles_volumeBuilder.blend (578 KB)

The only drawback right now is actually a bug, and that is the fact that mixing in non-emitting volume nodes or even overlapping an emission volume will produce NaN samples, with more of them appearing the higher you set the density (setting the volume density for the volume scatter node to 50 for example (in the multiply node), will produce solid blobs of them).

Thanks for the .blend file (Ace Dragon) verry nice example for new users like me .

I’m still struggling on how to control which light is illuminating volumes and which should not.

Can we add Volume to the Ray Visibility checkboxes for lamps and mesh objects?

Hi,

there was a testbuild where volume worked with GPU. I lost that version.Can somebody remember that build number or can give a link for downloading that build? I can not find it. Thanks a lot!

How are you doing this? I have tried to get the rays appear but I must be doing something wrong. I have a cube with the normals inverted, and an emission plane set into the face of the cube (extruded back a little), and have applied a vol scatter and absorbtion to the large cube (using an add shader), yet I don’t get rays by tweaking the parameters.

If you have the normals of the volumetric object inverted, then there is your problem.

With the inversion, the object cannot be treated as a solid (which is what Cycles needs to fill it up with ‘volumetric material’). You have to point the normals in an outward direction and possibly use a different mesh for lighting.