[Custom Build] Blender Fracture Modifier

@eversimo

Looking really cool ! :slight_smile: Did you emit single shards (separate object ?) as particle objects from the cube to make the tiny debris ? Smoke looks cool also.

Yes, the cube is emitting particles also, after the Fracture Modifier. In the particles settings I needed to enable “Use Modifier Stack” option in order to get particles working correctly.
There’s another invisible particle system emitting particles to generate the smoke.

Somebody commented the option of inner vertex groups, it would be nice to have it for emit particles or smoke.

bumpdate… :slight_smile: there is an update for this build, see first post

Thanks scorpion81,
It seems buggy (it is a WIP of course!), but definitely a step in the right direction. Some things I noticed (sorry if they are already noted in comments above):

With the modifier, selection breaks in edit mode.

Pressing ‘use constraints’ before ‘execute fracture’ crashes immediately when pressing play.

It would be great if the rest of the point sources would use the shard count and not the percentage. I can’t think of a case where the percentage would be useful, but I could be wrong.

It would be absolutely amazing to be able to fracture on a particular keyframe (dynamic fracturing with a start and end frame would be best, but maybe too much to hope for). Like it would calculate when I press ‘execute’ but not appear to be split until that keyframe. This would be especially useful for glass. For instance, I can see in Bashi’s video (which is great BTW) that the bulbs are fractured before they actually break.

All in all though, fantastic job. I’m really looking forward to seeing this progress.

No mac version this time? Is your branch somewhere online, so i can build it on mac?

@bashi

there is a mac version in the dropbox, but it lacks the latest fix… i was a bit lazy to build it and that “fixed” windows build was intended as personal build first, so long story short, here is the source (also written down in the docs) https://github.com/scorpion81/blender-fracture/tree/fracture_modifier_oldsim (important, use this branch -> fracture_modifier_oldsim)

@ Jonathan L

Thanks for testing and the feedback :slight_smile:

about the editmode selection: currently this is a limitation in the way the modifier generates the mesh e.g. it is completely rebuilt from scratch and cached in the modifier, so the fracturing wont be executed each time the modifier executes (that would be at each simulation step !) Other stuff like weightpainting and such are not really possible (for now) with the modifier enabled, i need to find my way through the codebase still to find out how other modifiers solve this.

about the crash: yeah, thats a missing null pointer check, i fixed it locally (did not push yet, need to test further first)

about the percentage: thats intended to limit the entire pointcloud randomly. the point cloud can be added up by multiple sources. I found it an easier, more generic way to say i want only a limited amount of the total point cloud… an absolute count would be possible too. The current shard count applies to the “Uniform” point source only. Those two counts would need to be handled separately. The uniform point count specifies how many uniform shards are to be created, and the current percentage is used to limit this (and all the other point counts as well…) Thinking further… it surely might be simpler to use a single count… hmm… i think i will try both options for a while, and keep the most useful one in the end.

about dynamic fracture and glass: yeah, dynamic fracture would be the coronation, atm i still bite my teeth off throwing new rigidbodies into a running sim without crashing the whole thing (i tried some time ago in a local branch) but i will tackle this sooner or later again. For glass, there you can do something with transparent materials as inner material, but unfortunately i forgot the exact material setup, need to look it up. But a “geometrical” solution would be cleaner indeed, like perhaps deleting / hiding the inner geometry or so, or switch to dynamic fracture.

Just a side note on this being a development build. We are constantly improving the docs to give people a good workflow to avoid the bugs or instability. But we still want to hear about any issues so they can be tracked down and resolved.

The idea is to get this tool into people’s hands so they can start getting used to the workflow and generating some good results.

But do keep in mind, this is a development build of a sophisticated system. So all your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks for everyone’s support and contributions. Scorpion81 has done some fantastic work on a tool that adds significant value to Blender IMO. : )

Keep up the good work Scorpion81!

very promising, hope it goes well for inclusion in trunk soon, with the gooseberry team working on hair and cloth, things are looking bright for the blender physics guys!

Any Mac version??

@russcript

@tungee

unfortunately, a (slightly) older version only, it just misses one fix… http://graphicall.org/1123 (see dropbox link in the description there), if you want i could compile a newer version tomorrow… including the latest fix…

that would be great. I tried to build it, but no luck. I don’t think it makes sense for you to waste time on this. So i think best you build it and put it online. :wink:

@bashi, tungee

added a link to the most recent mac version in first post

Thank you Scorpion! Will test it now and report!

Here is one try i did using force fields!

Sorry- next video will have much better quality!

Next try: GroundShatter

In case somebody wants to fracture glass and (nearly) hide the cracks in the intact object, he could use this material setup:

Note: the color of the transparency shader must be completely white (RGB = 1, 1, 1) to make it work this way.

Woot woot! Here is a still image from an animation I did and played during “Weird Al” Yankovic’s live presentation at Comic-Con International. The crowd loved it. I will post more information and samples soon including the fracture branch blend file.

His name fell from above and crushed the Comic-Con event logo. Scorpion81’s fracture modifier worked great. Thanks Scorpion81!

Wooden frakturing?

Yes, it does fracturing that looks good for wood. Just stretch the desired mesh in object mode to get the long shards that look like splinters.