Copy Particles to Rigid Bodies

good job! the particles from particles stuff is fun to play with, haven’t tried fields yet
and have a great bd…!

Hi, i have a quiestion regarding the script (which is great!):

I’m working on a project, where I have to simulate coins dropping slowly on a flat surface. I’ve set the particles to emmit for 1500 frames but when I copy them to rigid bodies they stop falling after the 250th frame (aftterwards they just appear on the emmiter). Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

hi Unavi, just expand the rigid body cache time -it’s in the scene tab-

Hi, Liero, thanks for the quick reply. I found the settings and it works now. Thank you very much :slight_smile:

thank you. it helped a lot. great work :slight_smile:

With the new tabbed tool shelf in 2.70 (and 2.71), does this script’s ‘Copy’ button still appear somewhere? If so, where? Thanks for this great script!

EDIT: OK, its in the Tool tab, and I think you have to have an emitter present before the button will appear.

This is magnificent! I spent an evening bumbling around trying to find settings that would achieve this, then decided to look up possibilities for scripting. This was the first thing that showed up and it’s perfect!

I got an error :frowning: with 0.0.8 version
Tested on latest official build 2.72 0334be9 with factory setting (2.71 the same).

Version 0.0.7 works.

BTW does anybody know if there is an option to copy “Hash” (code of build) it is always exam for my brain. Thank you.

Could someone please comment on when it is appropriate to use the subject script as opposed to another method that I’ve seen that involves running a normal object-emitting particle system until most particles have been emitted, then using the “Make Duplicates Real (Shift-Ctrl-A)” command, and then manually making the real objects part of a rigid body group?

What are the pros and cons or other considerations of each method?

Thanks!

dave, the difference is that script tries to retain the velocity and startframe for each particle -check example-
vklidu, it seems to work ok here… you can type bpy.app.build_hash in python console -Shift+F4- and copy from there?

Thanks liero. I was too focused on achieving a particular outcome (creating a still life of a jar of alphabet pasta), where I think probably either method would work. But I realize now that the Shift-Ctrl-A method loses all the startframe and velocity information, which might be very useful for other simulations. Thanks again and thanks for the brilliant script.

This script is awesome liero!!

Anyways,

I am running into a small problem and I’m wondering if anyone can help.

Every time I press the copy particles button, the scale of my particles ends up extremely small. In my emitter settings, the scale of my object is 1.0. Is there something I’m missing?

the blend file is attached
5b_pelletpiletestblend.blend (620 KB)

Thanks

2tancommon you need to apply scale on your dupli object -the one called mesh 1-
just Ctrl+A > Scale or use latest version, thanks

I have been looking for a script like this for ages. I thought I would bring up a coukle of issues. Firstly, after having cached on a PC using blender 2.74 with a reasonably complex particle system, each time I launch the script, I get wildly different results. Usually, the first attempt gives the most coherent results and subsequent tries give really wild results. Therefore, what is the best way to use the script? Is caching necessary?
Also, I have not found a mac using blender 2.74 that gives a result even close to what is expected. On 2.75 RC on mac, the script crashes the app for me.
Lastly, running the script with a target object that is a softbody gives some really crazy results too.
This script opens up lots of possibilities for the physics panel. It could save loads of time with explosions etc where debris has to collide with the ground. I only wish it was more robust. Thank you Liero for making this live.

hi chlowden007, cache framestep in blender used to default to 10, that caused some issues and script would just change your seed to deal with it -no too smart I know- now that framestep is 1 I just removed that line from script and guess it should work better for cached simulations
btw have you tried the Blender Fracture Modifier build? I’m sure it’s the way to go for this kind of stuff

This is a very interesting script! Thank you! Is there a way to addit to the Blender, to use it as an addon?

sure, you can install as any addon if you want, will be visible in simulation tab if your active object has a particle system…

Thank you very much, it works!

Hey i am using this script for the first time, and i am trying to make a small test work, where i mash a wall with a alot small balls (particles). For some reason the balls wont copy all the Rigid Body settings from the “mainball”, so the wall wont get smashed by the particles, which just flies throug the wall :/:
Here is my blender file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B85DyXucllUxeWVKRzgyR2NwNmc

hi zamm the script is just an aproximation, and it needs a few frames to animate the position and cinematic values, maybe it could be reduced to just 2 frames, should check… anyway, your particles go too fast and hit the wall in only 1 frame

you could try to decrease the speed multiplier value in script, or decrease the rigid world simulation speed under scene settings, or modify your scene maybe moving the wall away