CGHub has closed down

I think that was the official response NinthJake…unfortunately. Because of the heat Shakuro had to give more information, which I dont think they were going to do originally.

Here’s what they let everyone know:

1. “the real owners prefer to keep low profiles”

2. “We were caught completely unprepared. It was as simple as: “Guys, it’s over”.
    Why the shutdown was like this and without prior notification – we have no answer to this”

3. “We tried every single option to keep the community running including buying it out, selling to somebody else, even pausing … it didn’t work.”

4. “the reason is completely personal. The project had a very bright future, we were beating our traffic records on monthly basis”

5. “CGHUB (domain name, userbase, codebase) is not for sale.” " the CGHUB owners do not want to sale it."

6. “Some of our developers are still in disbelief of what has happened.”

What this boils down to is that whoever the owners are, are willing to let someone else get all the hate for their choice. That the choice was based on the desire to shut it down immediately with no care for revenue gain (sale) or time delay to let the artist there prepare the move to another site. It suggests something completely selfish but also not something driven by greed or profit. Thus it implies that it is entirely senseless and selfish or spiteful (desire to not sell domain/site). The just simply wanted it to be gone.

It would be like finding out someone killed your dog for no reason and you want to know why. So you go to your neighbor who says “we know who did it, but we cant tell you who they are or why they did it. Sorry.” Naturally people would want to find and address the person(s) responsible. I think its a fair reaction tbh. At the end of the day, its not the end of the world, but on an emotional level, I can only see it as both senseless and full of cowardice. I can relate to the frustration many in that community are feeling as a result.

Quick bit of info here for those interested:
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/277220-Is-cghub-gone-forever?p=3802284#post3802284

Apparently the CGHub owners (Jeff Fowler and Ryan Duncan) went to college with the ConceptArt.org guys and they copied or intentionally tried to compete with them through the creation of CGHub, which is why they were intent of remaining anonymous.

Anyways shady stuff, interesting discussion going on over there.

Standard back-stabbing creative industry stuff.

So the CGHUB owners were real assholes. That is a very good reason to hate them in my book.

However if they started CGH just to compete with ConceptArt.org and make money then it makes even less sense to end it like this. If the business flowed better than ever then why end it? Unless they made the site entirely so that they could destroy team Shakuro’s reputation and intentionally leave many professionals hanging, then they deserve to be lynched publicly but that’s the kind of “jumping the gun” that I want to avoid. I want real reasons before I go marching with pit-forks.

Buuuuuut

Too late though, the guy behind CG-Society is already on top of the alternative.

There`s also the previously mentioned http://drawcrowd.com/ .

well i’m glad I didn’t pay to setup a sqaurespace account yet.

looks like that and behance will be good alternatives.