curve simplification script (2.5)

Very nice script,Testscreenigs!

Please make also a edges to bezier script!

Ok, i explain it. I get a mocap animation and import it for the blender. When we import a bvh, we can import like armature, right? So i clicked on armature, find the simplify fcups and changes the value, but nothing is happen :S. I created a thread on support animation forum:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=193973

You can see my problem here too.

drosah: are there error messages in the console? or can you maybe sent me a .blend with a imported bvh where it doesn’t work?

Is this script working for somebody mac on 2.54 ?

not here , the add on dont show up after adding it ( checking the chek box )

Tried on a Mac with the official 2.54 beta and works fine. You need to select it from a search box for the option to show up.

TweakingKnobs: On my end the script is working, although i am on windows.
But that shouldn’t matter as far as i know.

The only thing that is not working at the moment is some bug with incorrectly selected fcurves which i am still investigating. To make sure the simplify fcurves operator works just select the fcurfes you want to simplify directly.

its now working , but i wasnt coming up in the searchbar…

strange :confused:

thanx !!! :smiley:

How exactly can I use this??

I’ve got my F-curve editor on, have my channels selected. spacebar -> simplify fcurves, but nothing seems to happen…

I know this thread it almost two years old but no on answered the last posters’ question. And I am getting the same problem.

Quick demo http://screencast.com/t/Yv0HgTA361

How can this be used to simplify f-curves of all selected objects at once? I have an animation created from the game engine with a large number of objects that I can’t do much with because of the amount of memory the curves take up.

ALARM! r52454 simplify curves script is broken for me:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.64\scripts\addons\curve_simplify.py", line 572, in execute
    main(context, obj, options)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.64\scripts\addons\curve_simplify.py", line 294, in main
    setBezierHandles(newCurve)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.64\scripts\addons\curve_simplify.py", line 196, in setBezierHandles
    bpy.ops.object.mode_set(mode='EDIT', toggle=True)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.64\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 188, in __call__
    ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
TypeError: Converting py args to operator properties:  enum "EDIT" not found in ()

File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.64\scripts\addons_contrib\object_edit_linked.py", line 136, in draw
    if settings["original_file"] == "" and ((context.active_object.dupli_group and context.active_object.dupli_group.library is not None) or context.active_object.library is not None):
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'dupli_group'

has it anybody else? :_(

ALARM! r52454 simplify curves script is broken for me:

File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.64\scripts\addons\curve_simplify.py", line 572, in execute
    main(context, obj, options)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.64\scripts\addons\curve_simplify.py", line 294, in main
    setBezierHandles(newCurve)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.64\scripts\addons\curve_simplify.py", line 196, in setBezierHandles
    bpy.ops.object.mode_set(mode='EDIT', toggle=True)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.64\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 188, in __call__
    ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
TypeError: Converting py args to operator properties:  enum "EDIT" not found in ()

File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.64\scripts\addons_contrib\object_edit_linked.py", line 136, in draw
    if settings["original_file"] == "" and ((context.active_object.dupli_group and context.active_object.dupli_group.library is not None) or context.active_object.library is not None):
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'dupli_group'

has it anybody else? :_(

Is it not working on Blender 2.66 ?
For me, any simplification (with any error value) gives an empty curve.

Ok where is this located now in 2.7x. I can search for it with the spacebar but have now idea where the sliders are now

This works for me, on a “curve” with almost 300 splines
–thank you; trying to make a tuft of wool–
on Blender 2.73.

Any future plans for this script? :confused:

Hi after simplifying curve and changing to edit mode this simplified curve is changing to flat object. You can’t do anything with simplified curve because it’s disappearing (blender 2.73)

Yes, that is true: what you need to do immediately
is go to the curve tab of the newly generated curve
and press 3D !! :cool:

This add-on is great to have! :slight_smile: I found no clear example of this being used on a Curve (not an f-curve, but the 3D modeling object called a Curve), so I will take a stab at it.

How to Use Simplify Curves on your Curve object:

1. It only works on a Curve. Make sure your object’s a Curve, not a Mesh.
  2. It ony works on a 3D Curve. Sometimes, when you make a new Curve, it’s a 2D curve, so… you gotta check.
  3. You must enable the add-on. Go to user preferences, look under add-ons, search for “simplif” and check the box on the far right, near the icon-like picture of a tiny running person. DON’T SEARCH FOR THE WHOLE WORD, BECAUSE THE ADD-ON MISSPELLS THE WORD.
  4. In Object Mode, you must hit Spacebar to search for the name of this add-on, because there’s no interface button to click. Search for “simplif” but do not type the whole word.
  5. If you’re not in Object Mode, you won’t see a search result. If you’re in Object mode, you’ll see “Simplifiy Curves” as a search result.
  6. Press your Enter or Return key.
  7. In the Toolbar on the left, in the bottommost pane, you’ll see a few options. You’re finally there! Adjust the options. As you change the number, your Curve will reshape itself dynamically.

Whew! Does that actually work for you? That’s what works for me, on blender 2.74 Mac.

Is it supposed to work in 2.74 (win)?

It is installed and it appears in the search field, but it doesn’t do anything (no buttons or anything else are added anywhere)…

EDIT 2: OK, I reinstalled Blender and it works now.