COS [Break time is over]

I asked because you might want to move your character to another servelet. For example, if your friend is playing on servelet B and you want to play with him, then you would have to make sure that you’re also on servelet B, right? Would there be a way to disconnect and reconnect to a particular servelet?

Well, I don’t see the point of moving to another servelet. The servelets are there to comunicate with a specific number of players.
So this is how the CUMULUS works:

1. Controller:
    The controller keeps the game data centralized. So it keeps 2 dicts: Clouds and Drops

2. Clouds:
    The Cloud or servelet is a subprocess that will server all the clients in that cloud. The key is the port the Cloud uses. Clients in the same server may not see each other. The element determining if a client sees anther is if they share the same Drop.

3. Drops:
    The Drop or level is generated by dividing the player position by the level size (1000 or level max length). From a cloud, the client will get the data from players having the same level. These are all gathered in the Drops ,with the level as a key(XYZ):(client ID, delta, alpha, state, target, inventory]).

So if a player wants to join a friend in a specific spot, he just needs to get there! Normally, I don’t wish to have parallel spaces. Each server is just a group of users. If the system is well designed, it should be able to handle a few thousands users in a level.
An example of that are space wars:

If you start a war, you will need carriers. Each carrier must be handled by 8 clients. The ships inside are kept as inventory items as well as the pilots.
Once a user breaks free from the ship, he starts broadcasting to everyone in the level. That’s the grouping setup. If users fly in formation, only the captain’s position needs to be copied. The other pilots will have a formation x status and the captain’s ID as the target. In the other clients, the ships will automatically follow the ship in formation.

If you need more info, just ask.

is there any way to “cloud” the server onto the clients pc’s?

or @ least have them as pre-processing nodes?

So data from bob goes to bill, bill rolls in his data and passes it to server?

Well, the clouds, can’t work without the data in the controller, nor can there be other clients around without the drops.
If you need a client to calculate a part of the universe, you’ll need to host that part yourself, and send the data to the clients from there.
The stuff you ask is more suited to a peer-to-peer setup, where the clients are also servers. However, deciding which peer will host is an issue as well, since having them all hosting will cause too many conflits and excess data transfer!

Wow, that sounds really well-designed, and it sounds like it’d be cool to be able to meet up with your friends by just going to their position, with the servers handling the rest. Very nice work thinking it out!

Thanks SolarLune,
COS is supposed t be as seamless as possible, after all these years, I was able to put my ideas together and test some…
Just need a few hours to have a working server. Damn time, always evading me when I want to work!

I have time, but having an idea of where to stab is my current issue, so I stab randomly @ the dark :slight_smile:

In order to create the first humans, a bio generator is used. This generator is used the first time the user creates a new character!
This is the first model, without textures!

And here are the Hi, mid low poly models and the icon:

Carrying on…

Sketches you want as low poly/medium? if you want some help… your project looks amazing :slight_smile:

I can do architecture, organics etc, and I am learning to do textures, and normal maps, if you want some help :slight_smile:

Well, those I can do as well. I’ve been modelling and texturing for almost 10 years now!
I’m looking for someone with more talent and/or professional experience than me. However I can do the first models. This project would have been much further ahead if I knew how to program before modelling! But I’m before all an artist!
For now I rather work alone, I had people join the project, but I have little time to manage a team, and relying on others has stalled my project many times before.
Thanks for the offer though, I might use your enthusiasm to have you model small parts or items!

Edi:
BTW, BluePrintRandom, how come you are always on e forum? Don’t you have working hours? Or can you use the forum while at work? What do ou do for a living?
Know what? Never mind!

I am a stay @ home dad, my daughter is almost 3 years old, she is on the autism spectrum, so we spend every day together, just about every waking moment, my girlfriend is disabled they are still diagnosing her illness though they know it is in the MD family (Included body something or other is what they are testing for now), and I help her when she needs it ,

I walk with my girl about 15+ miles a day (I carry her most of the time on my shoulders), I have already taught her to spell, and numbers (not just me her mom has her masters in education) and I try to make her life the best life it can be, and when she is asleep, or I can catch a minute, I am here, either in PC or Droid format :slight_smile:

I am a certified autoCAD solid-works and mechanical desktop designer, with more machine shop then architectural exp,
but I don’t have alot of that either,

I am a inventor on the side, and have a few irons in the fire so to speak, here and I build things in real life, check this out -
it’s a little hard to see, but the camera and flashlight are in focus…

I could really use a hand with my game eventually but I can model while I think/wait for help
I am a artist first, gamer second and hacker/coder last…:slight_smile:

Attachments

Armory.blend (772 KB)

I’m sorry or your hardships man, and encourage you in your noble pursue of family happiness!
If you are an inventor, you may help with the engineering part of the game.
We can have a small talk later or tomorrow about how I want robots, ships and other things to work on COS.
I really encourage you to design more than modelling. Your system needs a clean design for people to understand you better. Good examples and illustrations help. You always use he same vocabulary when talking about it…
Finally, please, don’t post updates from your game here, we can see them fine in your own thread.
I’m trying to keep this one as compact as possible, with only vital, COS related updates and questions!
Please be considerate!

