Challenge #611 (6/3/15) Entries CLOSED

Got myself a wacom tablet and played with blenders vert & texture paint modes (something iv never really done)
looking foward to mess around more with it.

Was going to go for something realistic but after coming across a this pic by banksy http://www.whatsonyourwall.com/banksy-graffiti-25/banyks-thomas-tank-graffiti-b160-colour-39736-53386_medium.jpg thought id try something different.

All pure (apart form some stencils i made to use) & Realtime render :

Fair point I was rushing a bit :slight_smile: we have mon as well don’t we?, I’ll see if I can knock up a new background as well if not I’ll blur it more but should have time hopefuly!!

how did you do you’re spray that looks really nice is it fine particle system?

finalbarrage: the chair was there to show proportions, what was fake/realish and shadows; anyway now that i see again probably some grass or trash would have been more appropriate.

KennyW: cool train, with some more geometry details would have been even better :slight_smile:

umii: for the paint stains you used some special brushes?

No they flat, just made sure they had a pure white background and multiplied them with the UV image but with a texture mapping node to stretch etc. then put the output into the shaders. Where I had just pure procedural shaders like the metal I changed the white to alpha and used a mix shader to put them in.

TBH it was a complete punt I was struggling to find a good way to do it, was trying all sorts but getting nowhere and that just worked so went for it and then copied same idea over the stone textures I’d made and just played about with the scaling and rotation etc all the paint is the same image just with different hue saturation, scaling and rotation mixed with each material as above. A bit messy but it works!

Edit: umii, just saw the image update, honestly I think it works much better compositionally, and you get bonus points for, well, I don’t know have some bonus points!!! :cool: A lesser artist might have taken offense to my earlier comment, and I am impressed you took the time to make a change that, in my opinion, put’s your entry in the lead. At the moment, you have my vote.

The spraypaint spray is a particle system of 600,000 subdivided cubes, diffuse/glossy with random 40%-60% transparency. Upped the bounces to about 30, slight motion blur and DOF. Added a tiny bit of blurring and soft painting in photoshop. This is what comes out of blender:

Thanks Photox, I’ve not done much with particles in blender except a bit of hair and the grass, will have to have a play, I have used them in other 3d apps, so much to learn I keep getting distracted :slight_smile: I’m working on clothes at the moment in between the competitions. re. feedback I always appreciate people taking the time, have so much to learn and so many good artists on this forum it’s much appreciated and I try and take it on board!

knitting bomb

150 samples in cycles. had to decimate the yarn to get the thing to render. even then, it took 5 hours.
without the yarn, this thing takes about 20 minutes with about 200 samples.

Edit: this one here, at 300 samples, took 13 minutes. For those who don’t get it, I take 3d graffiti, and refer to yarn bombing, a recent practise where people cover public objects in stuff they knit out of yarn, as an instance of it.

Attachments

@fcharr, i don’t understand your image.

How much time do we have left btw ?

This is my version of a brickwall graffitti, seen it already posted some brickwalls, but I post this anyway.
Cycles render 500 samples, the text is made with Corel Painter and Gimp and is shrinkwrapped to the wall.

Here’s my pure entry:
“Air Graffiti”

sigh, I think I should take more time to finish my entries.

I made it in time yeahhh :RocknRoll:

Robert that was awesome