Cycles stars !

a few points here

when i render i the planet in middle is mavue
so i guess we have to get a planet image an upload it

also i lower sample to 25 and it seems to be very slow to render !
why so slow to render ?

thanks
much better the the old stars in normal blender !

I’m not sure why it is slow. In my computer with 1000 samples and 100% size, with GTX 560 it took about 20 minutes. I think it is not slow. Try to reduce the tile size from 128 to 64 or 32.

You can download the file if you look for it in google. I was not sure about its rights, so I didn’t pack it inside the file. It is an equirectangular map file, like a hdri image.

might be fast for you with a big machine but i have a small PC with intel chipset
so for such a small machine believe me it is extremely slow
i mean i did about 1./2 of render and it took close to 15 minutes with sample at 25 !

i’ll get some map from NASA

thanks

I created this starfield with particle systems in less than 10 minutes at my desk here at work. I had done this once before easily. This could be improved easily to look even better. A little weight painting here and there also. You could easily render teh starfield first, and then apply it as a world texture if renderd in teh proper aspect ratio. Render time was 1 min 15 sec

@ Rich33584
can you do some screen caps of your particle setup for this? … nice work…

@ elbrujodelatribu
thanks again guy great work on this texture…

Here is the blend file:
http://www.richardsphoto.com/images/forums/starfield.blend

Here is a star field I made using that method combined with photoshop and gimp.
http://www.richardsphoto.com/images/forums/star_field_8.jpg

@ Rich33584

thanks for the .blend file will look at here soon… (got work projects to finish first) your star field looks great!

I have started a Cycles star field inspired on the one by @elbrujodelatribu but with a simpler node setup.

I have found that noise texture node can be used to generate little stars, in a way similar to voronoi texture node.

The other interesting aspect is the use of a noise texture node mixed with a wave texture node to produce nebulas.

I am confident that I/you could obtain better results, very close to a “realistic” effect, with a finer setup of parameters. (I am still playing with them :slight_smile: )

Here is the blend file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlrwnkjcds6i32x/starfield.blend

@ender.saka that world setup looks awesome

if it was possible to add spiral galaxies or alike it would be even more realist !

any idea how to do this ?

I can give you some simple equations to do 2 D galaxies !
but this might be easier to do with OSL !

happy bl

Thanks. :slight_smile:

This morning I was working to a modification of my setup (since I am going to understand how Cycles nodes work every day better).

My goal was to get a radically different result, diverging from the previous one. This is what I got. It still needs some adjustments: for example spiral galaxies or something like that, as suggested by @RickyBlender.

There is also another point to consider. In the center of the brightest areas of the nebula there should be a start. In fact, usually the light of stars seen towards the nebula matter, is the actual responsible of that brightest areas. Also, there is often a star in the center of a nebula that is responsible for the matter ejected all around.

I hope you like this. :slight_smile:

Here the blend file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/alupvbz3ey1sel5/starfield%202.blend

getting more and more interesting
nice work here

why is last file so slow ?

there are different spiral type
spiral elliptical ect
something like 8 different type I think

thanks

Actually I don’t know. :yes: I am sorry.

Though I did no setup to achieve better performances yet.

found pic for galaxies

thanks

I Played around with your file and got some stars to concentrate into the nebula.

Wow! @Rich33584

I love that. Could you share the blend file?

Here is another adjustment. I tried a panoramic lens to get more in the shot, but it has distorted the edges.

here is the blend
starfield 2.blend (910 KB)

Very good job! Thanks. I did some more experiments and will upload them asap. :slight_smile:

Though. Once done, the star field can be rendered with panoramic cam and used as a pre rendered equirectangular texture to gain performances.

Actually - if it’s realism you are going for - you wouldn’t see any nebulosity and certainly very few galaxies (from our solar system at least).

Even if you could spot the galaxies - they certainly wouldn’t display any structure and would appear as little more than faint smudges of light.

The dominant structures visible from space around the earth are:

1. The light and dust lanes in the milky way.
  2. The stars in our immediate astronomical vicinity.
  3. The zodiacal light (light scattered from dust particles in the plane of the solar system).
  4. The odd smudge indicating a distant galaxy or nebula. These would be faint and would appear grey or very pale green.

This photograph has been adjusted to give a fair representation of how the naked eye would see the local star field around the earth.

The most accurate starscape I have seen using CGI is from the recent movie Gravity (although this isnt a great screencap of it).

http://eurotransient.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/gravity.jpg