Challenge #553 (01/17/14) Entries CLOSED

Here is my entry. I’m happy with the result. This is only my second time creating a concept by sculpting and doing a retopology.

Attachments

blenderallday,

thanks for the response and I will definitely give your blend file a look over.

The issue I was having was not any kind type of technical problem, it was just my inexperience with multirez and how to use it properly. What I did was to make my dragon using box modeling and got it real close. Then I marked seams and did a uv unwrap which I exported into the paint.net program as a guide for making textures. Then I sculpted up to a level 5 multirez. Problem is much of the sculpted details do not show up on the uv map because it was unwrapped before sculpting. For instance the teeth on my dragon. I only knew for sure which square of the uv map they are in so I would paint a white triangle, load up blender and see where it showed up on the model. Most were real close only requiring slight adjustment to match the mesh. One was way off.

When you said you baked in multimulti rez I was hoping you knew a way to make the sculpted areas show up on the uv map. I didn’t think normal maps because I thought those were only for game and animation assets.

As I said in my entry I learned a lot about what not to do with textures. The way I marked my seams made sense for a box model but not for a finished sculpt so I had to do a ton of trying to make the seams match, and very poorly I might add. Also after unwrapping I arranged my islands in a way that made seam matching super hard. Add in my texture was all one image and I was using it for my bump mapping I didn’t have individual control of the bump on different areas.

So I think I went about it all wrong. I knew my time was limited this weekend so I think I rushed the planning stages and it hurt me seriously in the texture area.

But I thank you for taking the time to reply. I need to bury my nose in some more tutorials. Just when I think I’m starting to get a grip on this I learn how little I really know.

Just for fun, here is my texture image. You can see I did a terrible job of laying it out.

Attachments

Dobby and a minion.

My mom once a month:

Attachments

alien.blend (526 KB)

Bufomus

After a long abstinence I am trying to achieve some more results with my favorite tools of Blender, dyntopo and Cycles…

Here is my entry. It is a pure entry with some minor post processing in Gimp.
It is my first real attempt at low-poly style modeling.
The last low poly Unicorn
Hope you like it.

A lot of entries this week! @ Ryeath: thank you!

Jeepstar, please tell me how you made such a soft looking texture.

Creatures

I am so full of Envy this week for GregZaal’s, Mik1190’s, and Jeepster’s render.
They are just phenomenal and really hit me hard at the kind of renders i wish i could create.

Jeepster’s is so Adoreable and it reminds me of how the other day i was trying to make a fantasy pet for an animation and what i made might as well be a kid’s crayon drawing compared to the fullness of design you have in yours.

As for Mik1190’s i am sure that he used all sorts of textures and normal/bump maps to create the detail on his creature, perhaps even some sculpting, and that’s about where i’m at in my own studies is learning how to correctly do that sort of thing. I can see in your render how it looks like you accomplished all the detail almost effortlessly and i am jealous of that feel to a render aswell xD

And then For GregZaal’s
Yours hit me closest to home. There was an Old game i use to play that really inspired me to love fantasy as a genre. Fantasy always gets me so excited and interested and in that game there was a large feel made with Mushrooms. Either large mushrooms around the areas, funny colored ones, small monster mushrooms or even later on there were very large mushroom creatures.
Some people would speculate whether the mushrooms were really big in the game, or if infact, the people in that world were actually really small. Anyway, i’m blown away by your render and… i feel like i want to ask you how you did certain things in it but i don’t even know where to begin! You Sir have my vote d:

Absolutely Phenomenal. I have loved this week’s entries more than any week i’ve ever seen before. I only wish i wasn’t working so much this week end and being sick on top of it xD Otherwise my Render may have been worth of even posting. I’m still debating on if i want to or not.

Go ahead and post it Razc. Your entries usually look pretty good. I think your better than you may be giving yourself credit for.

I keep posting my stuff to see improvements. I’m only competing with myself to try and get better each week. There is so much to learn and if I tried to compare my stuff with those who have more experience or talent (like Gregzaal or RobertT) I would just get disappointed in what I did. I look to their works for inspiration and motivation, not to judge my own works. And if I may be honest here, which I usually am, when I feel I have hit a setback I find myself repeating your signature to myself.

Sorry, I tend to ramble on. Looking forward to seeing your render.

Alright I have chosen to upload my entry.

Without any Disclaimers, here is my Pure entry this week “A Rare Sighting”

Now time for the Disclaimers and Explanation…

There is a word i’m sure a few of us may be familiar with which is “Paradollia” (however i’m certain that’s not the correct spelling and Auto Correct doesn’t have it)

The word is for times like when you see a rabbit in the clouds, a spaceship in a funky rock, or the face on mars sort of thing. It is when our mind will look at something in nature and see something within it.
This is actually my most common form of inspiration and in my house we have the kind of walls that are a solid color but have a funny texture to it leaving small indents that are different shapes everywhere.
There is one small mark on the wall in my house that i have seen for probably 2 years now that i have always wanted to make one day. (there are quite a few but this is one of my top 3 i’ve seen in my house)

It looked like a Horse however without the neck,head, or tail. At the base of where the neck should be was just fire emitting from it aswell as fire emitting as a tail in the back. But for the head, of all things it looked like a floating skull of a Vulture!
Somehow looking at this i was reminded of the 3 legendary Dogs on Pokemon. So in my head i kind of gave it that nature of how it is an incredibly rare creature to find, but a very scary and Erie one. Instead of trying to catch the creature, this is one that you want to run away from.

As for the disclaimers… i only had about 3 hours to make this and it’s been forever since i used fire in blender.
I’m pretty blown away at the entries this week and i don’t believe mine can compare but i thought i would atleast display what i came up with because of just how much i loved the theme this week.
I wish i knew how to better use fire in blender and i don’t understand what is up with trying to make transparent trees lately. It either masks out just the tree or the entire image is transparent. I havn’t been able to attain flat image trees for months now.

oops. double post.

Thank you Ryeath (:
That makes me feel much better (:
And i also feel excited that someone actually Enjoys my quote : D

I really wish there was a way to stop feeling jealous of other renders i see and feel proud of what i can already do.
I’ve been working on an animation lately where i’m just forcing myself to complete it whether i like it or not. I tell myself that i will try and improve things 3 times and if i still don’t like the model or animation, too bad, use it anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

i learned that when seeing my little sister struggle to draw. She would look at my drawings and be so jealous and draw two lines on her paper and crumple it up and just cry. It frustrated me so much that she had so many papers of crumpled scribbles rather than trying to go through the drawing entirely. So i’m trying to take that lesson myself and look at it as “A completed project is better than no project at all, whether or not if it looks any good”

(:

(The Ooky Monster) Cycles 500.

Its funny Razc…before you went into the “disclaimers” my eyes were drawn to the fire because I saw something in it…and each time I look I see something different.

Here’s the mark on my wall that inspired the thing if you want to see xD

In the fire I see the bust of a guy on the left and a gal with long hair on the right.

I see a very big nosed teddy bear with an arm trying to pull it out. And on the tail end towards the top I see a horse/dog face