Cycles Render Engine Released With Permissive License

There’s already a standalone. It’s rough around the edges at the moment and doesn’t have a defined scene format, but it’s in the works.

I know a lot of people really want cycles integrated and supported by the Foundry and Katana…

I must admit it’ll be interesting!

You can include me in that group! Katana support would be AWESOME!

GNU GPL to theApache License version 2.0.

Wow, I did not see this coming. Totally came out of left field.

Really awesome news though. Many thanks to Brecht for making this possible.

If a company takes the code and improves Cycles, Are they obliged to distribute these improvements under the same license? Or they can keep with the new code closing it without sharing?

If so, I do not think that commercial software companies give back to the community the improvements.

Obliged and permissive to not mix :no: (for a in depth discussion, see this Wikipedia article about indian giver, any reference to certain software licenses is purely intentional).

In practise, we can expect outfits who do not make money of of rendering engines (like e.g. Pixar) to give back something. As tiny this something will be w.r.t. to their whole work, it will still be a huge improvement upon the amount of development we can get today (e.g. somebody commits volumetrics and we have fogs and godrays).