Cosmos Laundromat - First Cycle. Official Blender Foundation release.

Technically i’ve been -very- impressed, only “Victor” face features (i don’t mean the hairs/beard) does not fit visually much in my opinion because everything else is highly detailled everything, too cartoony detail-less face for that character.
But overall the look of that (very) short movie is incredible.

For the story, it is much better than i expected, i mean it is very promising as a pitch, but as i said, it’s really too short and i wish chapter 1&2 would have been released at the same time to make a part 1 of the movie with more story development to hook you better.

So as a summary

• technically great.
  • story pitch is quite promising with potential.
  • it’s way too short to completely hook or develop more.

I’ll wait for chapter 2 to see if it confirms the potential of the story.

love it!!!
simply amazing :slight_smile:

I agree that they are doing something fundamentally different to the sucess formula of so many movies. Noone really likes a fat dumb vengeance-driven rabbit, nobody fell in love with that psycho-girl in Tears of Steel. I just don’t know if this is not done intentionally because it can be observed in all their movies. There is always a very negative destructive pessimistic approach towards live. This is not how stories are told today. But there were stories that worked that way and it’s much closer to a great story this time with the suicidal first world problem sheep and his hipster friend :wink: This is a giant leap from previous approaches - I think.

Personally I felt some empathy for Frank. I couldn’t feel anymore than that because there’s no context whatsoever - I don’t know why he’s chosen to end his life. Even the cliffhanger hardly gives a hint as to what the heck is happening… I see many washing machines, I understand there’s a different world inside each one of them, but who is Victor ? some kind of counseling deity ? I wish I had more… more stuff to remember aside from the pictures (which are super pretty obviously), I wish they crammed more lines and narrative content into that pilot. Also that cameraperson really needs to buy a tripod. From the short time during which I worked alongside Mathieu I remember he was quite the camshake guy but I think this is a bit too much. Some wide shots would have been nice with a steadier cam.

Anybody else sees only 720p on Youtube ? Or is it just me ?

I do like it much better than previous shorts: I find it visually nice, except Victor, too simplistic. But compositions, colours and animations are OK.
It is too short to say something about the storyline, but i like it thus far, promising.

Regardless of the amazing visuals, I just discovered in this thread that I won’t be watching anything in this series because of it having profanity. I would advise the BF to please place a mature content (18+) warning at the beginning of the video as a result. Seriously, they couldn’t find any alternative to the F-bomb?

Are you serious ? Mature content for 1 so-called swear word ???
I guess you are, and i have to respect this point of view of course… But i think you are making your life a bit difficult.

This was just fine. Of course, the clincher with such a nice setup is that the payoff is going to be extremely important.

I am not sure how the characters are more or less unrelatable than any other film protagonist is the first 10 minutes. I mean, I can’t say I honestly related to Jack from fight club, or the protag from Inception, or the protag from I am legend in the first 10 minutes… Can people define relatable to me, because perhaps it’s understood in a different way than what I am used to from narrative analysis.

Dind’t mind the Dutch accents. They pronounced things clearly and outside of Lone Wolf I didn’t feel there was any issue with the way how they spoke. But then, I guess I stopped being embarrased of my own accent once I started attending international education and everyone had funny accents.

thank you team BF, all is better than expected… too bad you are from the future :eyebrowlift2:

Curious? Would you have minded so much of Frank said “Damn hooves.” ?
Such a use would have at least grammatically made sense and still conveyed the frustration well, and better than other non swears.

As far as F-bombs go and other language, I personally don’t mind so much as long as it’s well placed and in this case it was placed well enough to cause me to laugh.

I guess the 4 minute backstory on Carl and Eliie from Up is masterclass on this ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLprjxFhs8s )

18+/Mature for one single F-word? If i’m not mistaken even in the US - that has a stricter view then here in Europe - that would make it PG-13 at best.

Such a use would have at least grammatically made sense and still conveyed the frustration well, and better than other non swears.

Well a lot of people really do have a way to express frustration without the use of profane language believe it or not, which to many these days would appear as a strange concept practiced by weird people.

But part of the reason for this is that I do share the sentiment that the Open Movie projects do need to have a mass appeal, it’s even more important now since the amount of appeal can be a determinant factor in how many sign on to the cloud service, which is the driving force that enables their creation).

Well, everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion! :slight_smile:

As for myself, I was drawn into the story, as short as the segment was, and I’d be looking forward to watching the entire film. I did not mind the character design either: people in general are imprinted with a notion of “how things are supposed to look” (recall the negative response to the Hobbit’s higher frame rate). This short held my interest a 1000 times more than the entire Minions movie.

The technical quality was also impressive. It certainly got the interest over at the Modo forums (most of the comments are again very positive). The comments posted at CGtalk so far remain extremely positive as well.

I loved the use of the f-bomb in this film. It was unexpected and funny. I believe cursing is ok if works for the narrative, which it did in this case, IMHO.

I’m not saying I’m right and you’re wrong. I respect your opinion, I just don’t agree with it in this case.

Oh, and for the record, I LOVED this film. Really whet the appetite for a full feature.

Are people seriously complaining that the movie contains the word ‘fucking’? A short film that has been worked on for a year and the main matter being discussed is that they used a ‘bad’ word?

I found “the use of the f-bomb” cringe-worthy. In dutch “plaatsvervangende schaamte” => google translate gives me “vicarious shame”, i don’t know if thats the right word. Like an old man trying to be cool or fit in and say youth lingo like “shizzle my nizzle”.

I am well aware that esp. Americans have a different attitude about this, and I fully accept that. But honestly, you can have a good or bad opinion about this movie, but IMO, complaining about this is just disrespectful to the artists that put so much into this.

It could have been replaced by “frigging”, which would have sounded funnier in my opinion. (But the word is still a 1920’s euphemism for the currently used word in the script.)

“Frakking” would have been too much Battlestar Galactica I guess :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Severin; There are two things here.

• The Open Movies are an official promotion of Blender and are part of the face of the program (people will reference them when they think of Blender).
    • People who are spending money to get content from the cloud are seeing their dollars/euros go directly toward the production of the movies. Choosing not to watch the movie out of choice is fine, but it’s different if someone found it offensive and found he helped pay for it (I personally don’t have a subscription but that doesn’t nullify the point).

Also, I do agree that the artists have done a tremendous job and I haven’t levied any direct attack against them, but I still have the right to agree that the word choice was a bit unfortunate.

Yeah, I wanted to delete that quote, because I knew I was going to get people posting their favourite movie scenes instead of looking at the story at hand. Sorry.