That was for you, I’ts not for my game :slight_smile:

I made it as a Demo in about 9 minutes :slight_smile:

O…K… Thanks!
So, what is that supposed to be?
You can’t just pop models like that, they need to match the game style!
The weapons will be powered by the player’s suit. The players wear a suit according to their class: Strength, agility, intelligence. According to the suit, you will have a range of weapons you can plug into the wrist support. There’s the HandyTool, life support and shield that require power as well, so you can’t just go a pick the biggest weapon and hope it will work!
Ships will mostly use missiles for long range attacks, at close range, the idea is to cut or disable the other ship, so electronic warfare and carbonic lasers will be use. EM blasts can also be used but all systems must be off!
The best way to fight would be to use EWF, disable the other ship, board it, get some goods, do some interior damage or capture the ship. Piracy or policing!

It is a armory :slight_smile: for making weapons from resources,

give me some things you want made, and some more of your style,
and I will make 3 or 4 of each, then you can accept/reject models, or offer advice for changing a promising one into what you want :slight_smile:

Sketches?

:slight_smile:

A small update, while I build the client’s guts. I didn’t get much time to type more code, and got my hands on bgui, so I thank Moguri and who else prepared this great module!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6162142/COS_Alpha%20V0.1.2/COS_Hud_Initial.jpg
So on week 12, I’ll continue building the game world, to start the avatar creator (birth) system.
OK then, I’ll finish the birth gui and try it’s connection with the server.
Moving on!

A small update before I jump into world generation.
I’ll be in vacation by the end of next week, and will try to push this game up.

So, I’m back from my vacation and ready to start working.
So yesterday, I started running some small tests with a local server, running internal users, to see how the BGE handles having many clients in a scene. From my GPUless work PC.
I can say that the BGE can comfortably handle more than 1024 users, as long as there are few objects in sight and the data conveyed and the treatment thereafter are not too complex and not updated every frame. In this shot, it updated 10 times/sec. Notice the low logic and scenegraph usage.

So I’ll go that direction, but will support 256 users per scene/level.
Carrying on…

What about having each client running Kupomans LOD?

with a 0 detail level?(not drawn at all) after X distance?

I didn’t get the chance of seeing this LOD system working.
In any case, COS has a basic LOD system, for now just for terrain, since it runs with terrain patches.
But a buit-in LOD system is way better as long as one can fiddle with it!

And since you are watching, I’ll show where I am now: Currently adding mesh to the planets (still fixing code). I’ll start posting updates on gameplay as soon as I’m done with the world generation!

in this image you can see the beginning of Galactic dust, Nebulae, stars, star clusters and the blue cube are planet positions.
I’m still on it!

Wow man nice work, I have been working on my project but i’m like a son following his fathers steps. And I want to make stuff like your making it but different - want to make it modern-tech and yeah. I have made an actual simple legit atmospheric shader using glsl but it needs a bump of power in some places - I’ll use anti mater xD And I would like to know when you go online on skype because I would like some simple help and if I do use your advice or something like that - then I will surely post credits saying that you helped me.

You see you and I are making different things, and I focus on this other star system called Kleplin or something like that - god, it was so long until I focused on it, I even forgot the name of the star system xD.
Well I have made a flame shader with glsl and i will surely post about it on my thread, anyways love your work as always and I’m hoping to try and get my hands on a demo :slight_smile:

Thank you EEW, to tell you the truth, this project is not yet in playable state becaus of my lack of programming experience. Also procedural generation requires a lot of testing a tweaking. In a day’s work, I might implement one thing, like planet spawning position, and then spend 4 other days tweaking parameters, adjusting values, testing LOD systems, and see if all works. It leaves little time to beautify the scene, that’s why, for instance, the nebulae in the screenshot have the same particles(3 of them) besides, that can easily be fixed later.
Today, I had to double the size of the entire galaxy to get the star systems bigger. So planets don’t look so big and are visible from one extremity of the system.
I’m honored to know that you are following my steps, so to avoid most of my mistakes, learn python! I’ll still will have to learn Open GL or at least GLSL to improve the nebulae, gas clouds, and clouds in general, as well as other FX.
So, my friend, work on yourself first, improve your design power, and take that time to solidify your planning!
I’ll see if I can upload a tech video explaining how I did this stuff . Sure, I’m just some rookie programmer, but maybe some will see the much can be done with less…

As much as I want to learn python, I just can’t. Well how do I learn it? I have been trying to figure it out for ages… Anyways I have finished designing somethings and I have a little question, so how do I learn python? Ohh and one more little question, I get a problem with the mouselook.py script provided by tutorialsforblender3d.com - or something like that, so when I’m standing on the equator of a psphere (in this case, a planet) then my mouse look inverts or ‘flips’ to the other direction and I have confusing control, is it something similar to this that you have fixed? Because i think the mouse is moving I global co-ordinates rather than local co-ordinates, I don’t understand this completely new language so called ‘python’ and I am unable to fix this problem. So thank you for your time and good luck.